Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a relatively nice android based headunit on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New10-2-And...ereo-Player-/271912875700?hash=item3f4f4536b4
^eBay link is dead

Amazon Links:
http://amzn.to/25R9Qss
http://amzn.to/1U24v6M
http://amzn.to/25RashL
http://amzn.to/1YkKqOa

I bit the bullet and purchased it. I'll be updating this thread with a review and list of bugs. It should arrive within 2 weeks.

This threads focus is to gather thoughts and information on this specific head unit.

Why I chose this unit:
I originally wanted to purchase the Parrot RNB6 when it comes out, but after so many delays and lack of news I'm looking elsewhere.

Edit: Parrot decided to not release the RNB6 to the consumer market

I hope to run Automate on it, that will mimic Android Auto

Along with that, I hope to use it with
  • my obdII for live gauges
  • offline GPS navigation

My wishlist
ease of install (as long as you know what should plug into what, you'll have no problems installing this)
glass capacitive multitouch screen (compared to plastic resistive touch on OEM), can't tell if this is glass or good plastic
Lack of crappy hardware knobs that can break easily, check
Large screen, check
retains steering wheel controls, check, configured out of the box too!
Android (others use Windows CE)
Specs (multicore processor, lots of RAM)
Expandable storage, map card slot, MicroSD
High resolution with good viewing angles (didn't get my wish on this one)

What's up in the air:
Stock backup camera functionality edit: works perfectly fine, even adds trajectory overlay

Info:
  • Rockchip RK3066 processor - ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-Core @ 1.6Ghz
  • ARM Mali400 GPU
  • 1GB DDR3 ram
  • 8GB onboard storage
  • MicroSD 8GB expandable map card (came with extra microSD, haven't tested, it says it's 64GB)
  • FM Radio
  • Android 4.4.4
  • GPS
  • Microphone
  • Bluetooth
  • Composite video input, line input

Table of contents(important things by post number)

Post #5
  • Images of current corolla stereo wiring harnesses
  • stereo adapter cables included with 10.2" hotaudio head unit
Post #6
  • Videos of US L model stereo removal
  • Russian video of base model trim removal, and install of WinCE headunit (not one from ebay listing above)
  • Translated forum of getting steering controls to work with other head units
Post #7
  • Review of unit
  • Install guide of unit
Post #14
  • Detailed instructions for INT to US plastic mold modification
  • Additional information about backup camera trajectory on screen overlay
  • Details about tv tuner project
Post #15
  • Information about users switching from entune with GPS to a third party GPS head unit while retaining stock GPS antenna
  • Details about another android head unit with smaller screen
Post #18
  • Full wiring harness pinout including integrated bluetooth mic
Post #19
  • Video review, in action.

·
Registered
'94 and '14 Corollas
244 Posts
Whoa! I'm interested. A huge factor for me would be retaining the steering-wheel controls, being able to use the existing aux / usb ports, and retaining the backup camera. If you can get it to work, you should post a detailed step-by-step tutorial. Also, I'm assuming that the navigation would be dependent on the data from your phone, or would you have a SIM / 3g connection through the unit itself? Are you able to install different apps on it, as you wish (anything you could install normally on Android, for example)?

Definitely a cool project!

·
Premium Member
2014 Corolla Sport
3,246 Posts
I found a relatively nice android based headunit on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New10-2-And...ereo-Player-/271912875700?hash=item3f4f4536b4

I bit the bullet and purchased it. I'll be updating this thread with a review and list of bugs. It should arrive within 2 weeks.

This threads focus is to gather thoughts and information on this specific head unit.

Why I chose this unit:
I originally wanted to purchase the Parrot RNB6 when it comes out, but after so many delays and lack of news I'm looking elsewhere.
I hope to run Automate on it, that will mimic Android Auto

Along with that, I hope to use it with
  • my obdII for live gauges
  • offline GPS navigation

My wishlist
ease of install (will have to see about creating a wiring harness)
glass capacitive multitouch screen (compared to plastic resistive touch on OEM)
Lack of crappy hardware knobs that can break easily
Large screen
retains steering wheel controls
Android (others use Windows CE)
Specs (multicore processor, lots of RAM)
Expandable storage
High resolution with good viewing angles (didn't get my wish on this one)

What's up in the air:
Stock backup camera functionality

Info:
  • Rockchip RK3066 processor - ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-Core @ 1.6Ghz
  • ARM Mali400 GPU
  • 1GB DDR3 ram
  • 8GB onboard storage
  • MicroSD expandable map card
  • FM Radio
  • Android 4.4.4
  • GPS
  • Microphone
  • Bluetooth
  • Composite video input, line input

any interest in this? what do you think?
Based on the description on the eBay page, I LOVE IT! For an extra $30 I can retire my dash cam and use their dash cam and it will record right into the head unit to a sd card. Cant wait for a write up and review! I would also see about breaking apart the ELM327 OBDII bluetooth module and seeing if you can discreetly splice it into the wiring for the OBDII port. >:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shipped out yesterday via UPS global expedited. Will arrive on Wed (free shipping mind you). I was expecting at least 10 days

Whoa! I'm interested. A huge factor for me would be retaining the steering-wheel controls, being able to use the existing aux / usb ports, and retaining the backup camera. If you can get it to work, you should post a detailed step-by-step tutorial. Also, I'm assuming that the navigation would be dependent on the data from your phone, or would you have a SIM / 3g connection through the unit itself? Are you able to install different apps on it, as you wish (anything you could install normally on Android, for example)?

Definitely a cool project!
Almost any Android app will run fine, there's a very large community for these on xda-developers forum. They have guides and workarounds for most apps including patched & updated native apps for the radio, etc.

The listing says it has a cellular modem, I would have to see where the SIM slot is then, but it will work off bluetooth or wifi hotspot from a phone.
Also, there are a few navigation apps that can work offline.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've got some promising news. I found the original seller on aliexpress who I assume manufacturers these head units.

Their listing has higher-res images of the box contents

I'm going to say that very minimal splicing of existing cables will be needed after seeing these images

^base model Corolla L

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's some new info

I found a youtube video of what I believe is a base model RU Toyota Corolla, with double DIN slot blanks.
The guy removes the trim and installs a 7" Windows CE headunit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zNYsOw_IPo

Another video of the US base model Corolla L, dash trim and stereo removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcJ6NgfMC7A

Russian translated discussion of getting steering controls to work on a RAV4 with a different head unit
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.redpower.su%2Fyaponskijj-avtoprom-f60%2Fdorabotka-knopok-rulya-tojjotakh-t5882.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My Review

Setup and integration
All wiring is included, no special cables need to be made
Steering wheel controls are working and set up out of the box
Air conditioning/heat overlay is present in the UI
Door ajar sensor overlay is present in the UI
unit can talk to ecu to enable/disable door locking when shifted into drive and other features
unit has the same fuel mileage/trip info app, almost identical to the one present in the stock headunit
backup camera works fine, and even when android isn't booted. it's triggered quickly, and seems to be more clear than the stock unit.

Fit and finish
Fits Non US cars with clock on the right, so slight modification needed
Unit is being held in by clips, no place to put screws in since the screen and surround goes in at the same time
Seems sturdy, the unit is angled downward so unless your car is upside down, it shouldn’t move at all.
Screen may be plastic or glass, I can’t tell. It flexes a little like gorilla glass, but doesn’t feel like plastic either.
The airbag notification light assembly isn't a perfect fit in shape, It snaps and locks in, but the edges are slightly off(see pics). It's barely noticeable

Connectivity
Wifi isn’t very strong, bluetooth works fine
FM radio signal is great, but needs a little work in terms of sound quality (de-emphasis)
An audible fan is present in the back of the unit, it stays on 30 seconds after key is removed.

Other
Amp occasionally pops, you can hear a hiss when the built in amp is on (This happened to be a QC issue on my model, got a free replacement and now it works good)
There is an extra AV input, and USB port, total of 2 ports, one that adapts to the one below the head unit, and one that can go in the glovebox, (great for 3G modems)
I haven’t tested the built in USB or Line In integration, but I assume it works.

This is all out of the box, I might be able to find patches for these issues since other people have the same problems. There are probably some firmware upgrades I can apply to fix these

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS AND PICTURES
VIDEO REVIEW

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love this post!! can you also put a wallpaper on that headunit and I didn't understand the "global and US" trim shave down. So if your car is global you have to trim it down to make it fit?
If your car is the US model, some of the clips on the new head unit don't have corresponding holes in the dash. So to fix this, just get pliers break off the plastic clips on the new headunit.

international models dash goes heater,heater,clock while ours go heater,clock,heater. I can only assume that's why they're different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One more question, I see that there's a "mic" hole on the headunit and then I also see that you add that other mic sticking outside on the vent. Do you need the one sticking out for it to work or can we just use the one on the headunit. Thanks looking forward to possibly buying this but I want to see how it will hold up for you first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more question, I see that there's a "mic" hole on the headunit and then I also see that you add that other mic sticking outside on the vent. Do you need the one sticking out for it to work or can we just use the one on the headunit. Thanks looking forward to possibly buying this but I want to see how it will hold up for you first.
I think one is for google features, and one is connected directly to the MCU for bluetooth.

Here's a wiki about MCU's http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Generic_Android_Head_Unit/MCU_Explained

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tempted to buy this can you post some youtube video of the unit in operation? Also, was there no way to use the existing gps/radio antenna from the car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQWsDLVa0AA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgMqVxSs1Eg

The GPS antenna uses different frequencies than the FM one, that's why the puck is in the corner window. The signal quality is as good as the stock radio, but the DSP isn't as good as the stock radio.

There was an issue with the amp capacitors, quality control is a problem with these units

Note about how RMAs are handled by the seller: We discussed the problem back and forth, I sent him a few videos of the issue to make sure it was a hardware issue. He also sent me a firmware update. He confirmed it was a hardware issue(my guess is capacitor). The seller sent me a prepaid UPS label to ship to Washington so the unit could be repaired, once he saw the tracking show my bad unit shipped from its origin, he shipped me out a new one via DHL from China. (not true cross-shipping, but delayed cross shipping)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another update on this project

The hiss and pop issues are solved, this was a QC issue with my head unit.

As mentioned by the previous post, they sent me a new one via UPS, I sent the old one to their repair person in OR.

Backup camera with trajectory
There are a few features I didn't previously discover, most importantly is backup camera trajectory. You can turn it on in the settings app, it reads the steering wheel position and overlays an interactive sight and distance line on the backup camera image. One thing to note is, the stock backup camera in our cars have the OEM static distance lines burned into the camera, so you see 2 overlays when using the backup cam with trajectory backup. Not a big deal

TV Tuner
Since this model, or most head units for that matter don't have a built in digital TV tuners, I'll be wiring up a DTV adapter that converts over the air TV signals, to composite video and RCA audio out, which can be input by the included aux in pigtails on the stereo. The line in app can also do video, so I'll be able to watch TV in my car if I want.

I'm a ham radio operator, so I installed a magmount antenna on my trunk a while ago, it's designed for police frequencies, but should work fine for DTV reception.

From what I can tell, the DTV box runs off a 12V adapter. I can just hardwire this, and shove it into the glovebox

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A33TB6JVOMNYYJ

Detailed plastic trimming for US conversion
Here are some better pictures of where I needed to trim plastic to get the stereo to fit in my car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a few more units are making their way to the market, this one looks a bit more like the stock corolla radio.

I also found an adapter to utilize the stock toyota gps connector.

I have the S Plus so I have entune with navigation. Now if I can just figure out how to use the built in microphone in my car. How is the call quality with the external mic Tyler?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is the call quality with the external mic Tyler?
I'm still not completely sure which microphone does what.

I'll have to do some testing, the external mic is pretty bad. I'll figure something out that should hopefully use the stock mic for bluetooth, and android.

also, can you link me the listing for that head unit

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I unplugged all the external mics, so it was just the spot that says mic on the head unit, and the in-car OEM mic built into the headliner. I tried bluetooth, then an android voice recording app
I didn't hear anything through a bluetooth call or a voice recording

So, the head units mic must not work, and the wiring harness for the cars OEM mic isn't hooked up. Only working is if you plug a mic in using the 3.5mm slot on the back.

I did some more research. Here's a full wiring harness pinout.

the 28 pin connector has the mic inputs, but it also requires a 5V source, since the mic is powered itself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.