Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered and received an EcoHitch for my 2018 Toyota Higlander SE and am having some fitment issues. My compact spare tire does not sit flush with the undercarriage after the hitch has been installed. When attempting to put the spare tire back after installing the hitch the tire hits the hitch. According to EcoHitch (Torklift Central) this is normal and i need to put the spare tire over the hitch then continue to raise it. Ive tried this multiple times and have never gotten the tire to sit flush with the undercarriage. It is a pretty drastic angle and i can hear the tire hitting the underside when going over bumps. The spare tire cable is as tight as i feel i can make it. As the spare tire is pushed to the front a bit it just dose not sit flush. There is a tiny gap that allows the spare tire to move a bit.

If anyone else running this hitch and can comment i would appreciate it. Ive installed the hitch three times. Made sure it was as close to the bumper side as i could make it. Even tried installing it with the spare tire partially installed to see if that would do anything.

On a side note the quality control on the Eco Hitch is extremely lacking. The side brackets bottom holes are not drilled very well. They will not allow the bolts to fit through them. Looks like someone drilled them by hand and poorly at that. One would think a drill press would have been used to ensure the hole is straight through. Instructions aren't very accurate. The included hardware lists states you need 16 washers but according to the diagrams you actually need 20. They only send you 16.

Ive reached out to the manufacture to see if am missing something or perhaps received a mislabeled or poorly made hitch. I was sent the X7250.

·
7,783 Posts
Weird,
As the EcoHitch sits on the lower part of the bumper. Yes, when you get the tire off the ground, about an inch of the hitch is in the way of you reeling the tire up, so a nudge of the tire passes the hitch then aligns itslef straight as it hangs from the cable from the center of the wheel, and unless you have some obstruction under it, or in the cable there should be no reason for it not to reel up.
I don't think the 2018 has a different design than previous models in the HL 3rd gen. Maybe some minor cosmetics, but height and all I think is the same.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ordered and received an EcoHitch for my 2018 Toyota Higlander SE and am having some fitment issues. My compact spare tire does not sit flush with the undercarriage after the hitch has been installed. When attempting to put the spare tire back after installing the hitch the tire hits the hitch. According to EcoHitch (Torklift Central) this is normal and i need to put the spare tire over the hitch then continue to raise it. Ive tried this multiple times and have never gotten the tire to sit flush with the undercarriage. It is a pretty drastic angle and i can hear the tire hitting the underside when going over bumps. The spare tire cable is as tight as i feel i can make it. As the spare tire is pushed to the front a bit it just dose not sit flush. There is a tiny gap that allows the spare tire to move a bit.

If anyone else running this hitch and can comment i would appreciate it. Ive installed the hitch three times. Made sure it was as close to the bumper side as i could make it. Even tried installing it with the spare tire partially installed to see if that would do anything.

On a side note the quality control on the Eco Hitch is extremely lacking. The side brackets bottom holes are not drilled very well. They will not allow the bolts to fit through them. Looks like someone drilled them by hand and poorly at that. One would think a drill press would have been used to ensure the hole is straight through. Instructions aren't very accurate. The included hardware lists states you need 16 washers but according to the diagrams you actually need 20. They only send you 16.

Ive reached out to the manufacture to see if am missing something or perhaps received a mislabeled or poorly made hitch. I was sent the X7250.
Old thread... but I just gotten around to installing the Ecohitch I bought in 2018 on my 2017 HL and want to share my experience.

Like OP, my spare tire doesn't go all the way up in the undercarriage... it sits at an angle (see pic). But it looks OK and so far doesn't move even when going over bumps.

Also as OP mentioned, the "extra plates" (for extra support) have holes that are a little smaller than the bolt ... ??

I also noticed the instruction manual that comes with it is somewhat different than the online version. So maybe there was some improvement this year.

Last, I should also say that I had a hard time looking for installers at reasonable price. My local PepBoys doesn't do the $50 installation for hitches they don't sell in store. Another PepBoys wanted $165/hr. U-haul said $85/hr but the reservation receipt shows $125/hr x 1.3 hr ? Another installer recommended on TorkLift website asked for $200. I ended up paying $80 to 2 of my car-savvy neighbors who took almost 2 hours because of the stupid bolt mismatch.

·
7,783 Posts
I had the bolt issue as well! But my tire sits fine. While raising the tire up, I just push the tire on the cable when its almost at the hitch bar, I push it inward a bit and the .25 or so inches it clears and it sits flat.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had the bolt issue as well! But my tire sits fine. While raising the tire up, I just push the tire on the cable when its almost at the hitch bar, I push it inward a bit and the .25 or so inches it clears and it sits flat.
Thanks Phil. I tried sitting the spare tire again... I couldn't see how it could sit all the way up. Anyways it's still at an angle, but it's held snugly and I don't think it will be an issue.

As for the bolt issue, I found M10 (10mm) bolts to fit the smaller holes. (The original bolts that come with the package are too big.)

Then I found that now the TOP holes don't line up exactly with the holes on the HL frame! It's off by a tiny bit, but enough to prevent the bolt from going all the way in... Ugh! Quality is lacking indeed!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just want to follow up on this issue on the EcoHitch ... emailed Torklift about the bolt alignment issue and they were very responsive. They sent the new plates which have better quality. But then the 2 lower holes are still smaller than the bolts that came with the hitch. I think the smaller holes are a design change, so I just got smaller bolts at Home Depot. I have installed these plates and it's all good now. The spare tire still sits at a slight angle, but it's not giving me any trouble (so far... touch wood!)

·
7,783 Posts
All I had to do with the spare was to nudge it a inch forward as I cranked it up to its sitting position. I did this to clear the cross bar, but the tire sits nice and snug, and the side wall that curves to the tread is right up against the cross bar with no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts