Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a can of freon to the AC, since it was not cooling properly, used gauge and it is not over charged.

The AC is cooling great now, but the compressor will cycle on and off about every 5 seconds. The clutch will engage and a few seconds later disengage. Then it will settle down and seem to function properly for a while.

Suggestions? I did a search but didn't see anything.

Thanks,

Leon

1995 T100, 6 cyl auto, 185k miles.

·
Toyota Master Technician
95 T100 4X4
804 Posts
Rule one !

One does not simply TOP OFF freon

Do not mix old with new

Think it of a oil change you just done top it off you change it )

Take old out And replace with new

·
Registered
KS
1,625 Posts
Added a can of freon to the AC, since it was not cooling properly, used gauge and it is not over charged.

The AC is cooling great now, but the compressor will cycle on and off about every 5 seconds. The clutch will engage and a few seconds later disengage. Then it will settle down and seem to function properly for a while.

Suggestions? I did a search but didn't see anything.

Thanks,

Leon

1995 T100, 6 cyl auto, 185k miles.
Leon best advice is from goth above! The AC systems are SO very sensitive to the proper charge and freon and oil. I would highly highly go get that system completely evacuated and recharged. A good shop will evacuate it hold a vacuum to verify there are no leaks, but my guess is there is because it didn't work. Then they will fix the leaks, the recharge with the proper freon, oil, and amount of each.

That little gauge that comes with the can of freon is worthless. To do it correctly you need the pros to do it. They will check both high and low side as well as correct it for the correct ambient conditions.

Since your compressor is cycling so fast means that the system isn't charged correctly. I would stop using the ac right away and get it fixed correctly before you cause a lot more damage by either over charging it which it could be or under charge it, which it could be as well. Also you might not have the proper oil amount or type in with the freon now. This can cause the compressor to fail.

I know those can say they will work, but they don't. This is a job best left to the pro's. I hope you get it fixed before a larger problem happens, costing you big bucks.

Good luck! let us know what you find

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.