Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heya

I have a Gen 11 Corolla (2015 Corolla S Plus).

I'm looking for four new lock actuators ("What!?" I can hear you sarcastically say. ha!). (apparently this is a known issue and a TSB has been issued but no repairs under recall)... Anyhow, the Toyota OEM lock actuators are silly money expensive. The cheapest I've been able to find is ~$220+ per actuator. So my question is, as I look into AISIN brand "OE" replacement lock actuators, which are significantly less expensive than the Toyota OEMs, they list different versions of actuators for Corollas "with Anti-Theft" and "without Anti-Theft".

Can anyone tell me how Theft Deterrent (as listed in the Owner's Mnual) and Anti-Theft is different? Which should I be getting with or without?

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Welcome to TN.

What trim do you have? If it's an XLE or LE, you may have the anti theft alarm made by 3rd party that sells to Toyota. Not sure if it's still VIP by this gen.

You can also contact Toyota customer service and provide the VIN and they can confirm what was installed prior to being sold.

Edit : they might be referring to smart key, which Toyota made available as an option for purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to TN.
Thanks! (I've been lurking for quite some time. I've always been able to find my answer by searching, this time I was forced to post. ha

What trim do you have? If it's an XLE or LE, you may have the anti theft alarm made by 3rd party that sells to Toyota. Not sure if it's still VIP by this gen.
Trim is an S Plus. (see top of OP) I purchased the car used, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have any options other than what came with the S Plus trim package. I just can't figure out why there would different door lock sets for Anti-Theft.

I think I've settled in that I'll need the AISIN DLT-117, -119, -136, and -138. I was just looking for some reassurance.

You can also contact Toyota customer service and provide the VIN and they can confirm what was installed prior to being sold.

Edit : they might be referring to smart key, which Toyota made available as an option for purchase.
As far as I can tell, I just have Theft Deterrent. Maybe contacting RockAuto or AISIN is the better path since it's AISIN who is differentiating their products.

·
6,178 Posts
Theft deterrent devices visually warn thieves the vehicle is protected by an alarm or other antitheft devices.
Eg, red alarm flashing light. decals stating car will use flame thrower in case of attempt or king cobra lives inside and has babies to protect.
Also, deterrent device simply prevents any possibility of theft.
This article here gives you ten ways to do that:
https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/ten-anti-theft-devices.aspx

Simple mechanical hidden kill switch is about the best way to. Unless you want to add complete system immobilizer to the fuse box and take it key with you home every time.
Remember, there is no protection against impounder truck.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Wow! King Cobra protection. Just gotta figure a way inside without getting bitten.

Never knew this issue had been around. I knew Toyota offered smart key since 10th gen, but was a very low buy rate.

Why oh why, would the actuators matter with keyless entry versus the alarm? Rolling code technology?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theft deterrent devices visually warn thieves the vehicle is protected by an alarm or other antitheft devices.
Eg, red alarm flashing light. decals stating car will use flame thrower in case of attempt or king cobra lives inside and has babies to protect.
Also, deterrent device simply prevents any possibility of theft.
This article here gives you ten ways to do that:
https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/ten-anti-theft-devices.aspx

Simple mechanical hidden kill switch is about the best way to. Unless you want to add complete system immobilizer to the fuse box and take it key with you home every time.
Thank you for the information, however, you apparently only read the Subject and not my complete post. Nor did you look at the attached image. The question is with regard to what's actually on the 2015 Corolla S Plus ("Theft Deterrent") and what feature set AISIN is claiming their replacement lock actuators match (with or with out Anti-Theft System). I'm under the assumption that AISIN is not referring to after-market anti-theft systems. I think AISIN means Theft Deterrent, not Anti-Theft, but I'm not 100% sure and am wary of purchasing actuators, only to get them installed and discover that they are not the correct ones.

So what I guess I really need to know is if Toyota had an "Anti-Theft System" option, in addition to the Theft Deterrent, available.

Remember, there is no protection against impounder truck.
Wrong. Simply make your payments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew Toyota offered smart key since 10th gen, but was a very low buy rate.
Why oh why, would the actuators matter with keyless entry versus the alarm? Rolling code technology?
I agree ...and now you know why I'm trying to figure out Anti-Theft versus Theft Deterrent!

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
I don't think it would matter. It might be a wording use to charge more money.

If you think about it, the Corolla has an immobilizer. This is technically the deterrent part of the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts