Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see different forums about the location of the antenna. Is it, the left and right rear-side windows? I thought because the rear defrost grids on the rear hatch and rear side windows looked identical that, no, this can't be the antenna.

I attached my XM Radio connector antenna to the FRONT window grid! :headbang:ha!

What then, is the 'black 3/4" grid', mistaken for an antenna, all around the edges of the front window?

·
2,722 Posts
As far as I knew, there wasn't a grid on the front window. Was there actually a hookup on the glass for a wire?

Only thing I could think would be an aftermarket glass with some kind of de-icing system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Apologies for not getting back sooner. Thanks for your reply(s).

For the lack of a better word, I use the word "grid" that surrounds the front window.

Actually, this strip is made up of "small dots" about 3/4" wide that goes all around the front window. I can't find anything in my manual about what it is. I see no mention of a 'de-icer' or anything as to how to even activate it, if that's what it is.

I looked up underneath the dash and can't see any type of wires that would be connected to it because of the defroster vents that are in the way.

This is the original front glass when I bought the 2005 XB new.

Thanks to all for the actual location of the antenna. It is the left and right rear-side windows. After reloacating and re-attaching the portable XM radio antenna to the rear passenger side window the satellite signal now locks onto the FM station perfect, the sound is clear and I get no more "pppssssssssssssssssss" sounds from the speakers when I turn on the de-froster. ha! ha!

·
2,722 Posts
Ok, now I know what you are talking about...Most fixed and pivoting glass pieces will have that around it. I'm not sure of the purpose other then maybe it provides a place for the adhesive and/or nut and bolts to hide behind to make the glass more asthetically pleasing. It really would serve no other purpose then that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts