Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been quite a few threads regarding the annoying Nanny Toyota NAV lock. I have heard of a few solutions:

• There is a process to burn a Hybrid disk that enables unlock thru a set of keystrokes at startup
  • A harness that plugs between the NAV and the factory harness that enable unlock
  • A black box that provides a false pulse count to fool the truck that is stationary
There may be others so post them here and I will update the above.

I did not like the Hybrid disk solution because it requires a complex set of keystrokes at startup. Although this solution is the cheapest.

The false pulse count method seems to work well, but it is not a commercial product yet and requires splicing into the harness.

That leaves the commercial harness insert. There were two I found. One is not yet available for the Highlander, so that left only one vendor at this point in time.

I was pointed to a vendor over at TundraSolutions that had a harness available. I contacted them and they provided me the last unit they had in stock at the moment and installed it this weekend. I have no connection with this vendor but wanted to post my findings here.

Their system is a harness that plugs between the factory harness and the NAV. There is no splicing or modifications to the factory harness. There are three connectors that must be disconnected from the back of the NAV and the harness plugged inbetween. They provide a switch that controls the unti and it basically allows you to fool the NAV into thinking that you are standing still and so the NAV unlocks. During the override, the truck's postion on the GPS map does not update. However, since you are either using the NAV to dial the phone, or set a new destination, I think this is a acceptable trade off. When the override is off, the NAV acts like factory.

You push one of two buttons that control the unti to start the override. The NAV unlocks as it thinks the truck is sitting still. If you forget to push the button to turn off the override, the unit will automatically disenguage after about 5 minutes. You can program the unit to be in this automatic turn off mode after five minutes or be in manual mode and not switch back after fix minutes.

Installation is straight forward. On the 09 HH, you just pull off the top AC vent and the AC control to gain access to the four bolts that hold the NAV and info display in. Pull out the nav and disconnect three of the harnesses that connect into the back of the NAV and pulg the new harness inbetween. They provide a switch which can be mounted where you desire. I mounted the switch in one of the 'blanks' in the lower driver's dash panel. That required me to remove some other panels and took a bit more time. It took me about two hours to install it with the switch going in one of the blanks on the lower dash. If you mounted the switch somewhere else, I think you could install this in about a half hour.

This until also had a feature to unlock the rear TV too. I don't have the rear DVD player, so I cannot comment on that function. But it is an added bonus for those that do. There are two bottons and the second button unlocks the DVD player.

The unit is professionally put together and it is very nice that the whole thing can be relatively easily removed with no splicing required. The only downside is the cost of the harness.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/index.php?category=other

·
Registered
134 Posts
$349 - think I will wait and get a lockpick for way less money and 100 times more functionality - this would be a good option at $50 bucks though!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does this work as advertised?

What benefit does it provide for the DVD.
It works for me as advertised. I don't know exactly what it does for the DVD since mine is not so equipped. Perhaps someone that has the rear DVD will chime in and say how the DVD player is "Nannyized". I always did wonder if the truck was equipped with the rear DVD player if it would play on the front screen too. At least so the passenger could watch it!

I believe it is against the law in most states to have a DVD player in the front to distract the driver. Can't say I disagree with the law and think that driving while holding a cell phone to your ear should be banned everywhere. Don't get me wrong - I don't like the Nanny state we currently have. But I think for some reason people drive worse than drunk drivers when it is held to their ear. For some reason it does not appear to me to be a problem if you use handsfree. I have no idea why.

$349 - think I will wait and get a lockpick for way less money and 100 times more functionality - this would be a good option at $50 bucks though!
Can't argue with that. $2k NAV system that sucks and have to pay to get it to work as good as a $200 system. Toyota needs to be thrashed on this crappy NAV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what i know, i believe the $349 is for the Lexus. Toyota ones are cheaper but some may still think it is expensive. I guess it all depends on how bad you want certain things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand them wanting to keep people out of harms way. However it is a pain to jump on the road then after driving for a while have to pull over on the interstate, just to put the address into the GPS. I was hoping when I go back in for the first service they could disable that B.S.

·
4,180 Posts
I understand them wanting to keep people out of harms way. However it is a pain to jump on the road then after driving for a while have to pull over on the interstate, just to put the address into the GPS. I was hoping when I go back in for the first service they could disable that B.S.
That would never happen. No dealership is willing to put themselves, their Toyota franchise or Toyota Motor Sales in jeopardy. There are too many litigious people out there. I'm personally waiting for Lockpic (sp?), a Florida based company, to come out with an override that should run about $100. I still wouldn't utilize it myself while driving, but if I have a passenger they could.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts