Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have nearly 30000 miles and think I will switch. I wanted too earlier but with people telling me not too it was hard to decide. I think I will though.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
I used Amsoil 5w-30 motor oil in my '99 Ranger.
The milage was great with Amsoil. I went from 18 mpg highway to 22-24 mpg highway.
I followed the directions. I changed the filter (used the Amsoil filter too) and added 1 quart after 6 months and after one year had passed I changed the oil. When I drained it, I only got 4 quarts out of my engine (it holds 5). Also, I noticed that my truck started to have a slight "tick".
I quit using Amsoil after that and my milage dropped back down to 18 mpg highway.
That truck never ran the same after I used Amsoil and I firmly believe that running the oil that long between changes is harmfull to an engine.
I personally will never use any Amosil products for that reason.
If you want to run synthetic, thats fine. However, change it every 5,000 miles. Dont run it 1 year or 15,000 miles like Amsoil says you can. For the cost, I think Id go with Mobil 1 over Amsoil. Last time I checked, Mobil 1 was about $1 a quart cheaper.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've not tried any Amsoil myself, but the article I read some years ago, in consumer reports, I think, revealed it to be the best in the business...in a class by itself. My old man used it in an F150 and it kept the engine so cool that during winter he'd have a hard time getting the heater to generate any heat.

Incidentally, this same survey ranked Castrol synthetic a distant, and I do mean DISTANT, second place.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Mobil1 and RP are the only two out there that I trust at ALL...

AMSOIL is like Mary Kay. Somebody in the neighborhood is always selling it, and somebody is always buying it.

Problem is it never seems to do anybody any good except the people making money off of it.

I use Mobile1 in this truck and RP in some "other" things, and I never have to worry about if it's any good. I KNOW it is.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Mobile 1 synthetic is the best oil on the market......period. I ran it in my saturn for 200k plus. I haven't decided what to do with my taco yet, but if I decide to go synthetic is will be mobile 1. Right now I'm around 18,500 miles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Count said:
I've not tried any Amsoil myself, but the article I read some years ago, in consumer reports, I think, revealed it to be the best in the business...in a class by itself. My old man used it in an F150 and it kept the engine so cool that during winter he'd have a hard time getting the heater to generate any heat.

Incidentally, this same survey ranked Castrol synthetic a distant, and I do mean DISTANT, second place.
Sounds like he needed a new thermostat.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
amsoil

I know a guy who believes in it but I had to tear down one of his engines after it spun a main. The engine was super clean but look at what price he paid ,Iwill stick with my castrol gtx 10W30

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
The milage was great with Amsoil. I went from 18 mpg highway to 22-24 mpg highway.
I followed the directions. I changed the filter (used the Amsoil filter too) and added 1 quart after 6 months and after one year had passed I changed the oil. When I drained it, I only got 4 quarts out of my engine (it holds 5). Also, I noticed that my truck started to have a slight "tick".
I quit using Amsoil after that and my milage dropped back down to 18 mpg highway.
That truck never ran the same after I used Amsoil and I firmly believe that running the oil that long between changes is harmfull to an engine.
I personally will never use any Amosil products for that reason.
If you want to run synthetic, thats fine. However, change it every 5,000 miles. Dont run it 1 year or 15,000 miles like Amsoil says you can. For the cost, I think Id go with Mobil 1 over Amsoil. Last time I checked, Mobil 1 was about $1 a quart cheaper.
First off, it's a Ford. I don't understand the loyalty to american car brands.

How many miles were on it before you put in the Amsoil?

You also weren't using the recommended oil for your truck. It was the 3.0 right? Either a 5W-20 rated for 7500 miles/6 months or a 0W-30 rated for 35,000 miles/1 year. Which one was it?

Did you have an oil analysis done at 5000 miles on the oil? Not all engines react the same to a certain type/weight of oil. I plan on changing the oil and having an analysis done in just under 3 months which will put me somewhere around 6 months/5000 miles anyway.

Just because Amsoil hasn't sold their soul to Walmart doesn't mean that mobil1 or RP is any better (or worse). The business model and marketing has nothing to do with quality of product.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
boone88rr said:
First off, it's a Ford. I don't understand the loyalty to american car brands.
Yeah right. Ford's 4.0L V6s are bulletproof engines.

boone88rr said:
How many miles were on it before you put in the Amsoil?

boone88rr said:
You also weren't using the recommended oil for your truck. It was the 3.0 right? Either a 5W-20 rated for 7500 miles/6 months or a 0W-30 rated for 35,000 miles/1 year. Which one was it?
No, it was a 4.0L OHV V6. The owner's manual suggested 5w-30 and thats what I used. This was back in '00, 5w-20 wasnt even out yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put Amsoil in my 2005 4cyl and the SDF57 filter last night. Dropped my startup rpm's by 500 and run as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you would be out on a limb to say that one premium synthetic is better than another. Go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com and listen to the gurus talk about it. Gas mileage increase? 1 mpg at best. Probably due to using a lower visicoty oil. 4 to 6 mpg forgit it. Longer change intervals? absolutely, from 3000miles to 7500 miles at most (my comfort zone yours may vary). Lower engine temps.? likely a few degrees you will never notice. I have always used Mobil 1 in the past. On the taco I swiched to amsoil ASL 5w-30 and gear oil based on what I've read. I doubt that I will ever notice a difference. Amsoil ASL 5w-30 is not API certified. If you had an engine problem Toyota could try to use that as an excuse not to honor their warrenty. I'm not worried but it is somthing to think about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've run a ton of both dino and synthetics over the years, and I'll give you my opinion - YMMV.

1) Yes you can run a good synthetic for a year, as long as you are diligent about filter changes and oil analysis. This is not a myth. However, a synthetic is just more resistant to thermal breakdown, it's not any more resistant to dirt, metals, or water contamination. Proper filtration and testing is mandatory.

2) Yes, you'll see a mileage increase, but probably not more than 10%, your engine will run slightly cooler, and will probably rev a bit quicker, but it will also likely be a bit louder due to the thinner oil.

3) If you're going to go the year interval, you'll probably save some money. If you're going to change at every 5k or 7.5k, then you won't.

The bottom line is that if you change your oil at 5k miles, a modern engine will last pretty much indefinitely no matter what brand/formulation you are using. Sure, the $10 a case at Walmart will not be as good as Mobile1 or Amsoil, but you're probably talking about the difference between 200k miles, and 250k miles in the life of the engine. Remember, this is a Toyota we're talking about. I've seen 22REs go over 300k will little more than basic maintenance, and I don't have any reason to believe the new engines will be any different.

·
Toy Machine
282 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
You sure those numbers are right, and related to the oil change only? If there was a +4-6mpg difference over dino oil (~22%-33%), I'd think that everyone would be rushing to buy Amsoil, and you could find it in stores everywhere.

--Eric

·
Registered
'05 Tacoma TRD
83 Posts
synthetics vs. Dino

Hi all, in regards to synthetics vs dino oil, there are a few good points made by various posters.

any "true" 100% synthetic oil, and there are only about 3 brands, believe it or not, will out-perform the dino oils, hands down. they are designed from the moleculalar-level to meet a particular property. the Semi-Synthetics are a waste of money because they are more than 50% dino oil, and have the limitations inherent to dino oil base-stocks, but cost more than double the price of regular dino oils.

As for oil-change intervals, a good 100% synthetic oil has the ability to go many more miles before it needs to be changed than a dino oil because of its resistance to break-down, but there is no hard-and-fast rule on how many miles that is. The driving condidtions and enviromental conditions a particular vehicle encounters has more to due with the life of the oil than what the label says. That's just common sense. the ONLY way to determine the maximum oil-change interval is a proper oil analysis, PERIOD! Even a good grade petrolium oil can exceed the 3000 mile interval if a satisfactory analysis concludes that the oil is fit to continue use. Similarly, that same oil may fail the test, and the drain interval can be much shorter as well.

My experience with Amsoil over the years confirms what some of the poster's have said regarding the milage figures, and also I have found that on first start-up after converting, the engine WILL run faster, that is, the idle speed increases by about 400-600 RPM, and a subsequent adjustment to lower the idle speed back down to normal speed. Only one conclusion can be made for that......it lowers internal friction.....and that can only be a GOOD thing!

I truely believe that Amsoil, Mobil 1 and any other true 100% synthetic oil is the way to go if you plan to keep your truck for a long time. The other rerason to use it is if you live in a climate that is extreame, either very hot, or very cold. Arizona = Hot, Alaska = Cold. Most other climates in the USA rarely see real extreams, but of course there are exceptions.

I live in the Yukon Territory, which is beside alaska, and I run Amsoil gear lube in the drive-train, because of the cold....and Amsoil has the lowest pour-point, -54F, and I run Mobil 1 in the engine because the price is significantly cheaper than Amsoil, but I would prefer to run Amsoil, but $14 per quart is a bit steep. Mobil 1 engine oil is close to the performance of Amsoil, low pour-point, and lubricity, but I change it every 5000 miles.

Anybody who says that Amsoil is the cause of engine damage, and didn't change it when required ( not as per the label, but when oil analysis dictated ) is FULL of Sh*T. neglect, abuse, and ignorance notwithstanding. annecdotal hear-say just doesn't cut it.

as one poster said: keeping clean oil in the engine will make any engine last forever is right-on....but extreame climate or driving conditions requires better oil/ more frequent changes.

·
Duke of cool
05 Tacoma prerunner
101 Posts
ghindman said:
I've run a ton of both dino and synthetics over the years, and I'll give you my opinion - YMMV.

1) Yes you can run a good synthetic for a year, as long as you are diligent about filter changes and oil analysis. This is not a myth. However, a synthetic is just more resistant to thermal breakdown, it's not any more resistant to dirt, metals, or water contamination. Proper filtration and testing is mandatory.

2) Yes, you'll see a mileage increase, but probably not more than 10%, your engine will run slightly cooler, and will probably rev a bit quicker, but it will also likely be a bit louder due to the thinner oil.

3) If you're going to go the year interval, you'll probably save some money. If you're going to change at every 5k or 7.5k, then you won't.

The bottom line is that if you change your oil at 5k miles, a modern engine will last pretty much indefinitely no matter what brand/formulation you are using. Sure, the $10 a case at Walmart will not be as good as Mobile1 or Amsoil, but you're probably talking about the difference between 200k miles, and 250k miles in the life of the engine. Remember, this is a Toyota we're talking about. I've seen 22REs go over 300k will little more than basic maintenance, and I don't have any reason to believe the new engines will be any different.
Exactly :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
arctic_front said:
as one poster said: keeping clean oil in the engine will make any engine last forever is right-on....but extreame climate or driving conditions requires better oil/ more frequent changes.
Yeah, absolutely - I should have put in the caveat of normal driving conditions. In extreme conditions - hot/cold/dirty/towing/etc., more care is needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts