Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
camry man68 said:
^explain, please
Why don't you explain, it was your statement!!!!!!!

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
camry man68 said:
^explain, please
As stated above. Explain your statement.

It's actually hard NOT to find information regarding your false statement. 30 seconds of research will enlighten you.

CAI's and specifically SRI's are a waste of money. The ones that say they "feel" the increase have their heads in their asses.

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
i see no negatives with the K&N or TRD air filter for your car....i personally have the TRD filter and i highly reccomend it for your camry....it allows higher airflow and less restriction than the paper filter, and to my knowlage it has never been proven that it lets any more dirt in the engine if it is cleaned and oiled regularly, just as one would replace the stock air filter when it becomes dirty
they will last forever too if it is taken care of

·
Import Tuning
517 Posts
I'll explain, drop in air filters are in a restrictive filter box, this box doesnt allow much air to get to the filter. Also, the stock intake piping is restrictive as well. Open element air-filters aren't enclosed, therefore they suck in alot more air, also they're cone shape design allows for more air to be taken in. Also, the colder the air the more power you get, a cold air intake builds on that foundation. There are dynos out there that prove cai's and short rams give you more power than drop ins.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
clarkgrizwald said:
man you guys are splitting hairs on air filters but your dropping 100s of dollars on springs and wheels! where the logic????
i will explain,
assume i will have my car for 200,000 + miles, but for arguement sake lets just say 200,000 miles (i put about 25,000 a year on, since i have a long commute daily) ( my wife's corolla has 367,000 on it right now :)

anyway

assuming i replace my air filter every 15,000 (i do have dirt roads, and live down a long stone road) at 18.00 shipped on ebay that equals = 200000/15000*18.00 = 240 bucks in oem filters for the life of my car. (assuming i install them myself)

assuming (conservatively speaking) an extra 1 MPG increase
for one tank of gas now i average 25 MPG and normally put 15 gallons in it when i fill up
so 15*25 = 375 miles per tank
if i stay with oem filters - 200000/375 = 533 fill ups
based on 2.75 per gallon - $21986 on gas for the lifetime

now assuming 26 MPG with the 40 dollar K&N filter
15*26 = 390 miles per tank
200000/390 = 512 fill ups
based on 2.75 per gallon - $21120 on gas for lifetime.

final costs

oem
21986 + 240 = $22226

K&N
21120 + 40 + 10 kit = $21170

cost savings = $1056 over the life of the vehicle

IMO
i see that number and now i can justify to my wife upfron that
A) i should invest in K&N drop in's
B) I now can afford to sink $1000 bucks into a set of rims for my car

not everyone has unlimited funds to spend on thier cars, so a simple cost analysis helps me sleep at night nowing that i am not wasting money with upgrades, but infact saving money, or atleast allowing me to buy more upgrades.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
1 mpg increase (conservative????) with the K&N????????

Delusional..........

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
njerald said:

Delusional..........
+1

You will not get a measurable increase in fuel mileage.

camry man68 said:
I'll explain, drop in air filters are in a restrictive filter box, this box doesnt allow much air to get to the filter. Also, the stock intake piping is restrictive as well. Open element air-filters aren't enclosed, therefore they suck in alot more air, also they're cone shape design allows for more air to be taken in. Also, the colder the air the more power you get, a cold air intake builds on that foundation. There are dynos out there that prove cai's and short rams give you more power than drop ins.
The factory airbox and tubing is not restrictive, the factory air filter is. It's easy enough to show a gain when installing any part on a dyno without the gain being real. Can you tell me what part of the factory air intake setup is restrictive exactly? And more restrictive than what? I can't imagine that any part of the air intake is smaller than any single intake port or even the throttle body. If your saying that it is, give us the dimensions please.

Apparently, you really haven't done ANY actual research or ANY real testing yourself. You are simply passing along ricer myths. That does not help anyone.

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
simple fact
stock airbox is made of heat resisting materials and sucks colder air from the grille.

a short ram intake draws warm engine bay air, and thus LOSES power for your camry....but hey it adds a cool noise if less power/cool sound is what youre looking for

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
njerald said:

Delusional..........

well i personally know 5 cars and 2 bikes with K&N filters the only thing that was changed was the filter, nothing else.

they varied between 2 mpg and no MPG increase

so i did a simple statistical analysis and assumed i might see 1 MPG difference.

like i said, i am not doing this mod for the MPG gain, but instead doing it simply so i don't need to hassle with changing the filter.
if i get any increase in MPG it is just an added bonus

·
I do all my own stunts
561 Posts
Alright, the downfall I see is that when it comes time to clean/recharge the K&N or any other washable filter for that matter, is that it takes some time for the filter to dry from the wash before you re-oil (recharge) it. For that reason, if you do change over to a washable air filter, hold on to your previous one so it can be put in the car temporarily in case you need to use the vehicle while you recharge the washable filter. Aside from that, every car I've ever owned has had a washable air filter. Just my two pennies.

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
camry man68 said:
you guys can have your opinion, im completely happy with my injen cold air intake
They aren't opinions, they're facts.

Yours was an opinion that you passed along as fact. There's a difference.

To the OP. Get the K&N and keep your old air filter for when you have to clean the K&N.

You'll save some money and it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I found this on the K&N website for the SRI:
I'm just going to say that the gains are probably noticeable their because it doesnt suck up hot engine air when on the dyno, correct? And from what i've heard it takes a bit for the sensors to notice the increase in airflow, so in short order your back to what it was before.

·
Import Tuning
517 Posts
TRD VVTi said:
They aren't opinions, they're facts.
Yours was an opinion that you passed along as fact. There's a difference.
To the OP. Get the K&N and keep your old air filter for when you have to clean the K&N.
You'll save some money and it won't hurt anything.
here are some links that have dyno proof that cai's and short rams are better-
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Nissan-Altima-AEM-Cold-Air-Intake-Installation.php

http://www.hptmotorsports.com/images/injen_evo_intake_dyno.jpg

http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca_1005.gif

this next link prooves k&n drop inn filters arent as good as open elements
http://www.occracing.com/images/dyno1.jpg

need more, well here you go-
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/features/interviews/aem/001/images/dyno-hp.gif

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I have gained at least 4/10ths in the quarter over a stock Camry and mine has the added weight of a body kit.

Things that make you go mmmmm.....

geoff5093 pretty much hit the nail on the head. :thumbup: Anybody can show and immediate dyno gain.

·
Import Tuning
517 Posts
well there comes a point in a agruement where theres no point arguing on, if dynos cant convince you i dont know what can because dynos are the truth:preach:. Anyways from this little debate i now know that there are actually people who support the drop in filters, interesting.

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
camry man68 said:
well there comes a point in a agruement where theres no point arguing on, if dynos cant convince you i dont know what can because dynos are the truth.
:rolleyes: Actually, the real world is where the truth is...

Again, what YOU claim is a fact is actually an INCORRECT OPINION that you are passing off as fact.

·
Import Tuning
517 Posts
TRD VVTi said:
:rolleyes: Actually, the real world is where the truth is...

Again, what YOU claim is a fact is actually an INCORRECT OPINION that you are passing off as fact.
How do you proove that the k&n drop in is better, you said earlier that cai's and short rams hurt the car instead of improving it, but how would you know that without looking at dynos, so in actuallity all of your actual facts are based on dynos. The real world is a truth to a certent degree because in the real world a human by himself cannot tell how much hp a car has gained or loss due to a modification, thats what dynos are for. A modification is labeled bad or not based on the performance gains and losses, these performance gains and losses as stated before can only be identified by a dyno. Therefore, truth is in a dyno, especially when there are lots of dynos all backing up the same conclusion.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts