Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Live to Win!
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a acoustik 1200 watt amp for my 96 camry and need to get the power to it. I want to put the amp in the trunk. The only problem is I can't find anywhere to run the wire through the firewall. Is there a hole i dont know about? Is it ok to run it on the outside of the car? Please help :confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,345 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I ran mine through the line that pops the hood. If you look theres a hole under the top left suspension tower and a hole (with a rubber plug but you can feed it through there and it will seal) through the firewall where the hood release latch line goes through along with some other wires. You have to take off the front left wheel well cover to feed it through then I just took off my driver seat and fed the line through to the back. Thats what I did... I didn't want to drill holes either. If you want to see I could take pics and send them to you. Its pretty much what Toysrme did.
 

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
running it the way you guys are saying behind the fnder seems like a lot!! of work

just drill a hole.. its a lot easier

i drilled a hole just to the left of the brake master booster thingy then
under the carpet, under the rear seat to the trunk





ASG14 said:
Drivers side, behid fender:

 

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
abew330 said:
make sure you use thick enough wire for that amp.. dont use crappy 8 or 10 ga
get at least 4ga

It all depends what your doing. All I am running is 1 8" sub off the amp, so an 8ga power wire is all I need. 4ga is over doing it for my amp, and just adds weight, and takes up space. Do whats good for thhat exact instalation.
 

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
no dis respect but duh...
the amp supposely has 1200watts.. im pretty sure hes going to use some crappy if not good subs that are around 800-1000 max subs.. (think about it, why else would he get an amp with so much "power"

adding a thicker wire doesnt take up space i run 4 ga all through my car under my carpet and along panels.. (the panel on the bottom near the door



ASG14 said:
It all depends what your doing. All I am running is 1 8" sub off the amp, so an 8ga power wire is all I need. 4ga is over doing it for my amp, and just adds weight, and takes up space. Do whats good for thhat exact instalation.
 

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
Joined
·
4,900 Posts
Im sorry, I dont want to be a dick, Merry Christmas btw

Using an existing hole would be the BEST/EASIEST way to run a wire. less drilling in your car, the better.

MAX Watts means jackshit. Look at RMS

8 AWG wire would be fine HONESTLY. You really dont need 4 AWG till your pushing well over 1000 watt RMS.

4 AWG is bigger than 8 AWG, thats why they measure it in GAUGE

Inline "crappy" MAXI / AGU fuses work just fine, depending on your application. For his needs, those would be fine. ANL is a larger, more expensive fuse. To be honest, a fuse is a fuse.

Using the wrong Wattage Fuse is what the problem is. Lets say my system. Over 1K watts RMS and I decide on a 10 amp Maxi Fuse. Yes, It will pop/melt.

A lot of myths in car audio.
 

·
Live to Win!
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well merry Christmas.
Im going to stick with the wire i have which is 8 not 4. And yes the subs i have go to 1100 watts. What do you guys think about just running it under the car and through one of the plugs leading into the trunk?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,345 Posts
Stupid. It doens't take any time to route it the way everyone else on earth using 4ga & under has.
Don't drill a hole unless you plan on using a quality grommet, and sealant.
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
I used 4ga with my jbl 1200.1, and it pushed about 1400watts. That's 116.667 amp power load.
You could probably use 8ga wire, But I probably wouldn't.


Wire is so damned cheap... It's like oil. If Super Tech synthetic costs $10 a 5qt jug, why would someone buy dino oil at $1.30 a quart?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Paintedtrain....... ASG14 posted part of the pic, I'm out of town right now but as soon as I get back into town I'll take pics cuz I gotta put my subs and amp back in. But yea I agree RedPhoenix less drilling the better, just don't run it along the door and pinch the wires... My friend did that and his battery grounded out and yeah its not pretty...
 

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
true less drilling in your car the better but why bend you neck and work harder instead of just making way for your amp wire

8 ga would not be fine.. mainly most guys that get a "BIG" "POWERFUL" amp would intend to play his music at high volumes.
in this case the amp would draw more current more power to power the subs at higher volumes causing the amp wire to heat up AND in most (if not all) cases would indeed melt the inline fuse causing damage to your car and/or amp

ANL is not anymore expensive than reg. inline fuses..

i buy anl fuses off ebay for about 5-6 total (including ship)




RedPhoenix said:
Im sorry, I dont want to be a dick, Merry Christmas btw

Using an existing hole would be the BEST/EASIEST way to run a wire. less drilling in your car, the better.

MAX Watts means jackshit. Look at RMS

8 AWG wire would be fine HONESTLY. You really dont need 4 AWG till your pushing well over 1000 watt RMS.

4 AWG is bigger than 8 AWG, thats why they measure it in GAUGE

Inline "crappy" MAXI / AGU fuses work just fine, depending on your application. For his needs, those would be fine. ANL is a larger, more expensive fuse. To be honest, a fuse is a fuse.

Using the wrong Wattage Fuse is what the problem is. Lets say my system. Over 1K watts RMS and I decide on a 10 amp Maxi Fuse. Yes, It will pop/melt.

A lot of myths in car audio.
 

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
my point exactly!! why run wire along or around the door causing it to pinch the wire

like i said before i agree with red (less drill the better) but it makes it a lot easier for the install


Changs96Camry said:
Paintedtrain....... ASG14 posted part of the pic, I'm out of town right now but as soon as I get back into town I'll take pics cuz I gotta put my subs and amp back in. But yea I agree RedPhoenix less drilling the better, just don't run it along the door and pinch the wires... My friend did that and his battery grounded out and yeah its not pretty...
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top