Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bollockchops
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone in Toronto reading this has an Echo with cruise control, would it be possible to have a quick look at it sometime? Read on for my saga…

I'm having Cruise Control problems with my 04 Echo. I'm having trouble getting ToyotaCanada to fix it, because every time a mechanic looks at it they throw their hands up in the air saying, “I can't work on this, it is not a Toyota part”. There is a good chance it was installed at the Port Of Entry by an authorized third party. If it is the original part, installed at the factory, or at an authorized third party, (Toyota part or not) they are responsible for maintaining it under warranty.

For some reason
Toyota’s telephone Customer Service could not confirm that the car was originally ordered with cruise control. Believe it or not, I had to pound the pavement and harass the business manager at the dealership where it was originally purchased, and get him to track down the original ink-on-paper purchase contract to tell if the car was ordered with cruise. I was beginning to feel like I was getting the old run-around.

It seems now that the car WAS ordered with cruise (option package BA-05 BTW) but since I am the second owner, Toyota Customer Service is telling me that, if the cruise unit is not a Toyota part then the previous owner must have replaced it. Why they would do that when it is under warranty…I don't know. It would be justified if it were true. I am just dumbfounded as to why they would suggest that original owner replace the OEM cruise control of their own volition. I fear that they know it is a non-Toyota part, installed at the Port Of Entry (POE) by an authorized third party, and I can’t prove it. And if I can’t prove it, I can’t hold them accountable.

Anyway, in order to determine if this is actually a
Toyota part, I'd like to have a look at another Echo with cruise control. I’d like to peek at the controller stalk, and the black box, as well as the installation method.

Mine has the control cables electrical taped to a wire bundle running from the fire wall in front of the driver to the throttle body just behind the hood-latch. The electrical tape makes me think it is an authorized third party POE installation.

So, if any kind soul with a cruise control Echo in Toronto would like to get together, and let me have a boo at the cruise mechanism, I'd appreciate it. An '04 would be an apples to apples comparison, but any other year might suffice.

Please reply here or my direct e-mail
bpolltogmz-
DeleteThis-@yahoo.ca

Thanks folks
Bill Pollock

·
I Like Traffic Lights !!!
78 Bronco
520 Posts
I'm in B.C. but I can tell you that Cruise on an Echo is Dealer installed and not factory and I'm not sure if it's a Toyota part or not.

This is what mine looks like,

·
Bollockchops
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 05_Echo

That's what my stalk looks like too, exept yours looks like it is pointed at 9:30, where mine is pointed more at 8:00.

The thing that is not a Toyota part according to the mechanic, is the black actuator box inside the engine compartment.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts