Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple years of service, it's time for my Corolla to move on.
It served its purpose without much fanfare, or major issue.
The car did everything well, but didn't really excel in any particular area (it started when needed, drove well, was comfortable, good on gas, didn't cost much for maintenance).
A friend who had fallen on hard times used it for Uber for a time (he's now done with the car, and slowly back on his feet).
At just over 30k miles, I think its time is up - yes, I realize there's plenty of life left in the car, but the prospects of using a car that so many random people have jumped in and out of, doesn't thrill me (even after a thorough cleaning, it will still be an ex-Uber vehicle - however short).
I must replace it as I do miss having a daily driver (neither of the Euro cars is spectacular as a daly driver).
The list of its potential replacements isn't long - and I surprisingly find myself adding the new Corolla to it.
The sedan, and hatch, both look sharp, but the Car and Driver road test have been luke-warm at best.
I've yet to take a look, but the prospect of another Corolla isn't terrifying.
As for the current one, my options are to sell it locally, or donate it to my old high-school so kids have something to learn on.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Unfortunate that the cars life in Uber was short. But then again, never do know what people do back there even if your friend is a responsible person. We can't control what happens back there. Kind of like telling a 4 y/o to stop kicking the back rest.

Have you considered doing a trade in towards the new Corolla? It's a nice gesture that you have considered donating it to the auto program.

The new sedan looks cool on the outside. I plan to go and see one in the near future and get a feel for it. I likely will opt for the 1.8 with manual option if and when I can locate one. Not a huge fan of the nanny systems as long as I can shut them off.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It served its purpose without much fanfare, or major issue.The car did everything well, but didn't really excel in any particular area (it started when needed, drove well, was comfortable, good on gas, didn't cost much for maintenance). [...] At just over 30k miles, I think its time is up - yes, I realize there's plenty of life left in the car [...] The sedan, and hatch, both look sharp, but the Car and Driver road test have been luke-warm at best.
Wow! Only 30K… That’s not far from brand new for a Corolla (and a lot of modern cars, actually) ;) . Your Uber friend and you didn’t drive a lot!
I think you summarize the qualities and limitations of the car and the type of users it will appeal to. Definitely no euro sedan, Land Cruiser, IS or Cooper as you’ve pointed out during your ownership nor does it pretend to be, especially at this price point. As such, a luke-warm review in C&D is quite an accomplishment. The only Toyota they’d consider OK over the years were Supra or Camry V6. Since your criterias/profile are close to those of C&D, you should consider the Civic in the econobox category. It’s their favorite.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered doing a trade in towards the new Corolla? It's a nice gesture that you have considered donating it to the auto program.
it's not out of the question, but I do remember learning on donated cars.
The tax deduction wouldn't hurt.

The new sedan looks cool on the outside. I plan to go and see one in the near future and get a feel for it. I likely will opt for the 1.8 with manual option if and when I can locate one. Not a huge fan of the nanny systems as long as I can shut them off.
I actually like the way the hatchback looks.
Though the hatch is joined by several other options.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Only 30K… That’s not far from brand new for a Corolla (and a lot of modern cars, actually) ;) . Your Uber friend and you didn’t drive a lot!
The car was only in Uber use for a few months...the fact that my friend didn't need it for long is a good thing.
He's found something with good pay, and semi-regular hours (it's IT work, so emergencies do happen).

I think you summarize the qualities and limitations of the car and the type of users it will appeal to. Definitely no euro sedan, Land Cruiser, IS or Cooper as you’ve pointed out during your ownership nor does it pretend to be, especially at this price point. As such, a luke-warm review in C&D is quite an accomplishment. The only Toyota they’d consider OK over the years were Supra or Camry V6. Since your criterias/profile are close to those of C&D, you should consider the Civic in the econobox category. It’s their favorite.
I've thought a lot about what I want to replace this car with, and there are many good options out there - the Corolla is a decent entry in a field with lots of options - I think I'll have to stick with another one. While I never seemed terribly fond of the car, I really didn't hate it. I like the new Civic, though the hatch is a bit too boy-racer-ish (it really does look more appropriate for a college student), and I'm afraid it's a car that I'd end up being too fond of, and end up trying to make sure nothing happens to it. I think I know the direction I'll go, but I'm still going to look around. I still want something that will still serve in the same way the Corolla did, without worry.

·
straight cash homie
18,841 Posts
If you just want another beater, just go buy (or lease) another Corolla. But honestly right now, the Camry has some very good deals, and IMO better incentives than the 2020 Corolla. If you're just going to treat it like you treated your 2016 S, just go grab a 2019 SE.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you just want another beater, just go buy (or lease) another Corolla. But honestly right now, the Camry has some very good deals, and IMO better incentives than the 2020 Corolla. If you're just going to treat it like you treated your 2016 S, just go grab a 2019 SE.
Despite my view of this car, the number of times I lent it out, left it in airport parking lots, or on city streets overnight, the car is still in pretty decent condition (a couple instances of curb rash, some bumper scuffs, and 2 door dings). I'm finding myself liking the hatchback more than I thought - it's sporty enough as far as daily drivers go, but won't hurt if anything happens to it. There are a couple cars I'm looking at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts