Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
215 Posts
Be careful changing the sway bar stiffness only on one end of a vehicle, especially without testing. A stiffer rear bar will increase oversteer when pushed to the limit. I doubt anyone is driving a Highlander hard enough to notice this, until they swerve to miss a deer or something - and that's a bad time to learn how the car handles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Be careful changing the sway bar stiffness only on one end of a vehicle, especially without testing. A stiffer rear bar will increase oversteer when pushed to the limit. I doubt anyone is driving a Highlander hard enough to notice this, until they swerve to miss a deer or something - and that's a bad time to learn how the car handles.
Thank you so much for your concern and compassion! That's a great bit of advice and you are correct on all points. it just so happens I am a Time Attack driver. I much prefer an oversteery drive that's stiff and predictable vs the general aloofness the body roll currently gives. I've pushed it around on the track for fun and have no problems giving the beans on the occasional off/on ramp.

I may take a peek underneath to see if maybe i can do some bracing underneath.

:D

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
I put those rubber coil spring boosters on mine and it made a huge improvement on body roll. I place them at the outside of the spring and it works great. I've done this with many cars and over the course of 20 years I've never had any issues. It's a little ghetto for sure, but the results are well worth it to get rid of the terrible body roll.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put those rubber coil spring boosters on mine and it made a huge improvement on body roll. I place them at the outside of the spring and it works great. I've done this with many cars and over the course of 20 years I've never had any issues. It's a little ghetto for sure, but the results are well worth it to get rid of the terrible body roll.
Can you please give a link to what you are talking about. As It is I can't comprehend what the item is.

Hare Krishna!

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Can you please give a link to what you are talking about. As It is I can't comprehend what the item is.

Hare Krishna!
I used these. I got them at a local parts store for ten bucks. I use 2 side by side and mounted to the outer side of each rear spring. I use one on each front spring also mounted on the tire side of the spring. They add a little lift, but they mainly help prevent body roll.
https://www.universalcarlifts.com/product/rubber-coil-spring-boosters-for-heavy-duty-loads/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86rc3-j64QIVnUoNCh2GcQBJEAQYEyABEgIXFfD_BwE

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I haven't seen any aftermarket sway bars for the Highlander.

If not a SE, the strut/springs from the SE can be added to the Limited/base for handling changes.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-highlander-2nd-generation-2008-2013/558114-replacing-rear-fwd-ltd-springs-rear-awd-spt-springs.html

You can use poly bushings to take up all the slack in the suspension:
https://siberianbushing.com/catalog/TOYOTA

And, I believe whiteline has adjustable swaybar endlinks if you want to preload or neutral set them.

I've installed front only, rear only, bar removal, and both aftermarket sway bars on various sedans, trucks, and sports car and NEVER had handling issues. Obviously, driver skill set will vary but OE suspensions are tuned for borderline moron drivers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not a sway bar but after installing my hitch mount from Curt (Type II), I noticed and maybe just in my head but the rear seems a little stiffer. I mean I'm sure it added some rigidity but one thing I love is that people stay away if I have my 11" Curt hitch mount with a ball. I'm thinking of welding up some armor separately so I don't have that 11" (I have a modified trailer so needed the extra length) sticking out (which also doesn't work in touchless car wash lol). I've seen some of these mounts with trailer getting hit or glazed from people driving or parking carelessly. An added peace of mind I suppose...

I do miss being able to tinker around with my WRX :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not a race car driver. But could you explain the benefit of having a stiffer rear? What do you feel differently?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not a race car driver. But could you explain the benefit of having a stiffer rear? What do you feel differently?
Less roll around corners and more responsive handling overall so your car is not rocking sideways. Depending on the upgrades and setup you have, your car would dive less during hard braking or lifting during acceleration with stiffer bushings, etc. But we are talking Highlander here but it won't hurt in terms of better handling either.

·
Registered
09 Highlander 4 cyl
53 Posts
Check out Ultra Racing. They make a bunch of bars. They say its for the 2.7l but I am pretty sure it will fit as a lot of the parts on the highlander are the same from the 2.7 to the 3.5. Do your own research though as I am not responsible for it. I bought the ultra racing suspension bars. Due to a rear collision, one part didn't fit so I'll have to source some aftermarket adjustable control arms.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 HL Limited; 2012 SE
72 Posts
I haven't seen any aftermarket sway bars for the Highlander.

If not a SE, the strut/springs from the SE can be added to the Limited/base for handling changes.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-highlander-2nd-generation-2008-2013/558114-replacing-rear-fwd-ltd-springs-rear-awd-spt-springs.html

You can use poly bushings to take up all the slack in the suspension:
https://siberianbushing.com/catalog/TOYOTA

And, I believe whiteline has adjustable swaybar endlinks if you want to preload or neutral set them.

I've installed front only, rear only, bar removal, and both aftermarket sway bars on various sedans, trucks, and sports car and NEVER had handling issues. Obviously, driver skill set will vary but OE suspensions are tuned for borderline moron drivers.
I have a 2009 Limited awd and just bought a 2012 SE fwd. After driving both of them, it seems that the SE is a much softer ride, bordering on bouncy, with even less steering feel. I assume this is due to the 17" rims with brand new Provider Entrada (cheap) tires that came with it. They have much more sidewall compared to the Limited's 19" tires so I assumed that was the difference. Does the SE really have a different, stiffer suspension than the Limited? If so, the 17" tires are a huge disappointment. I may have to move the 19's to the SE to stiffen the ride a bit.

I also recently bought a 2012 RX-350 fwd. It has a comfortable ride and handles better than both of them.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts