Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugggh. I got my car back from an oil change (no I don't change my own oil :rolleyes: ) and after that this annoying vibration started happening.

There is a loud vibration noise in the very front of the car on the drivers side (on the extreme left) that seems like it could even be coming from under the hood. This happens around 1,000 rpm when the engine is cold and the transmission is engaged (in reverse or drive). Sometimes the car has to reach almost halfway on the temperature gauge for the noise to stop. It only happens at 1,000 rpm, whether standing or driving.

There are no lights, no leaks, no effect on performance so it's nothing serious. It's just a loud noise that (even though it goes away) annoys the shit out of me.

I'm gonna check under the hood for anything that could be vibrating and if there's nothing there I'm gonna take it to my DEALER.

So help me out before I do. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It could be so many things. but if its mainly associated with your engine rpm then i'd check mounts for anything large in size. if your transmission mount is loose then you could probably feel it vibrate like crazy when you put your hand on the gear shifter. If you can't figure it out go back to where they worked on your car and tell them what happened. I'm sure they would be glad to fix your problem free of charge.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it's not like you can feel the vibration a lot, it's really more of just a noise thing.

Yea I was thinking it was the engine mounts, or transmission mounts I guess. Those would be expensive to replace cause you gotta lift the engine out dont you? Well for the engine mounts at least. Where do I find them and how do I check them? I got a Haynes repair manual so it'll prolly be in there. Anyway tomorrow I'm just gonna call up the people that did my oil and NYSI and tell them to fix it.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Those would be expensive to replace cause you gotta lift the engine out dont you
Nope, you just have to support the engine so that it doesnt fall out when you remove the mounts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like muffler or exhaust vibration. Have you checked this?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's definitely not the muffler, cause it's coming from like in front of the steering wheel. I'm gonna get the mechanic to check out the engine mounts cause even though I read how to do it, I'm too lazy. :lol:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Na I checked under the hood, without actually digging too deep, and couldn't find anything that could be causing that noise. The heat shield was secure and not rattling, and there was nothing that looked wrong.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my dealer checked it out, and they said I have aftermarket cruise control. I was like um no way, the dealership that I bought the car from (Toyota of Iowa City, Iowa) installed the cruise control themselves. Turns out they put a non Toyota cruise control in. But thats not the point. The point is that when I was getting my oil changed they touched some wire from the cruise control that came loose and started rattling against the hood. So they secured the wire (free of charge) and told me it's all good. And now it's all good.:lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad it was just a wire - phew! How goods is the aftermarket cruise? How much did it cost?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer put it in for free when I bought the car in Iowa City, IA in 1995. I didn't even know it was aftermarket up until today.

I don't even know if those Corollas came with cruise as a factory option.

Works just fine I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts