Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the new 2019 Android Auto, now out, is vastly improved. I am really hoping that we get it as a software update. Please use this thread if you have any new information going forward. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amen. I'm fed up with the limited operability of the current entertainment and navigation systems. Scout GPS is a total joke. I uninstalled it because it was completely useless. I'm using Waze on my phone screen, but would much rather have it on my vehicle screen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well the 2020 Camry was just confirmed to have Android Auto, under the same entune 3.0. So hopefully Avalons will get an OTA, I don't see any reason why they won't.

No official news with Avalon explicitly mentioned yet, but it was the same with the Siennas when they got the apple carplay until it was actually released.

Surprised they had to release the 2020 Avalon 1 month earlier than the Camry without AA out of the gate, instead of just waiting to be released alongside 2020 Camry with AA. I'm holding out on buying the Avalon until I see the actual update...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way AA was on my last car, I wasn’t impressed, and it was not a deal breaker to get my Avalon without it. The latest iteration of AA promises to be much improved so hopefully we can all have access to it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The way AA was on my last car, I wasn’t impressed, and it was not a deal breaker to get my Avalon without it. The latest iteration of AA promises to be much improved so hopefully we can all have access to it.
Not sure what your experience was like, but the way AA is currently on my 2018 Subaru, I'm very impressed and will definitely not buy a car without it. At least the experience was great after I spent the money and bought quality cables so it no longer disconnects randomly or when the phone was touched. The only reason I'm still in the market and putting up with this AA update crap from Toyota is because there is no other Hybrid powertrain options available in this segment, so I'm willing to give it some time... But I will def go with another brand before I buy a car without AA.

With OK google voice commands that actually understands me, auto commute routing, song playback transfers seamlessly between whatever I was listening to in office/home to the car, destination sync of what I searched on PC or web browsing session, etc. this is one of the best thing that happened in the automotive world in the recent years.

The new AA is just an interface update, I'm already using it. The UI tweaks are good, but nothing ground breaking. If your experience was not good, this will likely not change much...

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
172 Posts
I'm holding out on buying the Avalon until I see the actual update...
I don't blame you. As an Apple user, I would not buy a new car again that didn't have CarPlay. In fact, I would be hard pressed to buy a car with just wired CarPlay rather than wireless. If I was an Android user, I would feel the same way about AA.

The convenience and added safety is just too strong. I no longer have any reason to touch my phone in the car while driving.

/Jim

·
Registered
2015 Camry XLE
64 Posts
So Toyota recently announced that the 2020 Camry will have Android Auto on all trim levels. Any word about Toyota including AA on the 2020 Avalon?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Doing a quick look on toyota.com none of the 2020 models (including Avalon) listed made any mention of android auto, the 2020 Camry isn't listed yet.
Edit: Looking closer the 2020 Sequoia and Tundra do list Android Auto as being available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From what I've read Toyota has announced that the 2020 Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, Sequoia and Camry will include Android Auto compatibility, but I've read nothing about the Avalon.

I have had great experience with Android Auto (AA) in rental cars I've driven, and was really hoping that it would be in the 2020 Avalon and would become available for the 2019 Avalons as well. I can't understand why they wouldn't have it in their top of the line sedan when they have it in the Camry.

Has anyone heard anything more about this? It's very frustrating to me to think that the 2019 Avalon will never get AA when it's standard on many of the other Toyotas and of course most other car makes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess no responses to the above means no one has heard anything? Very disappointing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yup, haven't heard anything about an update and I check every other week to see what's up haha.

I think, just a random guess, that there will probably be an update sometime early or mid next year for Android Auto support.

Disappointing? Yes but better late than never

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed, better late than never, if it actually happens, especially since they don't even have it in the 2020 Avalon. Just so I know, where exactly are checking every week or so?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
If it's not offered in the 2020 Avalon, I think it's pretty unlikely they will offer it retroactively to the 2019 owners. Someone over on the Clubs Lexus forums said that it is available on the 2020 Lexus ES and that it will be made available later for the 2019 owners, so there is still some hope. We have all Android phones too so I would really like to see it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well there is hope, but they may have added it to the Lexus ES in hopes of making it a difference maker to sweeten the pot for the Lexus vs the Avalon. We know they could add it as an update to the Avalon (2019 and 2020 models), but they may purposefully never do it to sell more of the more expensive Lexus. Since they appear to have some relatively few 2019 Avalons, you would think they would want to make it more attractive (i.e., add Android Auto to the 2020 model out of the gate, just like they did with the Camry and other models), but I'm sure there is an overall strategy that they would never publicize to maximize profits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agreed, better late than never, if it actually happens, especially since they don't even have it in the 2020 Avalon. Just so I know, where exactly are checking every week or so?

Whoops sorry I don't come here often lol
I just check forums and car news sites. I don't even know if I need the Android auto... It's just a nice to have addition I guess.

I'm pretty certain the update will come. It's just gonna take a while because Toyota is just so slow!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'19 Avalon Hyb. XSE
7 Posts
The "Entertainment System" is pretty much the only thing I absolutely hate about my Avalon. The car is so great in so many ways, but whoever designed that system never had any intention of ever using it... I ended up uninstalling all the Entune stuff from my Android, as I got random error messages on the car display that some app or another couldn't be properly started or wasn't properly installed, so I have it working via plain Bluetooth at this point and that's mostly fine. I didn't initially think that Android Auto would be a big deal for me, as I never had it before, but I also never had such a lousy entertainment system in a car b (switching from Home to Audio takes up to 5 seconds when I first get into the car, and that's just the first of many annoyances each day.)...

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The only issues that I've uncovered with the Premium Entune System installed in the Limited, after close to a year of ownership that bother me are:

1.The app requiring itself to be the only thing running on the phone is frustrating. Any other use, kills Entune, which I'm sure if for safety, but still annoying.
2. The fact that there is only one USB port able to connect to the system is frustrating. I don't know if any other manufacturers even offer / give the option to have two USB ports running, say High Res Music on a USB, as well as the phone connected at the same time.

Otherwise, the system reproduces excellent sound with excellent media, but it also sounds pretty poor with poor media.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only issues that I've uncovered with the Premium Entune System installed in the Limited, after close to a year of ownership that bother me are:

1.The app requiring itself to be the only thing running on the phone is frustrating. Any other use, kills Entune, which I'm sure if for safety, but still annoying.
2. The fact that there is only one USB port able to connect to the system is frustrating. I don't know if any other manufacturers even offer / give the option to have two USB ports running, say High Res Music on a USB, as well as the phone connected at the same time.

Otherwise, the system reproduces excellent sound with excellent media, but it also sounds pretty poor with poor media.
The single USB to headunit is not only a Toyota problem. Lots of manufacturers do that...very annoying. I currently have a Subaru with 2 ports going to the HU, one I have my USB music stick, and the other I have my usb C cable for Android Auto.

Talk about annoying design, I test drove the Lexus ES while cross shopping and the USB ports are under a cover that cannot be closed if you have anything plugged in....wtf?? Who thought it's a good idea to have exposed cable and USB stick all the time?

But searching the manual, the Avalon single USB port actually supports a USB hub. Granted only up to two devices are supported on the hub. But that's enough for most people to leave a music USB and a phone connection USB plugged in without having to swap.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid
172 Posts
I do not use Entune at all anymore. The UI is horrid. Toyota should be ashamed to put their name on it.

I have no problem with a single USB connection... although I would prefer if we had wireless Apple CarPlay. Then I could just toss the phone in the wireless charging bay, and keep it out of sight.

Now, I use CarPlay 100% of the time. It has no problem letting you run multiple applications concurrently. My most common are:
  • Navigation:
    • Waze runs 100% of time whenever I am driving. I like the crowdsourced data for traffic, accident, hazard, and especially police reports.
  • Music:
    • SiriusXM via the App... since it has better fidelity vs the satellite feed.
    • iPhone downloaded music: I have ~21,000 songs downloaded on my phone
    • Apple music: 50 million songs, all controlled by Siri
    • iHeartRadio: For local sports feeds (minor league baseball junkies)
    • Apple Podcasts
    • Apple Audiobooks
  • Conference Calls - depending on which service for the meeting.
    • Webex Meet
    • Zoom
  • Phone
    • Siri access to all of my 872 contacts.
  • Text messages
    • Siri controlled for reading, and replying to text message.
Everything multiplexes through the single connection... so from my perspective, one port works just fine.

Occasionally I will use the satellite SiriusXM receiver for times I am out of cellular data range. However, I rarely bother because the sound from satellite is just inferior to the same feed over the internet. I usually just listen to one of my 21,000 downloaded songs instead (about 2000 albums). If I didn't have lifetime SiriusXM service, I think I would only subscribe to the online version of SiriusXM instead.

/Jim

1 - 20 of 41 Posts