Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 01' echo with 48k..I was trying to find ideas for the telescoping antenna...has anyone put a stubby in the stock location...did your reception suffer...pix if any...or how about just collapse the stock one and put in a amplified hidden antenna...thoughts and ideas..Thanx

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just purchased a 01' echo with 48k..I was trying to find ideas for the telescoping antenna...has anyone put a stubby in the stock location...did your reception suffer...pix if any...or how about just collapse the stock one and put in a amplified hidden antenna...thoughts and ideas..Thanx

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Good question. I just finished alot of body work on my echo and now that it looks great the antennae is bugging me. I am gonna put a nice stubby or amplified stubby in place. Ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx..I appreciate the feedback...I have been looking online and thinking about leaving the factory one in place...jus trying to figure out which would be a better option..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I ordered me a lil stubby antenna from stubbyantenna.com so I will see if it affects my reception or not...might have to put a inline amplifier or booster...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I got the same 01 2 door as you...but with 80K miles on it! what kinda gas mileage do you get? After inflating the tires to 40PSI and whacking off my P/S belt I get around 45MPG. Got to hand it to Toyota... My next car if I ever wear out this one, will be another Echo if I can find one with 40-60K miles on it or a Yaris.

Anyway... I agree that stock antenna is UGLY! If I were to replace mine, I'd look at these image schematics on here.

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/products/TOYOTA/2004/Echo1500CC-16VALVE-DOHC-EFI--AUTOMATIC3-DOOR/POLE-SUB-ASSY--ANTENNA-POLE-SUB-ASSY--ROOF-ANTENNA/2386936/8630952040.html

Except, I'd probably run the wire to the front pillar molding and hide it in the roof liner ran all the way to the back to mount location on roof.

I'd also get rid of that hideous stock and fill the mounting holes with bondo and touch up paint. But that's just me I guess. :) My next upgrade if I do it at all will be aluminum rims on the next set of tires I buy. Looking for used Mazda rims now.

I don't use my antenna. I think I used the radio twice. That was when I updating my memory card with all my tunes on it sitting still plugged into my computer! I guess maybe if I were to be so bold to get rims I might think about getting rid of it and filling in the holes. :) Take a few pictures after you are done...

After drilling the holes use some rust protector and put down a thin line of silicon for the base so that you won't get any leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok..so my stubby antenna arrived today..I was gonna put it on before I had to go to work...I pulled the old antenna off...and Im not sure it is gonna work like I planned...doesnt seem to unscrew and go on the same...but I will mess with it tomorrow when I get off...scratching my head...:help:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts