Toyota Nation Forum banner

Another new car (Toyota Highlander) owner seeking the: "Best Oil"

1477 Views 26 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Old Mechanic
We just purchased a '22 Toyota Highlander FWD w/V6. I've been searching & reading up on oil recommendations. My previous experience is mostly conventional oil & flat tappet camshafts. I was surprised to see thin 0W-20 oil recommended. I've been running Valvoline VR1 20W-50 & Delo 400 with Fleetguard/Wix/Napa Gold filters in my previous vehicles. Just noticed that Wix filters are manufactured in China now.

Should I stay with Valvoline brand? I see many Highlander owners discussing the use of 5W-30. We keep our vehicles for a long time. I'm interested in the best engine wear protection available. I'm located at 5K elevation with temperatures ranging from down into the teens & up into the 100+ range. Dry & dusty environment.

Seeking advice/recommendations on brand/type of oil, viscosity, high quality filters & service intervals.

Thank you.
Reactions: paulrogg_6179
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Toyota is starting to move toward 0W-16, using that in some four-cylinder engines.

There are a lot of posts on this subject already, so searching will bring up more discussion than you're probably looking for. Lots of people = lots of opinions when it comes to oil.

Interval is pretty easy - change it as often as you're comfortable changing it. The book says 10K miles for "normal" service, but just about everyone here who services their own cars would never consider letting it go that long.

· Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
2,341 Posts
Protection is more than just how thick an oil is. It's down to the additive package an oil company wants to use.

If you want the best readily available oil, Redline High performance 0w-20 or Amsoil Signature Series 0w20 would be the best available, since it has esters in the base oil blend, that has a polar effect and is attracted to the metal better.

· Registered
227 Posts
Where the thing is so new I’d probably stick with a 0W20 for now, especially if you live in a cold climate and do normal driving (no towing, normal temps, highway, stuff like that).

I find that for off the shelf brand oil, Mobil1 seems to have the buying power advantage and experience to supply you with the best combination of base stocks and additives. If you’re willing to spend a lot more, there’s Amsoil and HPL. But if you’re only doing 5,000 mile intervals?? I’d just buy whatever is on sale at Walmart and call it a day.

· Registered
'19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,350 Posts
Oil is like religion, people believe what they believe for whatever reason they believe it. Take that for whatever it's worth. ;)

· Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum - Wind Chill Pearl
900 Posts
We just purchased a '22 Toyota Highlander FWD w/V6. I've been searching & reading up on oil recommendations. My previous experience is mostly conventional oil & flat tappet camshafts. I was surprised to see thin 0W-20 oil recommended. I've been running Valvoline VR1 20W-50 & Delo 400 with Fleetguard/Wix/Napa Gold filters in my previous vehicles. Just noticed that Wix filters are manufactured in China now.

Should I stay with Valvoline brand? I see many Highlander owners discussing the use of 5W-30. We keep our vehicles for a long time. I'm interested in the best engine wear protection available. I'm located at 5K elevation with temperatures ranging from down into the teens & up into the 100+ range. Dry & dusty environment.

Seeking advice/recommendations on brand/type of oil, viscosity, high quality filters & service intervals.

Thank you.
Use whatever Toyota recommend for the oil grade, don't use something else or you could end up doing more harm to your engine. Remember Toyota are the engine GOD's here, they put their blood sweat and tears into designing, testing, and finalizing the liquid requirements for this engine, no one here has and if you believe everyday people over Toyota then I have some snake oil for sale that will cure cancer! :)

· Registered
3,434 Posts
Never use 20W50 in any modern automobile engine. Viscosity will kill your engine. I bought a 1984 (39 years ago) Honda CRX in Houston Texas and was running 20w50 in it and moved to Washington DC area, temps got real low and one of the techs there showed me how slow 20w50 poured when it got down below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. You do not want that situation in any modern engine and it may void any warranty claim you might have, which could be die to oil viscosity.
Manufacturers recommendations do NOT include that viscosity of oil for your engine.
I used Castrol GTX 20w50 in everything I drove until I bought that Honda new, but after the demonstration, watching the oil take literally half an hour to drain out of the bottle I switched to 10w30. The cold cranking speed of the engine increased dramatically with that one change and I averaged 44 MPG for the next 45k miles until I sold the car.
I would not even think of using that viscosity oil in any car today, even if I lived in Key West Florida, but then people have the RIGHT to make their own mistakes, which can be costly.

· Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2022 RAV4 XLE
127 Posts
Toyota is starting to move toward 0W-16, using that in some four-cylinder engines.

There are a lot of posts on this subject already, so searching will bring up more discussion than you're probably looking for. Lots of people = lots of opinions when it comes to oil.

Interval is pretty easy - change it as often as you're comfortable changing it. The book says 10K miles for "normal" service, but just about everyone here who services their own cars would never consider letting it go that long.
Only the A25A so far is 0W-16 specified.

· Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2022 RAV4 XLE
127 Posts

Thank you.
0W-20, period. If you're going to keep it a long time, 5k oil change intervals.

· Registered
122 Posts

Thank you.
"Best" is a snipe hunt; you'll never find it. Frequency is far more important. The Toyota Master Tech (The Car Care Nut) says 5k or 6 months. Period. Use only the specified 0W-20. Costco's Kirland and Walmart's Super Tech are the same oil and budget friendly and Project Farm testing shows good results. Toyota filters may be good enough. Fram's Ultra Synthetic filter has the same efficiency as the $22 Amsoil at less than half the price. Relax. Your Highlander will be fine.

· Registered
8 Posts

Thank you.
Use whatever brand, with the SAE rating in the TOYOAT recommended viscosity.

· Registered
35 Posts

Thank you.
I would stick with the manufacturer’s recommendations. I change my oil every 5000 miles or sooner on my 2021 highlander. . Changing oil is the cheapest thing you can do for the most benefit

· Registered
50 Posts

Thank you.
Best to use the oil viscosity recommended. Changing oil every 6 or so months and 5000 miles is good insurance. Waiting until 10000 miles is a big mistake unless you're only keeping the car for 3 years.
Most major brands of oil are similar and I wouldn't buy the lowest grade oil filter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts