Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Live in North Florida. It does get at or below freezing, sometimes. Do i need "all season" tires or could I kjust run "summer" tires all year? I'm not one for changing the tires with the seasons, but also want the best type of tire for my situation. What would be the best tire for Hot summers and Hurricanes with a little bit of Cold temperatures in winter?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Michelin pilot sport as4+ are great all seasons, they also have crossclimates if you can get used to how they look

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would say stick with some decent all weather tires if your area goes below 45F.
Tire rack would be your friend with looking at reviews, ratings and such to help make a decision.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What tires are you currently sporting? I would never drive in a hurricane but I can drive in a whiteout blizzard!
I just had to replace all 4 on my Corolla... Goodyear's, They were shot after just 22k miles (n)
Hopefully the new set, continentals, go the distance to 80k ish,

·
Driving till wheels fall off
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
178 Posts
That’s about all I’ve ever got out any goodyear tire. Had a couple different sets.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It comes down to how and where you normally drive both now and where you may drive in the future. If you don't want to change tires because of the seasons, then go with a set of all-season tires that have are geared/weighted for where you typically drive. For northern Florida, a tire with good rain/wet performance over snow/ice performance for example.

Some discussion on all-season and summer tires:
All-Season Tires versus Summer Tires | TireBuyer.com
What are summer tires? | TireBuyer.com

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sorry to hear you only got 22k out of your set of Goodyear.
N2 Toyota. Have you ever tried Goodyear assurance weather ready tires. A lot of people recommend them and they have really good ratings and reviews. Thanks

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
12,076 Posts
I currently use Hankook Ventus S10 Noble AS tires for 2 sets. The first set was purchased when I lived in California. Current set was purchased in 2020 here in Arizona.

For me, it does it's job. It's not noisy. The tred pattern is good in the wet and dry. When I drive through corners aggressively, it does hold up decently. It's not a summer set, but has some characteristics. Pretty sure if I push hard enough, it would do the job, but not as well as a dedicated summer set.

It's worth the money for me.

·
Driving till wheels fall off
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
178 Posts
Sorry to hear you only got 22k out of your set of Goodyear.
N2 Toyota. Have you ever tried Goodyear assurance weather ready tires. A lot of people recommend them and they have really good ratings and reviews. Thanks
I used good year eagle GT on the 2003 S10 Xtreme and same on the 2000 XLE Camry. Soft quiet performance tires that do good with tread but they just wear out to fast.

I’m about due for another set on the Camry. I like the looks of the Altimax tires I put on the truck. Might go with those on the Camry.

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What tires are you currently sporting? I would never drive in a hurricane but I can drive in a whiteout blizzard!
I just had to replace all 4 on my Corolla... Goodyear's, They were shot after just 22k miles (n)
Hopefully the new set, continentals, go the distance to 80k ish,
Mixed set in the rear. Continental up front. I'm due for some tires, income tax will be soon. Want to get a full set of 4. Plan on keeping one good Continental as a full size spare.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla LE
161 Posts
I would go with all seasons unless you do very spirited driving. Also consider how often the temperature drops to freezing point. The summer tires also have a special rubber blend for the tread in the summer. Surprisingly summer tires have excellent rain traction so that's something to consider. Do note that summer tires wear out faster than all seasons so expect to spend money more often on tire changes.

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
470 Posts
I Live in North Florida. It does get at or below freezing, sometimes. Do i need "all season" tires or could I kjust run "summer" tires all year? I'm not one for changing the tires with the seasons, but also want the best type of tire for my situation. What would be the best tire for Hot summers and Hurricanes with a little bit of Cold temperatures in winter?
Since the polar vortex didn't knock out the power like it did in texas, and it doesn't really dip below 45 degrees F, summers are fine.

But summers tend to come with lower treadwear ratings, so you'll be replacing them more often than all-seasons. Plus summers in America, they are usually more associated with performance cars, so you'll typically see summer tires geared towards that market more than family cars, unlike in Europe, where summer tires are more common, even for family cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts