Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the F#$%!! My anti lock brakes go crazy when I brake in any kind of wet or snowy weather. It's dangerous how much control I lose when these things kick in. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in this forum before but can't find the thread using the search. What are my options? I drive in snow a lot and am getting pretty freaked out lately coming to stops and on downhills. Is it because I still have the shitty factory Dunlops on? Will better tires make a difference? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife was coming to a stop sign on a steep down hill in the snow this morning in first gear delibrately trying not to hit the brake hard. As soon as she applied the brake the fu$%^&* things kick in and she slides into an intersection uncontrolably. If there was a car coming she'd be in an accident for sure. I think as soon as my tires start skidding, at all, these things kick in. I may look into studded tires for the winter. Anybody, using studs on their Tacoma??
 

·
Official Misfit
2006
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
hmm, mine have only come on once, and that was in an empty parking lot w/ snow when i stomped the brakes to see what abs feels like.

i've never had abs before so i can't commit
 

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
Joined
·
511 Posts
I use studded tires from Les Schwab, yet to have my brakes go crazy. Its been icey and snowy(except when I get into town) the past week or so. My driveway is really steep, really long and gets icey. Havent had a single problem yet with 4 wheel drive and studs. My sister has a Blazer, and the brakes on that thing go Apesh!t when its slick outside, but she doesnt have snow tires on it. Thinks because its an SUV and a 4x4 she doesnt need winter tires. :slap: Stupid Girl.
 

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
Joined
·
5,554 Posts
why cant a swtich be installed ? I know it has a seperate fuse for ABS. I would love to disable it when im off roading
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I went through the same sheit in the first snowstorm
since i bought the truck on dec 6.
slid right into an intersection. woudl have slid through the intersection
but that was plowed.

Next time i plan on mucking about in an empty parking lot
that hasn't been plowed yet so i can feel it out and
get used to it.
Until then, i'll take it easy in snowy weather.


on the other hand they worked when some jacka55
pulled out in front of me from a sidestreet while i was going about
35-40 mph. i jammed the peddle to the floor asap and it stopped quicker
than i expected. no skid........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
443 Posts
jerseyrob said:
What the F#$%!! My anti lock brakes go crazy when I brake in any kind of wet or snowy weather. :confused:
Thanks to government mandates to help us "save us from ourselves" airbags, antilock, what's next?
 

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
Joined
·
762 Posts
jerseyrob said:
My wife was coming to a stop sign on a steep down hill in the snow this morning in first gear delibrately trying not to hit the brake hard. As soon as she applied the brake the fu$%^&* things kick in and she slides into an intersection uncontrolably. If there was a car coming she'd be in an accident for sure. I think as soon as my tires start skidding, at all, these things kick in. I may look into studded tires for the winter. Anybody, using studs on their Tacoma??
Sounds like you have no clue how ABS works.

You say as soon as your tires start skidding the ABS kicks in. If that's the case, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
If you know you have to stop then do all your stopping ahead of time. Don't gradualy slow down then really get on the brakes right before you stop and expect to stop as if the ground is bare. If the antilock is kicking in with only a little pedal pressure that means that ground is really slippery. People don't realize just how little traction they have in the snow/ice and rain.

Don't assume you're going to stop in time in snow, assume you're not and you'll be much safer.

My anti-locks come on all the time when coming to a stop in snow but I don't have any problems sliding through intersection because I brake extra early and drive at speeds appropriate for the road conditions. Just because its 4wd and you may think you're able to drive faster in adverse conditions doesn't mean that physics don't apply.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
If they are thaat bad on your rig either go see the dealer or disable the ABS and run without it. If it has recently become over sensitive where in the past it wasn't the wheel sensors may just need a cleaning. I had a similar problem on my Lightning. The ABS went hyper sensitive. The lightest application of brakes activated the ABS. Pulled the wheels off and found road grime camed on the sensors and also the hub rings. Tooth brused cleaned everything up and all was well. Worth a look.
 

·
Tacoholic
Joined
·
343 Posts
mikeg281 said:
If you know you have to stop then do all your stopping ahead of time. Don't gradualy slow down then really get on the brakes right before you stop and expect to stop as if the ground is bare. If the antilock is kicking in with only a little pedal pressure that means that ground is really slippery. People don't realize just how little traction they have in the snow/ice and rain.

Don't assume you're going to stop in time in snow, assume you're not and you'll be much safer.

My anti-locks come on all the time when coming to a stop in snow but I don't have any problems sliding through intersection because I brake extra early and drive at speeds appropriate for the road conditions. Just because its 4wd and you may think you're able to drive faster in adverse conditions doesn't mean that physics don't apply.

Mike

+1
 

·
Toyota Fanboy
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
What exactly is the ABS doing? Its normal for the brake pedal to vibrate.
If the roads are slippery, it doesnt matter how good your tires are or whether or not you have ABS, you still wont be able to stop on a dime.
My advice: slow down and give yourself more braking distance. :thumbsup:
 

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
Joined
·
793 Posts
mikeg281 (hey, my initials are mike g also... :)) hit the nail on the head. i don't have any problems, and i just finished an 80 mile drive on ice covered interstate tonight. around town wasn't as bad, but i only kicked off the ABS once or twice, and stopped where i wanted to.

slow down ahead of time and give yourself lots of following distance.

-Mike
 

·
Tacoholic
Joined
·
343 Posts
Also, don't wait for a reason to stop. Drive slow enough so you can always stop before any possible obsticle that could come in front of your vehicle. It doesn't matter how wet or dry it is.

The brakes in this truck are pretty good. They aren't amazing, but they do work.
The ABS can be annoying, but only if you F up first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Fact is you will stop faster with abs on snow or ice than without. If you lock up your tires, you will slide way farther. Better tires will make abs not come on as fast because you wont be on the verge of locking up as quickly. I used to have studded tires on a brand new 92 tercel and it made it amazing on the ice. It was pretty loud on pavement though. Just better to take your time and stop sooner if traction becomes an issue. These all seasons seem fine to me, had the same on my 4runner with no problems for 3 winters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I'm used to pumping the brakes myself, I'm not used to the truck doing it for me.
It also sounds bad, a grinding sound not at all like our civic.
I think I just need to practice with it in an icy parking lot or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
abs can increase stopping distances on real slippery or loose surfaces. if it really bothers you may be able to just pull the abs fuse as someone else recomended. it's a quick an easy way to disable it, and on most cars it can be done without any additional unwanted effects other than the ABS light on the dash coming on.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top