Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
67 Posts
"I ran my Camry in the 1/4 mile." ???????? This thread had merit until I read that. I think you have the wrong car for the job. I think most would understand that Camrys are an econobox, and a comfortable reliable econobox at best. What purpose is it to run a Camry in a 1/4 mile? What purpose can this serve? Front wheel drive, max at best 300hp, even then what do you accomplish? Hey..the other day I tested my 6 year old for her max deadlift.....found that if I feed her straight dianabol with her breakfast, she deadlifts more the following week! Fantastic results and completely meaningless, unimportant, financially and otherwise poor allocation of resources. Get or make a car that's made to go fast, or, the right car for the job. Jesus.
I originally posted a long and involved reply about no hobby being rational or having a financial payoff, and how if everyone took your advice, there would be none of the various custom cars we've enjoyed through the decades, many of which were also illogical money pits that started with regular cars. But I think I can distill my post down to one question: what compels someone to join a forum for Camry enthusiasts to sh!t on people who are enthusiastic about their Camrys? (Or attempt to sh!t on, I should say, since this thread has been dead for more than a decade).

Anyway, if anyone really is still wondering the benefits of a K&N drop-in filter (I've had them on a few of my cars)--there really aren't any you're likely to notice. They add a little intake hiss, alter your filter-maintenance routine, and maybe make you feel like you've 'modded' your car in a small way. They cost nothing and won't hurt anything, so if you're curious, go for it.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,408 Posts
Well, if you've ever bought a fancy watch when you could have just checked the time on your phone... or bought a nice suit or shoes instead of going to Marshall's or Payless... or upgraded to the latest iPhone when a refurbished 5 does the same everyday stuff... or bought a guitar when you're not a virtuoso... or dined at a restaurant when you could have made a sandwich at home... you get the idea. Hobbies are not rational and almost never recover their costs, so unless you're living a life of monastic asceticism, it's probably better not to throw stones. After all, if all automotive enthusiasts were primarily turned on by saving cents on the dollar running their old Camrys a half-million miles, there would be no chopped Deuce Coupes from the '50s, no souped-up Chevys from the '60s, no rat-rod Mustangs from the '80s, no slammed Civics from the 2000s, etc. That might be a more 'correct' world and remediate all that unnecessary fun people have had making regular cars 'their own', but would it really be better if everyone listened to you? (Which they won't anyway, because this thread has been dead for more than a decade).

Anyway, if anyone really is still wondering the benefits of a K&N drop-in filter (I've had them on a few of my cars)--there really aren't any you're likely to notice. They add a little intake hiss, alter your filter-replacement routine, and maybe make you feel like you've 'modded' your car in a small way. They cost nothing and won't hurt anything, so if you're curious, go for it.
They sorta cost a bit but not that bad. This is generally just how the Toyota community is, performance modifications are frowned upon but if you are the type of person that can look pass them and do the things that you want with what you want and what you have then it does not matter what anyone says. If they can prove that they can do it and know what they are doing, I will give them encouragement. If they ask how to get more power and seem to not know what they are doing, then I will give them "advice" or I will just straight up be sarcastic. LS swap anyone?

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,024 Posts
"I ran my Camry in the 1/4 mile." ???????? This thread had merit until I read that. I think you have the wrong car for the job. I think most would understand that Camrys are an econobox, and a comfortable reliable econobox at best. What purpose is it to run a Camry in a 1/4 mile? What purpose can this serve? Front wheel drive, max at best 300hp, even then what do you accomplish? Hey..the other day I tested my 6 year old for her max deadlift.....found that if I feed her straight dianabol with her breakfast, she deadlifts more the following week! Fantastic results and completely meaningless, unimportant, financially and otherwise poor allocation of resources. Get or make a car that's made to go fast, or, the right car for the job. Jesus.
I know this COVID-19 thing has everybody stuck at home and bored, but seriously. I hope you could find better things to do than drag up a thread that has been dead for over 12 years, for no other reason than to ramble on not adding any new or useful information. That is a real good example of, how did you say it ? “ completely meaningless, unimportant, financially and otherwise poor allocation of resources”

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
787 Posts
Many years ago I was dyno testing my Ram Air setup and removed the K&N air filter. I did not gain any power at all. Talk about efficiency.
Seems to me, that shows there's no increase in power due to increased air flow.
The '53 Ford V8 I once owned, had a factory-stock oil bath air filter. K&N leader in Technology

·
Registered
86 Posts
simple fact
stock airbox is made of heat resisting materials and sucks colder air from the grille.

a short ram intake draws warm engine bay air, and thus LOSES power for your camry....but hey it adds a cool noise if less power/cool sound is what youre looking for
They should call those things hot air intakes!

·
Registered
127 Posts
K&N or any decent oilable filter will filter fine, the oil is what traps the dirt along with the gauze. Dirt bikes have used oiled foam for decades as the oil traps the smallest particles, up side reuse filter down side keep close eye on it and clean it often. Depending on where and how you drive, my friend works off a dirt road his needs cleaning more often but they work great if oiled properly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
K&N or any decent oilable filter will filter [be] fine, . . . they work great if oiled properly.
Indeed. And "properly" meaning very, very lightly, as they are when you get them brand-new and pre-oiled.

Many people screw things up royally with the "more is better" attitude, and it absolutely, positively, is not. You should not be able to pull out any appreciable "oil mist" from a properly oiled K&N (or similar) filter. Following the manufacturer's cleaning and oiling protocols to the letter is immensely helpful.

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,408 Posts
Indeed. And "properly" meaning very, very lightly, as they are when you get them brand-new and pre-oiled.

Many people screw things up royally with the "more is better" attitude, and it absolutely, positively, is not. You should not be able to pull out any appreciable "oil mist" from a properly oiled K&N (or similar) filter. Following the manufacturer's cleaning and oiling protocols to the letter is immensely helpful.
I've typically found cleaning (even with the instructions) a bit hard because it can be hard to tell when the pink is... red... I have had instances of where I was leaking oil but at the same time when I have cleaned my MAF since installing my CAI it has been as clean as when I had the OEM air box.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Admittedly it can be somewhat difficult to decide when to stop, but this is definitely a case where "less is more." A very light spritz of oil, provided you have covered the entire filtering surface, is sufficient.

I guess my main point is these aren't "oil bath" filters, they're fine mesh fiber filters with a very light oiling for "added grab."

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
242 Posts
The oil bath filter still exist on some gas lawn mower especially on Briggs & Stratton, on the tune up kit the little green filter foam element they ask you to soak on engine oil and squeeze the extra out off it before installation.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts