1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
gen4 i4 to v6 disc brake conversion

Update: 07/28/2013
i found a 1999 solara in the yard and grabbed everything including rear rotors, backing plates with parking brake cables and emergency brake hardware, calipers, pads, proportioning valve and most importantly all the fasteners-bolts nuts etc. not shown are the rotors which were being turned at the time of the pic. all of that for $125 and i had the pleasure of pulling the parts myself.

i did not use the old pads- i took them home so i could inspect them to then determine if it was worth using the calipers. the pads had even wear on both sides so i knew the calipers had a good chance of working for me. (nothing seized) (along with a couple of other tests noted below.)

the pic above shows what it looked like from the yard. crusty but complete. be sure to check for free play/smoothness in both e-brake cables.

pic of rear backing plates with emergency brake cables and emergency brake hardware as pulled from the junked solara.

calipers and caliper brackets, hoses and caliper hardware as pulled.

one of the caliper mouting brackets- more crust- so i wire brushed everything and painted all the parts with bbq grill hi temp rattle can paint. i was trying to go as "low buck" as possible and the grill paint is what i had on hand.

rear drum before i started.

the drums had fused (rusted) to the hub so they needed some motivation to be removed...

new backing plate resting in place. (just follow a factory service manual on removing the old drum brake hardware.) at this point i went underneath to hook up the "new" emergency brake cables. i dropped the exhaust-two rubber insulators by the muffler and rested exhaust on a jack stand. that gave me enough room to remove the three nuts from the heat shield so i could get to the emergency brake cabling. strange enough the emergency brake cables from the two door solara fit my 4 door camry perfectly!

brake flex hose connected from caliper to car. a way to test your calipers and brake hose at the junkyard- after removing the flex line from donor car- squeeze the piston back. if the piston moves back easily and a good flow of fluid comes out of the hose you'll know two things. 1. the caliper piston isn't seized 2. the brake hose hasn't swelled internally. after this "test" at the junkyard i knew i would be able to reuse the calipers and brake hoses.

new hub installed. drum hub assemblies and disc brake hub assemblies are the same so i could have reused mine if they would have been good. i'm not counting this as part of my "low buck" swap since i would have to purchase these hubs even if i hadn't done the swap.

junkyard rotors turned out to be serviceable. thick enough and no warping. freshly machined here.

caliper bracket and fresh pads installed. i went with Wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads (OE spec) since this car is my daily driver.

caliper installed brakes bled. DONE!

hope these pics and info help out other members on this site. i know this swap has been done by others but i wanted to show everyone what i did for "my" swap. :rockon:

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update

i hadn't been bill for the rear disc hardware that i had ordered so i gave the salvage yard a call. they are missing the passenger side backing plate!!

i hope they find it so i can get started on this conversion.

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still waiting!

i'm still waiting on the salvage yard to come up with the parts.

does anyone have a set of rear disc backing plates they'd like to part with??? :help:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not to highjack, I've seen the disc conversion threads but they make it a little confusing.

I found a 3rd gen V6 SLE in a junkyard. Disc brakes, pedal operated E-brake. They told me $80 for all if I remove it myself.

Will it work on my 4th gen 4cyl hand operated ebrake car?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Not to highjack, I've seen the disc conversion threads but they make it a little confusing.

I found a 3rd gen V6 SLE in a junkyard. Disc brakes, pedal operated E-brake. They told me $80 for all if I remove it myself.

Will it work on my 4th gen 4cyl hand operated ebrake car?
Rear disc brakes and foot lever are kinda separate, so yes, it will work, BUT you will need the e-brake cables (just the cables) from a hand-operated e-brake car - such as V6 Camry or ES300. Backing plates, calipers, e-brake shoes and mechanism, and rotors are same. You can actually get these cables from RockAuto and whatnot. As a matter of fact, the only thing you REALLY need is the backing plate - everything else is readily available. (backing plate is like $500 and only available from the dealer).

Not to get too much into detail, it's best if you get the whole setup (plate, caliper, at minimum, and pads & rotors) from one vehicle, as there were variations even within the same model cycle.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah I was aware that I could get all but backing plates new, but add it all together and it gets expensive. If I get it all used, hopefully most of it will be good, rotors turnable, caliper slides free, cylinder not leaking... ect.

I guess it is a crapshoot though, I might get it and have worn out, warped rotors, sticking pins, and leaking cylinders, lol. I could check most of that in the yard though. The way he talked, he was only gonna charge me $20 for each rotor and $20 for each caliper and the rest free since nobody ever buys backing plates ect from him and it ends up crushed.

It's a real small yard that just opened up next to a scrap metal place, so they only pay scrap price for the car's anyway. Father owns the scrap part, son owns the yard. Nobody even seems to take parts from the Camrys at this yard. All Pickups on the other hand, get stripped clean. Shame though they don't have even one 4th gen.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
At $20 per rotor, it's not worth it. Caliper for $20, yes, rotor, no. New rotors start at $25. The yard where I pulled all my crap charged $11 per rotor, so I took my chances: rear rotors work beautifully, whereas front ones were warped beyond belief. You won't know if it's warped until you either put it in the car, or measure it with that tool, whatever it's called. So yes, crapshoot indeed.

I rebuilt all my calipers with OEM rebuild kits regardless. Kit's are under $30 per axle, so well worth the investment for the next 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah I was thinking just rebuild it all. And true on the rotors, but they'd probably charge me $20 for each backing plate/e-brake assembly if I did not buy the rotors, lol. Seem's to be the way they work, I bought a bench seat for a Toy pickup in tip top shape for $50... I got a set of wiper arms free. But before I decided on the seat, the wiper arms were going to be $20.

Likewise, I asked about pulling a bag full of fuses and relays from various stuff. $20. I came back with a Chevrolet glovebox, cupholder and autodimming mirror with compass and the matching temp sensor, AND a pile of fuses and relays for... $20.

Speaking of that, I need to start a new thread on junkyard ideas.

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
local yard

i checked a local yard and after looking at 9 different camrys ranging from 1995 to 1999. all 9 camrys had rear drums! my search continues.

i thank everyone for the discussion on this thread as i don't consider it hijacking. i'm enjoying the discussion. :thumbsup:

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the rear braking system on the Japanese and EU verson of the gen 4 2.2 is the same as on the V6 in the US?

from what i've read on here (tn) they are the same. just don't quote me on it though!

·
Not so New TN User
1998 5sfe Camry
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
an update: heading to kcmo to visit some salvage yards. hopefully i'll score the needed rear disc parts. i'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Neat. Nice job and writeup.

Were at in Missouri are you? You said KCMO so I assume near Kansas City?

I drive to West Plains every other week. MO uses salt and AR does not, rather amazing really, one time I went and it started snowing while I was there, salt and plow trucks EVERYWHERE. I crossed the state line coming back and did not see another plow or salt truck :lol: Made me angry on one hand because road conditions in AR were horrible. On the other hand, I just bought a pickup that spent it's life in MO and I am already cussing the rust.

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,638 Posts
Nice DIY. I like the gold wheel studs. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rear disc brakes and foot lever are kinda separate, so yes, it will work, BUT you will need the e-brake cables (just the cables) from a hand-operated e-brake car - such as V6 Camry or ES300. Backing plates, calipers, e-brake shoes and mechanism, and rotors are same. You can actually get these cables from RockAuto and whatnot. As a matter of fact, the only thing you REALLY need is the backing plate - everything else is readily available. (backing plate is like $500 and only available from the dealer).

Not to get too much into detail, it's best if you get the whole setup (plate, caliper, at minimum, and pads & rotors) from one vehicle, as there were variations even within the same model cycle.
Have a chance to pick up an inexpensive '94 V6 parts-car. Trying to confirm that a '94 Gen3 V6 can be used as a donor for a '00 Gen4 I4, for front-upgrade and rear-conversion.

So... looking for confirmation that a Gen3 V6 can be a donor for a Gen4 I4. If so, great. If not, I'll keep looking for a Gen4 V6.

Thanks!

·
Various Toyotas
5,086 Posts
If you upgrade the front, you need to have 15" wheels, otherwise you can only upgrade the rear drums to Camry V6 discs if you have 14" wheels. You need to change the proportioning valve also if you convert rear drums to discs. If you have ABS, make sure the proportioning valve is from a V6 Camry with ABS. If you don't have ABS, make sure the proportioning valve is from a V6 Camry without ABS. I don't know if Gen 3 will work on Gen 4 (perhaps someone can answer that question). The conversion I did was Gen 3 to Gen 3.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you upgrade the front, you need to have 15" wheels, otherwise you can only upgrade the rear drums to Camry V6 discs if you have 14" wheels. You need to change the proportioning valve also if you convert rear drums to discs. If you have ABS, make sure the proportioning valve is from a V6 Camry with ABS. If you don't have ABS, make sure the proportioning valve is from a V6 Camry without ABS. I don't know if Gen 3 will work on Gen 4 (perhaps someone can answer that question). The conversion I did was Gen 3 to Gen 3.
The conversion would be an all around... looks like that means dual-piston fronts and normal-rears. Don't have ABS, not sure if the donor has ABS, yet hearing that that doesn't matter. The car comes with 15" rims, so that takes care of that. I'm hearing the Gen3 works with Gen4, minus the Gen4 e-brake cable.

·
Various Toyotas
5,086 Posts
Don't have ABS, not sure if the donor has ABS, yet hearing that that doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter for the brake hardware at the wheels, but it does matter for the proportioning valve. It's on the firewall. ABS proportioning valve is different from non-ABS proportioning valve.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts