Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First time poster. Have owned only Toyota's since 1994. Camry, Avalon, Camry, Highlander....till now.

Two weeks ago, saw underneath my 2003 84K mile Toyota Highlander, coolant on my garage floor. Looked at Radiator which was almost empty.

Took it into Local Toyota Dealer who informed me as others have posted here with their 4 Cyl Highlanders.....Engine shot, must replace Short Block. Cause: 3 Metal Screws bolted onto Aluminum Head Cover enclosure became loose over time, aluminum cover finally started leaking coolant. When dealer took screws out, threads came with it. No fix other than new engine.

$6,000+ later I have a 2003 Highlander with a new engine.

Lesson #1: ANYONE looking to buy a used 2001-2004? 4 Cyl Highlander? Run....don't walk away.

Lesson #2: Don't ever trust Toyota to provide a vehicle that can run for a few hundred thousand miles with appropriate scheduled maintenance (currently have a 182K Toyota Avalon).

No apologies from Toyota service, dealer, etc. Nothing....

Goodbye Toyota. Will not spend another dime on another Toyota purchase.

·
2004 I4 Highlander
2001 Honda Accord
163 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Can you do us a favor, and give us the build date of your car? Should be on a placard under the hood and/or inside the drivers side door. One block was used until 7/31/03 and another from 8/1/03 on, so it would be interesting to hear which you had. I would assume, being an 03, it was the earlier block since I would assume they were building all 04's by that point.

6000 is steep. The entire long block is only about 2400 bucks. It might have been a few thousand less at an independent mechanic.

Best of luck with whatever you buy next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Can you do us a favor, and give us the build date of your car? Should be on a placard under the hood and/or inside the drivers side door. One block was used until 7/31/03 and another from 8/1/03 on, so it would be interesting to hear which you had. I would assume, being an 03, it was the earlier block since I would assume they were building all 04's by that point.

6000 is steep. The entire long block is only about 2400 bucks. It might have been a few thousand less at an independent mechanic.

Best of luck with whatever you buy next.

Thank you... The vehicle was manufactured 12/03/Japan. Yes, quite shocked and dismayed at Toyota's performance but also the blatant non-concern of charging this kind of money for a replacement that is obviously a manufacturer defect by Toyota. They charged $2,700+ for the short block. Even charged me for the radiator/antifreeze fluid replaced!! Just shocked!

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Very sorry about your situation, but your wallet speaks loudest. What part of Kansas are you in my Brother lives in Overland Park. I would like to warn him about this Toyota "stealership!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very sorry about your situation, but your wallet speaks loudest. What part of Kansas are you in my Brother lives in Overland Park. I would like to warn him about this Toyota "stealership!"
I live in Olathe and I paid for Kenny Thomas' last boat payment or his recent clown suit commercial on his last commercial.....so disappointed with Toyota. They haven't even responded to my e-mail I sent them 3 weeks ago asking for clarification on the discrepancies in pricing I have seen on-line to replace/fix this problem. I will find every way possible to let everyone I know about my experience and hit them in the wallet as you said.....that is all they care about. Loyalty is obviously out the window...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts