Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I know I'm going to get flamed here, but I've searched past threads and haven't been able to find one detail of doing oil changes yourself...

I have always in the past, in trucks, bikes and airplanes either filled the oil filter with oil before or grounded the ignition and cranked the engine until the pressure came up in order to ensure good pressure as soon as possible when the engine fires....

How in the hell do you do it when the friggen filter is upside down and you have multiple ignition coils ?? Where can I kill the ignition at one point ??

Do I stuff a banana in the tailpipe first ?? Jump the starter selenoid ??

Or do you guys just not worry about it ??
 

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
Joined
·
217 Posts
That is one bad thing about an upside down filter. I fill it and put my finger over the opening and try to screw it on as quick as I can to at least have some oil in it and get the medium saturated before cranking the engine.

I think there is enough oil on the important internal parts to cover your bases while the new filter completely fills and starts passing oil. The oil pump is a pretty powerful device and it doesn't waste time working its magic. I don't think it is a biggie to worry about.
 

·
PSU TACO
05 Access Cab TACO
Joined
·
116 Posts
pa_28r_200 said:
Or do you guys just not worry about it ??
:thumbup: My Theory
 

·
Toyota Parts Manager
Joined
·
138 Posts
No offense

but the oil pressure in these engines jumps up almost instantaneously. To worry about a few ounces of oil not being in the top of the motor is a little anal. If you think about it, why wouldn't you worry about that every time you start the truck in the morning after it's been sitting up all night? There's no oil in the top of the motor then either.

Just my two cents. :D
 

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
Joined
·
793 Posts
don't worry about it.

-Mike
 

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma D/C
Joined
·
309 Posts
iv e never filled the oil filter , never any oil related troubles. like he said thats alil anal. not gonna matter unless you put a vacuum on it every time you turn the engine over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fireman9170 said:
iv e never filled the oil filter , never any oil related troubles. like he said thats alil anal. not gonna matter unless you put a vacuum on it every time you turn the engine over.
Hey...I'm just sayin....:p:

It's standard practice for some engines........;)

In my F150, It definitly takes a moment for the oil pressure gauge to come alive when I DON'T do it..... & it comes up almost immediatly when I do, and when the engine is cold :naughty:
 

·
Registered
05 PreRunner DC LB
Joined
·
25 Posts
Maybe you could take the valve covers off pour a bit of oil on them and then re-install them then get the engine running real quick before the oil runs to the bottom of the pan. Oh, and keep your engine running 24/7 to make extra sure that all engine parts are properly bathed in oil. These steps will also ensure that the top of the engine doesn't get jealous cause the pan always gets more oil. Just my $0.02.
 

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Hey man shake it off.......I was always taught that it was a good idea to put some oil in the filter before screwing it on. It's to bad we can't do it with the way the taco was designed. Oh well. I do agree that it really doesn't matter with the technology behind automobile engines today.
 

·
LVtaco05
Joined
·
157 Posts
pa_28r_200 said:
Hey...I'm just sayin....:p:

It's standard practice for some engines........;)

In my F150, It definitly takes a moment for the oil pressure gauge to come alive when I DON'T do it..... & it comes up almost immediatly when I do, and when the engine is cold :naughty:
Thats becuase its a FORD (found on road dead) on Toyotas you dont have to worry.
 

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
Joined
·
793 Posts
Fords sound like diesels after oil changes. it's amusing. :) i think they're the loudest of anything i've changed the oil on, don't know why.

-Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
MrSharkey said:
Maybe you could take the valve covers off pour a bit of oil on them and then re-install them then get the engine running real quick before the oil runs to the bottom of the pan. Oh, and keep your engine running 24/7 to make extra sure that all engine parts are properly bathed in oil. These steps will also ensure that the top of the engine doesn't get jealous cause the pan always gets more oil. Just my $0.02.
Geez....ask a reasonable question and some fucktard ALWAYS has to give a smart ass answer......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
coolcatmars said:
Thats becuase its a FORD (found on road dead) on Toyotas you dont have to worry.
I can't complain about the Ford, it's got a 140K on it and it still runs great...I've gotten my moneys worth out if it......
 

·
Registered
05 PreRunner DC LB
Joined
·
25 Posts
In the event you don't remember, you stated, "I know I'm going to get flamed here..." Notice that the only one doing flaming is you. Ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer.

Within 30 seconds of shutting an engine off virtually all oil is in the bottom of the pan. That is due to a mysterious force called gravity. Fortunately oil is a little sticky and coats internal engine parts with a fine layer. This is why when we start a cold engine we don't break things.

From the very first revolution at cranking, oil is picked up from its lowest point (the pan) and nearly instantaneously distributed throughout the block. Should we worry about the .0375% of oil isn't in the filter at oil change time? I think not.

If the engineers at Toyota were the least bit worried about the orientation of the filter and whether it contains 6 oz. of oil, they would have put it on the bottom of the engine and told you to fill it with oil prior to starting your engine.
 

·
2005 Black DC Longbed
Joined
·
53 Posts
pa_28r_200 said:
Okay guys, I know I'm going to get flamed here, but I've searched past threads and haven't been able to find one detail of doing oil changes yourself...

I have always in the past, in trucks, bikes and airplanes either filled the oil filter with oil before or grounded the ignition and cranked the engine until the pressure came up in order to ensure good pressure as soon as possible when the engine fires....

How in the hell do you do it when the friggen filter is upside down and you have multiple ignition coils ?? Where can I kill the ignition at one point ??

Do I stuff a banana in the tailpipe first ?? Jump the starter selenoid ??

Or do you guys just not worry about it ??
I did a do-it-yourself oil change at 1000 miles. Using a Toyota Oil Filter (YZZD3), I filled it about 1/2 way with oil. The filter material absorbed the oil like a sponge. Holding my finger over the opening and flipping the filter over onto it's fitting and maybe spilled a few drops at most. It was not a significant event -- very little clean up required.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I was an auto mechanic for 17 yrs. I had worked for a high volume shop. Not once did myself or any of the techs I worked with fill the filter with oil before starting a vehicle. We never had any problems related to that practice. So dont give it to much thought.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top