Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed this in our 2010. So far good features and speedy performance.

Attachments

Reactions: xywolap

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
540 Posts
Looks good. I put an older Android unit in my 11 Limited, but I plan to get a newer version. Could you post some pics with more light and a link to the unit? Joying has an 8 inch radio I'm considering, but I'm not sure I want one without a volume knob.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
825 Posts
So do the knobs work or are they "dummies" designed to fill the voids. How did you deal with the Toyota Diversity antenna connection. That is a HUGE thorn in my side as not having it reduces radio reception A LOT especially AM (don't laugh still need it for Cubs and Sox and Chicago Blackhawk games)

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
540 Posts
With my Android radio I've noticed no change in radio reception, am or fm.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
825 Posts
With my Android radio I've noticed no change in radio reception, am or fm.
If you don't live in a fringe area you may not. I am in a fringe area semi rural and believe me even a slight difference is VERY noticeable

·
Registered
179 Posts
which model did you buy?

Obviously looks like your car was non jbl and non navigation

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will grab some pictures for you tomorrow. In the meantime, here are additional details as requested:

• It's a Dasaita PX5 running Android 9 for non-JBL and non-Navi 2nd gen Highlanders
  • 4Gb RAM
  • 32Gb onboard storage
  • Octa-core
  • 10.2" screen
Radio reception is not the best.
Disclaimer: I hated the stock (non-JBL) head-unit, and had it replaced many years ago with a Kenwood navigation unit. It was professionally installed and they added a box to intercept steering wheel controls and have probably modified the radio antenna plug. In mine, the antenna harness had electrical tape and some other stuff attached to it. The Kenwood died recently, so I replaced it with this Android unit. I installed this in my garage, and the radio was only receiving a handful of stations inside. When I moved it out, it got a bit better reception.

Normal audio playback from USB or A2DP is fairly good with the stock speakers.

Navigation and bluetooth work well. The navigation app seems similar to the Dynavin app iGo Primo.

I reused the MIC from my Kenwood install and put the GPS antenna on top of the MID display.

There is an auto-shut and start feature, which is not enabled by default. It seems to work better than the standard shutdown delay.

The base unit is developed for many different car manufacturers with specific bezels and some models have CAN-bus integration.

Overall quite happy, but need to figure out my antenna situation.

Apologies for the reflection on the screen. It still had a screen protector on.
  • The left knob controls volume and press to mute.
  • The right knob controls seek functions and press to select EQ mode.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
825 Posts
I have no quibbles with my stock head unit other than 2. One is the display is too dim to see in bright light. 2. While it works after a fashion with my phones I cannot get full functionality with the Android OS on the phone.. But, solid radio reception, good satellite performance and ease of operation mean more to me than a large Android screen. If a company would actually make a radio that WORKS with the Diversity antenna I would be all over it. Until then it stays stock

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no quibbles with my stock head unit other than 2. One is the display is too dim to see in bright light. 2. While it works after a fashion with my phones I cannot get full functionality with the Android OS on the phone.. But, solid radio reception, good satellite performance and ease of operation mean more to me than a large Android screen. If a company would actually make a radio that WORKS with the Diversity antenna I would be all over it. Until then it stays stock
From the factory, ours didn't have USB, Bluetooth, etc. This UI is simple enough to operate via touch; and move through various main functions via one screen only.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
540 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
  • It's a Dasaita PX5 running Android 9 for non-JBL and non-Navi 2nd gen Highlanders
  • 4Gb RAM
  • 32Gb onboard storage
  • Octa-core
  • 10.2" screen
I wish I would have seen this post before Black Friday... I kept looking around for people putting in an Android head unit in a 2nd Gen, but couldn't locate much info... so I purchased a double din JVC head unit instead. Your install looks great, and so nice to have functioning volume dial. Where did you order the Dasaita? Any issues beyond radio reception? Did you notice an improvement over what you remember from the stock HU? Thanks...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I

Looks good, where did you get it?
This is from the Dasaita ebay store. If you search you should be able to find them and other comparable ones.

A lower spec'ed version can be had for cheaper.

There is a newer hardware / processor version too, called the PX6. They are available for a bit more money.

There are similar versions on AliExpress. In fact, they have a Tesla knock-off as well. One large 12" screen replaces all physical controls with touch equivalents, including climate control. Maybe too excessive in case of system failure!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish I would have seen this post before Black Friday... I kept looking around for people putting in an Android head unit in a 2nd Gen, but couldn't locate much info... so I purchased a double din JVC head unit instead. Your install looks great, and so nice to have functioning volume dial. Where did you order the Dasaita? Any issues beyond radio reception? Did you notice an improvement over what you remember from the stock HU? Thanks...
To me, this is far better than the stock HU in all regards from MP3 playback sound quality to feature-set. I got this from the Dasaita ebay store. There are similar versions on Amazon and AliExpress.

Things that I like:
  • Great screen (need to figure out how to get it into split-mode)
  • Useful features with USB, Navigation, Bluetooth which my stock system lacked
  • When set to auto-start and shutdown, bootup is quite fast
  • Access to Play Store let's you install Android apps
  • System performance is quite snappy since fairly recent hardware
  • A2DP streaming quality is also good
  • BT audio is also good (more dependent on mic placement perhaps)
  • Looks integrated into dash to the extent that it could've come from the factory like this!
Things that could be better:
  • Navigation is slow to load (stock nav app is iGo Primo but can be changed to Google Maps using data from your phone)
  • Touch screen is tricky to use when driving but with close access to steering wheel controls and a few physical buttons, it's easier to manage. Exercise caution as there is a possibility of distraction!
We will see what durability is like - most anything is made in China anyway; hopefully this is not disposable quality. While there are no moving parts (except for volume and seek) the overall fit and finish of the product matches OE quality. Pretty soon it becomes a well integrated system.

Reactions: Btdross

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does it integrate with the OEM backup camera? Or would you need to add an aftermarket one? Who do you contact with questions/warranty issues if they just have an eBay store? Also, did they give you any install videos to follow! I'm looking at options for my 2012 HiHy and I'm between this and the Joying one. Joying seems to have good customer service with my questions and a dedicated website, but the big knobs are just for show and their current version is running Android 8.1.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does it integrate with the OEM backup camera? Or would you need to add an aftermarket one? Who do you contact with questions/warranty issues if they just have an eBay store? Also, did they give you any install videos to follow! I'm looking at options for my 2012 HiHy and I'm between this and the Joying one. Joying seems to have good customer service with my questions and a dedicated website, but the big knobs are just for show and their current version is running Android 8.1.
No there is no specific web-site for support or any other videos / installation instructions. Having said that, Dasaita does have a fairly large community on some of the Android forums. Most of the install is plug-n-play, to be honest. You can follow or view other install how-to's / videos and same principles will apply.

Does your HiHy have the JBL or non-JBL system?

I am using the OE camera to feed the MID display same as factory. Usually the factory connectors and aftermarket connectors are different. If you search, perhaps there is a way to get the OE camera to display on this head-unit? It wasn't a deal breaker for me, so I kept the stock setup for backup camera.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My system is JBL, non-nav. Hopefully they can configure that properly. Thanks for the other info! Just scares me not having it seem more legit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My system is JBL, non-nav. Hopefully they can configure that properly. Thanks for the other info! Just scares me not having it seem more legit.
Make sure whatever system you decide on is designed to replace the JBL system. I am not sure if the harness is different between Nav and non-Nav or also JBL vs non-JBL.

My setup was simple - non-Nav and non-JBL. The new system plugs right into the existing harness. Good luck with your install. Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
'09 Highlander Sport
170 Posts
I will grab some pictures for you tomorrow. In the meantime, here are additional details as requested:

• 4Gb RAM
  • 32Gb onboard storage
  • Octa-core
  • 10.2" screen
Radio reception is not the best.
Disclaimer: I hated the stock (non-JBL) head-unit, and had it replaced many years ago with a Kenwood navigation unit. It was professionally installed and they added a box to intercept steering wheel controls and have probably modified the radio antenna plug. In mine, the antenna harness had electrical tape and some other stuff attached to it. The Kenwood died recently, so I replaced it with this Android unit. I installed this in my garage, and the radio was only receiving a handful of stations inside. When I moved it out, it got a bit better reception.

Normal audio playback from USB or A2DP is fairly good with the stock speakers.

Navigation and bluetooth work well. The navigation app seems similar to the Dynavin app iGo Primo.

I reused the MIC from my Kenwood install and put the GPS antenna on top of the MID display.

There is an auto-shut and start feature, which is not enabled by default. It seems to work better than the standard shutdown delay.

The base unit is developed for many different car manufacturers with specific bezels and some models have CAN-bus integration.

Overall quite happy, but need to figure out my antenna situation.

Apologies for the reflection on the screen. It still had a screen protector on.
  • The left knob controls volume and press to mute.
  • The right knob controls seek functions and press to select EQ mode.
View attachment 287937
I have this same unit. Installed it about a month ago. Most of it works fine. Are you using any launchers?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts