Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife uses a tape adapter to listen to her mp3 player, but her original tape deck quit working. I grabbed another identical one off ebay for dirt cheap so her car can stay stock and she can listen to her mp3 player again. I just got the replacement in the mail, but before I start, is there anything I need to know about the anti-theft system? Is there a code I need? The numbers on the top of the replacement are:
TOYOTA
86120-06071
--------------
FUJITSU TEN @ 121000-4130D101
Serial No. R4103042

On the back, etched into the metal is:
121861-057

Also, her car has the Toyota CD player, but I'm not sure if the car this replacement came from had it.

The model of the radio is Toyota A11712

Thank you for all your help!

JS

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Ask him what information he has. If he installed an aftermarket unit, he may have had a conversation with someone after mentioning he was going to sell the old unit. In fact, he may have more background than you suspect.

When I was in the dealership, we had a radio recall involving heat sink replacement at the back of the units. None of those radios had an antitheft code. And, it costs you nothing to ask him about the unit he has sold to you.

On ebay ALWAYS ask the seller. This may not be the first car audio item he has sold, he could have an industry connection...you never never know unless you ask. You give him an opportunity to be a better ebay trader, you could find out what you're looking for, and everyone benefits from a more responsive ebay community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far. I asked the seller what he could tell me about the anti-theft. His response:

I looked through the owners manual and found how to set the anti-theft code, but not what it is. I never set it so it is still the factory setting. I never had a problem after changing the battery in the car. Goodluck.

I also looked up his profile. He's just an average buyer and seller. Clothing, electronics, etc. Good feedback, but only 49 transactions.

I guess my concern is just that I'm going to unplug the original, plug in the new one, it won't work, then when I plug the old one back in it won't work either.

Does Toyota have like a customer support number or should I just try it and then take the car to the dealer if it doesn't work.

Surely someone on here has replaced a broken stock stereo with another stocker.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Toyota OEM radios with anti-theft protection often had this printed on the front panel, I assume to warn thief’s not to bother stealing it. If the seller did not set the code, the radio should work. The factory or dealer did not set the code, the car owner did.

If you do set the code, be sure to write it down somewhere. If the battery goes dead, the radio will not work until the code is used. The dealer can get a code for you, but they often charge up to $80 to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts