Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Simple.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find anything, so don't get mad at me if this has been asked before.

I have a 2 Diamond amps D5300.4 D5300.2, they're relatively new (only a couple months). I made a 3 hr drive stereo on the whole way, but on a low volume. My amps are under my seats and the extended cab was packed full of stuff. The whole drive was fine, speakers, subs, everything fine. I had my car parked and turned off for over an hour, then when I turned it on again, the whole system went haywire or something. Nothing comes from the subs and the speakers and tweets make this high-pitched noise then some static sounding fuzz then some random pops. Even when I turn the stereo off it makes these noises. I'm thinking the amp overheated cause the cab was so full of stuff no air could get to the amps. Is this true and I need a new amp? Or are there other ideas?

·
Simple.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The HU is an old Kenwood POS. I'd be pretty stoked if it was the HU...finally an excuse to get a new one.

Protection light? Umm, I don't know. Probably not, where would I find it? The only lights I know of are the Green and blue power lights.

·
Audiophile on a budget
1,196 Posts
Schmiess said:
The HU is an old Kenwood POS. I'd be pretty stoked if it was the HU...finally an excuse to get a new one.

Protection light? Umm, I don't know. Probably not, where would I find it? The only lights I know of are the Green and blue power lights.
Diamond D5s have protection circuitry...look around your amp for a RED light and underneath it, it should say "Prot" or "Protection". If that light is turned on, your amp has gone into protection mode [obviously] and nothing will work -- until you fix it. Or...you might've just blown some FETs on your amp... who knows??

Send Rob a PM and he'll put you in contact with a great guy that fixes amps/HUs/etc...

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Do both amps do it at the same time? Try switching the amps if only one does it.

If both do it at the same time, I'd probably guess it's a headunit problem.

·
Simple.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hoping it's a HU problem. No red lights are on on either amp. The other thing I forgot to mention is that something smelled bad...like smokey. Could something have fried inside the amp? The manual said the amp would should down before overheating to protect it...I'm just confused. I took it into a shop and the guy said to check my ground on the wire, so I did and nothing changed...but the guy didn't seem incredibly knowledgeable.

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
did you make sure your ground is clear of paint and is raw metal.. also double check any wiring to make sure its not grounding out somewhere within the car.. open wires could cause a problem.. could take the H/U out for an inspection too.. it may be fried.. or something came out. . who knows.. just double check everything to make sure its wired correctly first.. then decide wether you need new amps or a h/u.. i have a hard time believing the amps went to shit in a few months though

·
Simple.
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, well after 2 hours of working on my system here's what I found:

1. I found a speaker wire starting to strip and show copper and was caught on a hook on the botton of my driver's seat.
2. My amps no longer have power although the remote wires are all solid connections and are intact. The power wire from my battery seemed fine to me, nothing out of the ordinary.
3. I'm incredibly thristy and sweaty.

So I'm wondering what happened to my power and also, could my problem I discussed originally be a blown fuse?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.