Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95' Toyota Pickup with a 22re motor. At an idle with radiator cap off it purges coolant out of top of radiator. With slight acceleration it pulls coolant back down into the radiator core. It also has a slight knock on the top end, a little more than the usual ticking noise of the rockers. I am assuming head gasket or head problems, can this be anything other than that?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if there was a head gasket problem, when you accelerate, the coolant would spit out of the radiator more, not suck it in. (someone correct me if im wrong?)

Depending on how much coolant its sucking back in, what youre describing is normal. when you accelerate, (water pump spins faster), water fluctuates a little with the cap off. If its sucking in ALOT of coolant when you accelerate(like it disappears in the fins), then im not really sure, honestly. but from what youre saying it sounds normal.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Consider a leakdown and compression test to confirm any headgasket issues.

Also you can get your coolant tested for the presence of combustion gases.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
During normal operation, coolant will overflow the radiator with the cap off. that's thermal expansion 101. fixed volume, add heat to a liquid, it expands and overflows the volume. that's what creates pressure in the coolant system that keeps it from boiling. normally, any pressure over what the cap is rated for will be vented to the reservoir, when it cools, it pulls coolant through a smaller port in the cap with a much lighter spring.

That's why reservoirs have a HOT level and a Cold level.

That's also why you can lose coolant through a small leak in the radiator without the overflow bottle level changing. when it cools it can pull air in the pinhole leak more easily that it can pull coolant through the hose and cap.

blown head or head gasket will bubble over from the radiator cap almost immediately and do so worse when revved.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
During normal operation, coolant will overflow the radiator with the cap off. that's thermal expansion 101. fixed volume, add heat to a liquid, it expands and overflows the volume. that's what creates pressure in the coolant system that keeps it from boiling. normally, any pressure over what the cap is rated for will be vented to the reservoir, when it cools, it pulls coolant through a smaller port in the cap with a much lighter spring.

That's why reservoirs have a HOT level and a Cold level.

That's also why you can lose coolant through a small leak in the radiator without the overflow bottle level changing. when it cools it can pull air in the pinhole leak more easily that it can pull coolant through the hose and cap.

blown head or head gasket will bubble over from the radiator cap almost immediately and do so worse when revved.
Sweet i was actually right :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts