Toyota Nation Forum banner

Another 3sgte Gen 3

2205 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  94CoupeV6
I thought Allen was the only one with a Gen 3 3sgte camry....guess not?
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/camry/2/a2727732-3f27-41b5-a254-afe2e8993794.htm
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· camry Wookie
426 Posts
nah, there's a few out there. I'm pretty sure that Wraith finally arrived at the 3sgte after boosting the 5sfe and then building the 5sgte and then went to the 3sgte. and i know theres at least a couple out there in the process of doing the swap as we speak.

· God Machine
Camry
538 Posts
There is a guy around Montreal who just swapped a 3sgte in his 3rd gen

A friend of me working at a speed shop is currently doing the wiring and some little things..

· PICKLE GANGSTER
3,222 Posts
I still don't want a 3sgte more than a v6. V6 has so much more power potential then the 3s. Hell just look at tony. I'd like to see any 3s camry take him. I figure its worth the extra cost in custom parts.

· God Machine
Camry
538 Posts
Rdizzle said:
I still don't want a 3sgte more than a v6. V6 has so much more power potential then the 3s. Hell just look at tony. I'd like to see any 3s camry take him. I figure its worth the extra cost in custom parts.
I'm a V6 guy.. but I must admit that the 3sgte have a lot of potencial and I don't think it's really worth upgrading a 3vzfe to 3-400hp (or more) unless you want to say that you did it.. because you can pretty much get the same result with bolt on parts on a 3sgte

I was planning on getting a jdm 3vzfe this winter and get to 250-260hp.. but I realised that for the same amount of money I can get a 3sgte doing ~300hp with a similar lbs-ft of torque that I would get with the 3vzfe by spending maybe twice or more the same amount of money..

When the engine cost more than the car.. maybe there is a problem ;)

· My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,301 Posts
I went with a V6 for several reasons:

1) It was much cheaper to do a starter turbo setup with the current V6 motor. $1700 vs a 3S-GTE swap which could end up being $3500+

2) With my tools and skills at that time, I was only able to do basic fabrication (welding, etc), but I do not have the space to start dropping engines and swapping motors.

3) In the long run, it was about the same price to fully build the 1MZ-FE to go upwards of 500+ HP compared to fully building a 3S-GTE; both motors would need forged internals, machine work, turbos and manifolds, and the same series of fuel/management/electronics/supporting mods and driveline upgrades.

4) You can't beat the advantage of added displacement. Especially on pump gas, you simply cannot make 500-550 WHP on pump gas with a 3S-GTE. The V6 also has a lot more beef to push a big turbo with big numbers so you don't end up with a 1500RPM powerband.

I am a pure V6 guy myself, and unless my Camry came with a 4-cyl, I would never swap to something smaller. 260 WHP on a stock 1MZ-FE (wither bolt-on a TRD SC or a simple turbo kit) is absolutely safe, and you end up having a fat powerband and torque off the line. This is only for the experienced of course, because whenever you have custom tuning involved, you must have someone knowledgeable to set up everything correctly. This could be yourself, or a reputable shop. The next step up approaching 300-350 WHP is when things get expensive.

The cost/HP ratio is about the same between both motors if you are going for big power... There is absolulely minimal price difference if you are building both motors to full extent. Both motors would need identical upgrades from engine to electronics to turbo to driveline. The only problem with the 1MZ-FE is that you'll need custom parts, and without connections to the right people, it can be quite a problem.

A 3S-GTE swap is only cheaper when you are set on a certain power quota. For 300-350 HP, you can't beat a stock bottom 3S-GTE with a slight turbo/fuel upgrade. The simplicity and reliability is the biggest advantage because you are using parts that are tested, tried and true, and most of the tuning is already done for you if you are keeping stock ECU and running stock sensors (ie: stock ECU with basic fuel controller). That's only if you keep it within the power limits.

Lastly the fear factor of having a turbo V6 is nothing but FUN... You wouldn't believe how many guys were shocked whenever I pop up my hood to expose the 3.0L V6 with a huge single. It puts me into the "Supra" territory :D

· Registered
Toyota Camry
1,821 Posts
Tony- What size turbo would you recommend for a 1MZFE with stock internals. I would be aiming for 250whp on somewhat low boost. I was thinking about using a Garret turbo from a Buick Grand National. How much do you think everything would cost after everything is said and done? My friend has a spare stock WRX turbo that might work. Would that be too small for the V6 to achieve the 100 extra WHP? I wouldn't be aiming for a ton of horsepower here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.