Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Toyota Traitor
15 RDX, 09 TACOMA
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never realised how much choice the American Toyota buyer has when buying a new or used Toyota!

In Canada we have 4 trim levels for 2009, the basic Highlander 4-cylinder, 4WD V6, 4WD V6 Sport and the 4WD V6 Limited. The Hybrid has 2 trim levels, the Hybrid and the Hybrid Limited. The 4-cylinder isn't even in the 2009 brochure (atleast the one I got in Feburary) so I don't know if it's sold in Canada yet but it is on the Canadian website.

The 4WD V6 has a leather upgrade package, the sport has no packages available and the limited has a navigation upgrade package. In the states you can get a sport with or without leather, a Highlander without a 3rd row seat, a limited without rear air (I think)! I was looking on eBay and I was amazed at the selection and different option packages on the cars. We have 4 choices which I guess makes shopping for a car easier, but if you don't need something, and you need something else you have to sacrifice something and if you aren't into making sacrifices, get the limited!

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
That's the beauty about America, there's ton of choices for any product. It's a 24-hour, choice-driven culture.

From an American's perspective (and to be totally honest), I'm still dismayed at the lack of selection for the Highlander (and other vehicles). It's stupid to only offer a no 3rd row seat option for the Sport trim, and equally stupid to not be able to special order a vehicle that comes off the assembly line without a 3rd row. Guess I'm just a spoiled American, but damn it all I didn't want that 3rd row seat. But I improvised, adapted, overcame, and got rid of the seat and swapped out for the bins and cover. I'm happy now. :cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
It looks like there are more choices than there really is. Getting a Toyota that's truly optioned out the way you want is nearly impossible due to the ridiculous distribution system Toyota uses in the US.

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
It looks like there are more choices than there really is. Getting a Toyota that's truly optioned out the way you want is nearly impossible due to the ridiculous distribution system Toyota uses in the US.
+1 to that.

Dealers do regional configurations by model with options that sell in their region and Toyota builds to that configuration. If you want a configuration that is not in the build cycle you will wait a long time.

Limiteds have two options in my area. Loaded with Nav or Loaded without Nav.

On the HL I bought (had to wait three weeks) vs the one I ordered came with Remote Start. I told the dealer I would take it but they needed to eat the cost of the Remote Start option. They did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts