Toyota Nation Forum banner

Anti-theft options on 2021 RAV4

17881 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  cb91710
I'm comparing 2021 RAV4 trims on toyota.com. Under "Safety/Convenience" I see two very similar options:

"Anti-theft system with engine immobilizer"
"Anti-theft system with alarm and engine immobilizer"

Does that mean the 1st one doesn't have any sort of protection against bad guys stealing stuff from the car? I'm also confused because I believe the car has a panic alarm.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
8 Posts
No, Your Rav4 just like mine has absolutely no security system installed. No alarm will sound if doors are opened after locked, nothing. Has a panic button, but that is not an alarm like any other brand of car. The engine immobilizer just means they need your key FOB or a cloned copy is needed to start the engine. If you read all the packages available for every trim model 2021 it does not include the option for an alarm. Most dealers will try to sell you a GPS transponder (KARR short for crap), but it is not an actual security system. Some more honest ones will install actual alarms systems that do not screw up the Toyota passive key-less entry and remote start.

· Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE ICE engine
399 Posts
No, Your Rav4 just like mine has absolutely no security system installed. No alarm will sound if doors are opened after locked, nothing. Has a panic button, but that is not an alarm like any other brand of car. The engine immobilizer just means they need your key FOB or a cloned copy is needed to start the engine. If you read all the packages available for every trim model 2021 it does not include the option for an alarm. Most dealers will try to sell you a GPS transponder (KARR short for crap), but it is not an actual security system. Some more honest ones will install actual alarms systems that do not screw up the Toyota passive key-less entry and remote start.
The engine immobilizer light blinks red on the MID display of the 2021 XLE 24/7 whenever vehicle is turned off in park. The light shuts off when car is started. Does this light and the anti theft system drain the battery if car is not driven for several days? It seems like it would be a parasitic battery draw.

· Registered
8 Posts
The engine immobilizer light blinks red on the MID display of the 2021 XLE 24/7 whenever vehicle is turned off in park. The light shuts off when car is started. Does this light and the anti theft system drain the battery if car is not driven for several days? It seems like it would be a parasitic battery draw.
Not to my knowledge, doubt it, but then I've only had it 3-months.

· Registered
2018 Toyota Highlander
1,127 Posts
All cars build / sold during the past 20 years have the engine immobilizer / transponder key so that they can't be started by "jumping" wires.
There are many electronic circuits that are permanently connected to the battery and drawing a small amount of current while the car is parked and locked. The current draw is very small and doesn't impact the battery life in practical terms. I have left cars parked in the garage for 3-6 months while working abroad, and never had any issues with drained batteries. They would start as if they were parked the night before. The are designed to work like that.
One exception are aftermarket accessories - many people (including accessory shops) add electronics to their cars without knowing what they really do, and then you can find "horror stories" on the internet.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE; 2019 Highlander PLT AWD; 2008 Sienna XLE LTD AWD
23 Posts
Have that wonderful sticker, and that is all it is... a sticker. There is no factory alarm in my 2021 Rav4 XLE Premium Hybrid.
From what I’ve read, if you have the audio plus package then you will get the sticker to indicate the alarm is present. Easy test, unroll the driver window, lock car, wait a few seconds, reach in and open door using interior handle. If the horn goes off, you have the factory alarm.

· Registered
8 Posts
From what I’ve read, if you have the audio plus package then you will get the sticker to indicate the alarm is present. Easy test, unroll the driver window, lock car, wait a few seconds, reach in and open door using interior handle. If the horn goes off, you have the factory alarm.
Yep Have all the 3 packages tech, weather, and audio. Tried that after the second time it was broken in to, it did nothing.

· Registered
8 Posts
That's disappointing. Thanks for clarifying.

Sorry to hear about the break ins.
Oddly enough I tested it again last Saturday, didn't work, so called the dealership explained the problem, mentioned it was broken into twice, they got very interested and scheduled an appointment to look at it Tuesday morning, dropping it off Monday after work and getting a loaner car. So this evening I tested it before I went up there and "suddenly" it was working properly loud and proud... I'm thinking they did a remote software update cause the 3 other times including just before calling them it did absolutely nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.