Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Avalon, and Im curious how many people out there have an Avalon and what have you done to it? Any pictures will be nice. I just ordered clear corner turn signal lenses for my car, and I have 20% black tint, with JBL speakers and Pioneer Premier 550MP head unit.

Any performance suggestions or visual idas are welcome.

-Compuwiz

·
Noob in Training
38 Posts
:help: I've got a 96 Avalon and I'm about to start putting on the mods.

Who put your head unit in? If you did it yourself, could you please tell me how to remove the bezel around the vents/ignition/climate control?

As for new mods: Already have the clear corners. Strut bar and cold air coming soon (this week). Also have a guy who'll put a supercharger on real cheap as soon as I get it. After the winter I'll be putting on 17s or 18s because my stock rims look like carp. I haven't decided on the style yet.

Let me know what kind of mods you are looking for

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pm sent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 96 as well. It's got high miles so I'm not too concerned about modifying the vehicle.
The car has:
  • Homemade CAI
  • XM Radio
My intent for the CAI was for gas mileage. Since I've installed it, the highway mpg has gone from 28 to 34 on average. Well worth a few bucks.
I'd like to get a supercharger, but it has too many reasons going against it concerning this car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
san jose ave.

i got a '96 XLS... goin for the tuner style... drop, tints, and motor mods... and maybe some bling by replacing all interior speakers, head unit, and maybe drop some subs in the trunk...

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
Hi all,
its nice that they have a sub-forum for our avalons. I have also a 96 avalon. I've did to it: 98 clear headlights, 4200k HIDs, DIY clear taillights, DIY heated seats, DIY lumbar support, indiglo gauges, wood grain from 98 avy, 2000 avalon speakers, DIY intake, strut bar, grounding wires, 92 lexus SC 15" rims, 6.5" indash double din DVD player, alpine MRV-f352 amp. Thats about it. You can check out my cardomain page, on the link somewhere in my posting. If not its labeled 'Updated 96 fun avalon' I think its maroon, about 8 down from the top of the list :clap:

I wanna get the TRD supercharger but need the $$$ for other family/girlfriend matter. Maybe in the future if I don't get the new tacoma :naughty:

I have some 4" component system from rockford fosgate FNX1414 I think. Gonna change out the current speakers and put these in. Take out the sub and get a rockford fosgate P18-something (their PUNCH 8" sub) and some dynamats. Soon get the 17" 5 spoke rim from the 04 solara I think thats it.

Hey 96avalonxls, the stock rims your taking out, are those the 15" 6 spoke ones?

·
Registered
16 Posts
96AvalonXLS said:
:help: I've got a 96 Avalon and I'm about to start putting on the mods.

Who put your head unit in? If you did it yourself, could you please tell me how to remove the bezel around the vents/ignition/climate control?

As for new mods: Already have the clear corners. Strut bar and cold air coming soon (this week). Also have a guy who'll put a supercharger on real cheap as soon as I get it. After the winter I'll be putting on 17s or 18s because my stock rims look like carp. I haven't decided on the style yet.

Let me know what kind of mods you are looking for
it's pretty easy just work a screwdriver behind the clip and pop it out of it's retaining clips

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all,

Will parts for a V6 Camry fit a V6 Avalon?? I have been wanting to upgrade my intake as well as my suspension, but can't find anything worth while for the Avalon. The only thing suspension wise that I can find are KYB or Tokico shocks and Intrax springs. I like Tokico, but to be honest, I haven't heard good things about Intrax...are their springs any good? Can anyone help??

Thanks,

D

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
yeah most engine parts should work. but body kits= nope cause the avys are longer. Some have used intrax and said there pretty good. Most setup is tokico/votgland. Clear corners from camry= :thumbdown just doesn't fit. most avy owners tried it and no success. if you've seen other avy owner wit it, then its custom.

·
I am MAYHEM!
2002 Toyota Tundra
346 Posts
I also have a 1996 Avalon XLS. It has 164,000 miles on it, so I really don't plan on modding the car much, other than tinting the windows in order to keep cool and protect the leather seats.

After much searching of the 'net for clear corners, I have come to the realization that nobody makes anything for the Avalon! It seemed to be the same when I had my 1988 Camry, but atleast I was able to swap out the orange front turn signals for clear ones off of a 1991 Camry.

At least one good thing comes out of this, I can save money for a new 2005 Avalon and (hopefully) mod that! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where do I find votgland springs??

The orange turn signals...are you talking about the ones mounted on the bumper??

Thanks,

D

·
Registered
Avalon
262 Posts
I have a '99 Avalon with 172k miles on it. Not gonna mod it as I just put $1000 in it (rebuilt front end in my driveway) for a fender bender that was my fault. Small price to pay for an important lesson, assured cleared distance is priceless. Wouldn't want to mod the thing if I had the oportunity. Toyota engineers did a fine job, and I don't need it to look unique. I'd rather save the time and money for a 2JZ-GTE Supra (someday after I graduate). Maybe the new Avalons will be in my price range when I come into a real job. I sat in one in Detroit, and that car is just like a baby Ls430 with front wheel drive, at half the cost. The new techonology in the car was awesome. Can't wait to drive one in about a month or two. Can't imagine the car can be even smoother and quieter than it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts