Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a 2011 Crewmax owner here in Texas. Truck currently has 115k miles on it. I'm another owner with a diagnosed failing torque converter. The truck shudders @ 20-25mph and also between 35-40mph while being light on the throttle. Called the 1 888 number to see if Toyota would offer any acknowledgement and or assistance with repair costs. They denied any acknowledgment and offered no assistance. The dealership gave me a quote of $2579.45 for new converter, main seal and fluid change. Needless to say, I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update to my dilemma... visited two well established transmission shops that say " It's not just a torque converter swap. You'll be needing to rebuild / replace ant parts that are compromised. $1800-$2500 is the ballpark price range to fix correctly." So the Toyota dealership is merely a bandaid to fixing the actual problem. Gone are the days of high milage/ low cost Japanese type mentality, atleast in my wallet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMHO. $2,579. is to much. this is why we have independent shops. i have found that if a trans is less that 20-30 k miles if you put a good shift kit in it will last a very long time. the company i have used is Trans-go. and add a trany filter and cooler. i found a shift kit for my 08 Avalon. well be talking to my trans man this week.

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,387 Posts
How often was the ATF changed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im having this same issue, been going on for a while and I thought it was something wrong with the trans, but after a while of research and noticing mine is just in the 20-35mph in auto but nothing in paddle shift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having this same issue but I'm wondering if its the TC or something in the drive train or even a joint going bad. I need to change the ATF cause I'm retarded and stick to the manual that says only check it and nothing about changing... I should probably change it first and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts