Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first apply the brake in the morning I can hear a thunk, and then that happens no more but I think I can hear the brakes rattling over bumps when I have my windows down. It happens on the right side, and that is where the thunk comes from when I apply the brakes first thing in the morning as well. Has this happened to anyone and is there a way to fix it. I don't know much about tinkering with brakes, and I'm not sure if it's the discs in the front or the drum in the rear. 2009 Taco, thanks all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want to handle it yourself, you can approach it one of two ways:

1. As a noise problem.
  2. As a brake problem.
If you approach it as a noise problem, I always find it easier to have a helper. You can stand outside the car near the front wheel and have the helper roll past you and apply the brakes to see if you can localize the thunk to the front or rear. You can also have them drive by you in a parking lot to see if you can localize the rattle. It may be two different things.

If you approach it as a brake problem, you need to pull off your wheels and inspect the brakes. There are plenty of on-line resources to help you in that, including the Factory Service Manual, which has specific inspection sections for the Taco.

You could also take it to a local brake shop that does free inspections and see if they'll let you peak over their shoulders while they check them. You don't have to pay them to fix anything they find; you can go home and do it yourself once they diagnose the problem if you like.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
As far as the first clunk with the brakes, totally normal. It's the design of the brakes on the Tacoma that allows the pads to shift and "Clunk" or "Ting" against the pins holding them in place. Some say they get worse as they wear down, but I think they're just as loud when they're new. IIRC, there is a TSB the dealership can perform to quiet them down a little bit (by adding grease to the backing plates or something like that), but that's just a small band-aid. The noise is completely normal.

As far as the rattle over bumps, are you sure it's your brakes rattling over the bumps? I wouldn't just assume it's the same thing since there are many causes of rattles outside the truck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Moose,

I never noticed the brake clunk until I got past 60k. Now they clunk every time I go from reverse to forward and visey versy. My pads are still hardly worn down at all. Is there a clip or spring in there that keeps the pads from shifting? Maybe it's worn and weak? Is there a way to shim up any slack in there without causing another problem? Could it be the only fix is to replace the pads even though they still have most of the friction material remaining?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Moose,

I never noticed the brake clunk until I got past 60k. Now they clunk every time I go from reverse to forward and visey versy. My pads are still hardly worn down at all. Is there a clip or spring in there that keeps the pads from shifting? Maybe it's worn and weak? Is there a way to shim up any slack in there without causing another problem? Could it be the only fix is to replace the pads even though they still have most of the friction material remaining?
There's no clip in there to keep them from moving. I changed my front pads at 48K miles and didn't notice them getting any quieter. I don't know if mine have always been noisy or if I just noticed it with more miles. Next time I do them, I'll have to see if the play is in the pads or the caliper, or both maybe? The pin slides through the outer side of the caliper then through the pads then through the inner side of the caliper. So if the holes in the caliper and pads are a little bigger than the pins, then you hear them shifting when you change directions and apply the brake pedal...thus the clunk. My concern is that over time the clunking will cause wear in the pins. I'm getting a lot more miles out of the second set of OEM pads than the 1st (1st was at 48K miles, and I just passed 100K miles so I have over 52K on the second set with a lot more pad left...must be more highway miles). Anyway, when I change them next time, I'll have to check the pins for wear. Now if Toyota would have built in some nylon bushings where the pins slide through, then we wouldn't hear them at all. But then the nylon bushings would probably melt. Maybe that's why nothing's been changed on the design with regard to the clunking noise...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep, my '05 taco does it also. But just a few times a week. And only going from reverse to forward. And it's not that loud. I have a little over 56K on her with very little brake wear.

Now my '08 Corolla does it all the time from reverse to forward. And it's louder.....POP POP!!

Talked to several 'yota mechs, and they all say it's ok. Maybe not quite "normal". But nothing in there is getting bent/buckled or twisted.

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Moose, good to know the brake clunk is normal. It's exactly as desrcibed. I did check the entire undercarriage for something else on the rattle. Pulled and banged on everything under there to no avail. Maybe I'll bring it in for a quick peak by the dealer since I can't find anything. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the same rattle when driving over bumps and pot holes. The noise would not occur when slight brake pressure was applied.

There is a fix and it's on a TSB.... It involved pulling the front pads and apply this special Toyota white grease to the metal edges of the pads where they contact the caliper. The grease is so thick that it actually prevents the rattle when going over such bumps & pot holes. It is NOT anti squeal grease.

I was skeptical until I road tested.... six months later and noise in still gone.

I can get the Toyota number for the grease if you want it. It's about $40 for a tube. I also have a copy of the TSB somewhere.

Hope this helps, as I was getting discouraged having my 08 Tacoma sound like a 1955 bucket of bolts.

Found the TSB BR005-07

--Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
I noticed the EXACT same thing this morning at the Rotten Ronnie's drive-thru. I've only had the truck for 3+ weeks and just now noticed it. I was after driving 40-50kms earlier so the truck was quite warmed up. When I inched forward and stopped, thats when it would clunk..as I stopped. So I'm not sure if thats the same thing or not as the OP described and others responded.

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CCRT, much thanks. I tested this recently by driving over bumps and applying the brakes and yes the sound diminished. Time to get some grease! Thanks for the TSB and grease info!

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grease has been applied. Was swerving trying to hit all the bumps and potholes on my way home! So far so good! Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts