Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing my camera this morning. Decided not to go the route of a few other folks for various reasons. Not as clean an install, but, it'll work.

Bought a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT, already installed the speakers myself, but, I'm getting the head-unit installed professionally. To many factors with Bluetooth, steering wheel interface, iPod, navigation, rear view camera wires; don't want to louse those things up.

I basically just popped off the plastic rear bumper cover and took some self tapping screws to secure the camera to the bumper. Cut out a hole and used liquid electrical tape to seal it, replaced the little plastic screws with metal toggle bolts. It looks crooked, but, it's not, just looks that way. If someone wants it they'll have to work for it!

·
Registered
Toyota Tacoma
182 Posts
not bad man.... the only problem i would have with that is when i step there to do whatever in the bed, otherwise looks good!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I think I'd be afraid to step on it when I get in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew someone was going to mention that! I have a fold down ladder in the bed attached to the gate. I've had my truck for 3+ years and have not once stepped on that little step. Hopefully, I won't get into the habit anytime soon.

·
Registered
Toyota Tacoma
182 Posts
haha then you're all set, where is your display screen..... via a double DIN HU or a seperate unit? If a seperate unit where are you mounting it, and for temp usage only or permanent?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AVIC-F700BT is DD with screen. I think I'm going to modify some kind of small metal dome over the camera, just in case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what I did for my truck. The camera is attached to the bottom of the tailgate. It's almost hidden and I'm able to see the edge of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, the more I look at it, the uglier it gets! Believe:headbang: I'm going to rethink this one and try something new.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
not a tacoma but.. on the subject

here is mine. I cant see the hitch though. I may relocate it soon

night vision is pretty nice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts