Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is about time to replace my engine air filter, so i started looking at dealer vs. ebay pricing.

just wondered if there were any drawbacks to the k&N drop in engine air filter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-Air-Filter-2007-07-Toyota-Camry-2-4L-4-cyl-33-2370_W0QQitemZ260162021768QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33659QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i never really understood what made them so good, or really how they lasted so long.

for the price compared to a oem filter, and just not having to ever by a filter again, i thought it might be worth the money.

ANY NEGETIVES TO THIS FILTER in my gen 6 ???

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts

·
07 Camry SE V6
07 Camry
274 Posts
the kit last forever

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Pretty easy.

More airflow through the same size filter = more dirt into the engine - no free lunch....

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,575 Posts
njerald said:
Pretty easy.

More airflow through the same size filter = more dirt into the engine - no free lunch....

YEP....more dirt gets by...for sure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well that is what i was afraid of
a few people saying yes they are good, and some saying nah, stick with stock.......

njerald .... wouldn't the prefilter help with the amount of dirt getting into the main filter ?
or atleast i think the camry has a prefilter ....

and will trd come out with a drop in anytime soon ? i so i would imagine that you feel the same about them ?

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I really don't see any measurable negatives.

I currently have a car with 242,000 miles on it. I purchased the car used with 30,000 miles on it. The previous owner had installed a K&N FIPK when he bought it new. I got rid of the FIPK and installed a factory Ram Air setup with a K&N air filter. The car uses no oil and has perfectly balanced factory as new compression. That indicates to me that the K&N air filter doesn't allow large enough particles through to cause any measurable engine damage or wear.

The real restriction in the factory air intake system is the paper air filter. Adding a K&N or TRD filter (my recommendation for a Toyota) eliminates that restriction.

Many years ago I was dyno testing my Ram Air setup and removed the K&N air filter. I did not gain any power at all. Talk about efficiency.

K&N recharger kits (cleaner and filter oil) are around $10 at most auto parts chain stores. Normally you will only have to use them every couple of years or more.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Stacking filters in series means increased pressure drop = less air flow for the same size filters and ducting.

Filters are pleated to increase the filter surface area in the same filter mounting area. More filter area gives either better filtration with the same air flow or more air flow with the same filtration rate.

·
I do all my own stunts
561 Posts
The advantage to using a washable element filter versus a disposable throw away one is just that, it's washable. Helps the environment and keeps maintenance costs down. You may feel a bit more airflow but that's about it. You only get an extra .75 WHP if you put thier sticker on saying "DO NOT DISCARD THIS FILTER"

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
07XLE said:
The advantage to using a washable element filter versus a disposable throw away one is just that, it's washable. Helps the environment and keeps maintenance costs down. You may feel a bit more airflow but that's about it. You only get an extra .75 WHP if you put thier sticker on saying "DO NOT DISCARD THIS FILTER"
i understand that,
i am not looking for any increase in anything, just looking to not have to replace it so often, i do realize i have to oil it, however oil every 50,000 is alot better than replacing every 15,000 .....

i am putting 25,000 miles on a year, so i am looking at after almost 30,000 miles seeing payback for the added cost on the k&n filter......

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
n8dogg455 said:
i understand that,
i am not looking for any increase in anything, just looking to not have to replace it so often, i do realize i have to oil it, however oil every 50,000 is alot better than replacing every 15,000 .....

i am putting 25,000 miles on a year, so i am looking at after almost 30,000 miles seeing payback for the added cost on the k&n filter......
Just pulled my Cabin air filter and engine air filter out for a check after 20,000 miles.

They have a few leaves and twigs on them but are still white!!!

I'm not out driving on dirt/gravel roads though......

Buttoned them back up and will check in 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
njerald said:
Just pulled my Cabin air filter and engine air filter out for a check after 20,000 miles.

They have a few leaves and twigs on them but are still white!!!

I'm not out driving on dirt/gravel roads though......

Buttoned them back up and will check in 10,000 miles.
Do you have instructions for checking Cabin Air Filter for 2007 Camry?

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
camry man68 said:
there's a drawback to a k&n drop in filter, it doesnt give you nearly as much performance as an open element air filtered intake does, like a cold air intake or short ram.
:thumbdown

:lol: False.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts