1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY: 90
Engine: 2VZ-FE A/T

1 problem solved, and many more to go.

O/D light in the dash doesn't switch on or off.
I can feel the car shift in and out of overdrive, but the O/D light does not come when it's not in O/D.

Is that a minor problem that can be ignored? or is that a sign of worse things to come. I remember when my speedometer, odometer, and trip meter stopped working for a bit, the O/D light flashed. The mech i brought it to, told me the O/D light was flashing b/c of the problem with the Speedo gear in the transmission [which he fixed under warranty]

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
lol, mechanic couldnt get the light to stop flashing, so he disconnected it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tommy said:
lol, mechanic couldnt get the light to stop flashing, so he disconnected it.
no, it was fixed, when the speedo was fixed and worked for most of last year. it stopped working around November.

i'm hoping it's not the transmission again...

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
if the O/D flashes it's either a lose wire or something wrong with the tranny it's like the check engine light

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
ever think to check, oh i dunno....maybe the bulb burned out?

dont jump to the worst thing it could be, try the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o_O :headbang:

yeah, that would make sense! LMAO! is there anything i need to be aware of when pulling out the cluster panel? I know there are 2 or 3 screws that attach to the top of the dash. is it just pull from there? do i need to watch out for short wiring etc?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
oh i thought it was flashing ... there's 5 screws... 3 on top and 2 on each side under the defog and hazard switch.. and it's just clips holding it on ... and then the rest is just wire connectors for the 2 above and the ones displaying the tranny info

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
and if it isnt the bulb or the wiring - as long as it goes into O/D dont worry about it. i drove my camry for 3 years and only time over drive was off was if i was driving through the mountains, just to keep it from hunting gears.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep it was a burned out bulb.

while i had the panel off, i wanted to pull instrument cluster out to change out a couple of dead bulbs in the cluster, but i'm havin a hard time gettin it out of the dash.

for those of you that were able to pull the inst cluster out, did you have to remove the steering wheel column panels?

·
NYR
509 Posts
monito said:
did you have to remove the steering wheel column panels?
Nope.
It will pop out with a little manuevering

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
monito said:
that's all i needed to know... thnx!! ^_^
>.< geez... somehow i bypassed all common sense >.< the steering wheel was up one notch. after lowering it all the way the cluster pretty much just popped out.

and... what's w/ the condoms on the cluster bulbs?!? LOL

ok, seriuosly now. does anyone know what bulb goes into the Drive indicator guages? i thought i read somewhere on this board that it was 74, but 74 looks a little bit big.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
superfob said:
Wow $10 a bulb, thats a little to rich for me at the moment. Glad to hear yours was just the bulb and its back to normal.
LOL!! i wish! they didn't have any in stock so it's on SO.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,061 Posts
Yea, Those bulbs are freakin' expensive. I thought they would be a few bucks but when I went to see how much those bulbs would cost for a Gen1 cluster, $11 something for EACH bulb.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Temporarily fixed

I want to thank everyone for helpin me out! Sometimes the Haynes and Chiltons repair manuals can be a bit confusing. You all are awesome! ^_^

I'm just glad that i remembered that i signed on here when i had the speedometer problem ^_^

anyways, waiting for CEL to come back on. I have a feeling it might not, but i do remember the codes that came on previously: 25, 26, 71

1 - 20 of 20 Posts