Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here. Got a 2000 SLE Solara with a little under 60K mi on it.

Got a question here: the break light comes on whenever I make a 90 degree left turn going at about 20-25 mph. It stays on for a mile after the turn then goes away.

Knowing the driving habit of the car's primary driver (my gf -_- who has problem avoiding the curb when trying to make a right turn to pull into parking lot), I naively thought the right front and rear wheels were probably mis-aligned that they were interferring with the break pads. So, I took the car in for alignment. But that apparently did not fix the problem. Any of you have any idea before I take it in and have those car people try to make me spend more money than I have to? Thanks a million in advance! :)

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
About the brake light, check the brake fluid level. Could be time for new brakes also. Check the wear on the front and rear brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, I did check the break fluid level, and it was fine. I also ruled out worn break pads because the problem seemed to be "turn-specific". Now I have noticed that the break light comes on even when I am not making a turn. I just hope the car doesn't lose the ability to stop when I need it haha And if that's Solara's way of telling me the break pads need to be replaced, I think I'd still prefer hearing the squeaking warning sound.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
as brake pads wear out, the reservoir level goes down because fluid is needed to fill up space as the pads get thinner. You will still hear the brake squeal when they get low.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are only 2 circuits that would illuminate the brake warning lamp on the dash. The brake fluid level sensor on the reservoir, and the parking brake circuit. It appears there might me a short in either of the 2 circuits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It happens to me too

I relized that it happens to me too. The thing that might be the problem is that u need to change your emergency brakes.

To my understanding, it is the emergency light that comes on.

if it is fix the emergency brakes.

·
Gangsta SC400 & 5.7Tundra
3,836 Posts
PimpMastaSolara said:
To my understanding, it is the emergency light that comes on.

if it is fix the emergency brakes.

Wrong buddy, it is to check your resevior, and your break pads all around....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thank you all for all the tips. Now, the red brake light only comes on when I make a left turn; it never comes on when I make a right turn. I just thought that is a bit strange.

And if the brake light was not annoying enough, now I got a bigger problem: engine check light came on after I changed oil and oil filter and poured a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. I will start a need thread for this if my gf decided to spare my life :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts