Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there are any other watch lovers on the forum? They don't have to be luxury watches.
My collection has both luxury and every day watches and all in between.

Let's see some pictures. I'll start things off with my Rolex 16623 Yacht-Master in 18k yellow gold and stainless:

Attachments

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a watch lover, but I do own a Rolex Yacht-Master II. :) I know one person here who is certainly a watch lover, and that would be @EKam who owns a few gems.
Nice! I have too many. I've put the brakes on purchases the last few years but I still have my eyes on a few....

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
I have a Seiko Silver Wave LCD that my wife bought me for Xmas in 1981. I’ve worn it every day for the last 38 years. It’s beat to hell but keeps on going. It has a solar panel on it that recharged the battery, but those rechargeable watch batteries haven’t been available for ~20 years.

Does that count?

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Seiko Silver Wave LCD that my wife bought me for Xmas in 1981. I’ve worn it every day for the last 38 years. It’s beat to hell but keeps on going. It has a solar panel on it that recharged the battery, but those rechargeable watch batteries haven’t been available for ~20 years.

Does that count?
Heck yeah that counts! If you have worn that watch for 38 years that's unheard of!! Good job!

·
5,911 Posts
I have 2 curious things for you.

1. When we came to the US, I bought CASIO G-Shock wrist watch. I liked the rough look of it. SO here's the kicker. That was around fall 1993. By the time we moved to our new place here, in December 2015, that watch was still working ON ORIGINAL BATTERY. It was sitting in garage as it made me curious, how long will it actually run on it. I was even thinking of shipping it to CASIo as I think, it's pretty darn good time for that battery. Not sure if I still have it somewhere, possibly, I just have too much stuff all over everywhere six garages to look for it.
2. Hate me. There is no time. As in - physical measurable value. Like magnetism, for example. Electricity. Heat. Light (there is no darkness). No time, no gravity. Time is convenience and gravity based universe is absurd. Do any experiment with multiple object that attract, you'll see it. Absurdity of the concept.

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 2 curious things for you.

1. When we came to the US, I bought CASIO G-Shock wrist watch. I liked the rough look of it. SO here's the kicker. That was around fall 1993. By the time we moved to our new place here, in December 2015, that watch was still working ON ORIGINAL BATTERY. It was sitting in garage as it made me curious, how long will it actually run on it. I was even thinking of shipping it to CASIo as I think, it's pretty darn good time for that battery. Not sure if I still have it somewhere, possibly, I just have too much stuff all over everywhere six garages to look for it.
2. Hate me. There is no time. As in - physical measurable value. Like magnetism, for example. Electricity. Heat. Light (there is no darkness). No time, no gravity. Time is convenience and gravity based universe is absurd. Do any experiment with multiple object that attract, you'll see it. Absurdity of the concept.
That's too deep for me, I just love watches.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
Heck yeah that counts! If you have worn that watch for 38 years that's unheard of!! Good job!
Heres a pic. Watch snobs (not saying you’re one) don’t think much of digital watches, or even quartz watches for that matter. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve replaced the band. I managed to find the correct OEM band for it a few years back on eBay.

The pic doesn’t show the wear and tear very well. The 6 cell panel at the bottom is the solar recharger.

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres a pic. Watch snobs (not saying you’re one) don’t think much of digital watches, or even quartz watches for that matter. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve replaced the band. I managed to find the correct OEM band for it a few years back on eBay.

The pic doesn’t show the wear and tear very well. The 6 cell panel at the bottom is the solar recharger.
That is well worn and the fact the battery is original is amazing.
I like all watches, old, new, manual wind, auto wind, quartz, it doesn't matter.

Here is my daily wear.

Similar to your story, my parents gave me this Seiko automatic for my 16th birthday in 1975. It has been my daily wear ever since.
I have had to replace the plastic crystal several times and of course, bands too. It is no longer water resistant so I have to take it off if I get near water.
It keeps adequate time, about -2 minutes/day. I just reset it each morning.
It have never been opened and never serviced.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
Oh, no. I didn’t mean to imply the battery was the original. Just that I can’t get the rechargeable type it’s supposed to have. So I’ve been substituting with a silver oxide type. Back when I could get the correct Maxell XR9527W battery, they lasted close to 10 years. Now I use a 395 battery, which last about 5 years.

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, no. I didn’t mean to imply the battery was the original. Just that I can’t get the rechargeable type it’s supposed to have. So I’ve been substituting with a silver oxide type. Back when I could get the correct Maxell XR9527W battery, they lasted close to 10 years. Now I use a 395 battery, which last about 5 years.
I thought I read in your original post that it was the original battery. I need to pay more attention. Now I understand but that's still an amazing watch.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Nice! I have too many. I've put the brakes on purchases the last few years but I still have my eyes on a few....
At some point hopefully Dickson (Ekam) will chime in on this thread. He's got a few worthy watches in his collection as I understand it.

I knew this guy a few years back whose father died and he inherited not just his father's house and estate, but in the house was an entire room dedicated to his father's watch collection. He estimated the watches were valued all together at over $800,000. The room had several display cases that constantly rotated the Rolex watches in loops so they'd stay wound. He even had a power backup in case the electrical grid goes down so the watches can keep moving. :lol: That's hard core!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have anything on-topic to add, despite the fact that my Dad's brother was a jeweler, and their dad was one too, and his dad - maybe all the way back to old country... But I am like Chong, and not into time.

The reason I am posting here is that the thread title caught my eye and got me to thinking.

There was this time at work many years ago, when we were stuck in a room where there was a light adult contemporary radio station playing. The station was playing "Turn On Your Heart Light" by Neil Diamond, and this fellow named Earl starts singing along: "Turn On Your Whore Light!"

It cracked me up then, and it's cracking me up now!

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At some point hopefully Dickson (Ekam) will chime in on this thread. He's got a few worthy watches in his collection as I understand it.

I knew this guy a few years back whose father died and he inherited not just his father's house and estate, but in the house was an entire room dedicated to his father's watch collection. He estimated the watches were valued all together at over $800,000. The room had several display cases that constantly rotated the Rolex watches in loops so they'd stay wound. He even had a power backup in case the electrical grid goes down so the watches can keep moving. :lol: That's hard core!
That's hard core indeed. I don't have near that many but I do have several watch winders that keep my automatic watches wound.
I try to wear them in rotation, none are case queens.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Horological. . . That's a $15 an hour kind of word and I'm a $7.50 an hour kinda guy, so let me see if I got this right. Hor. . . hore. . . whore-logic. . . . why yes indeed I am a logical whore lover!

In all seriousness, I've got a G-Shock and I love it. It's not fancy, but it does everything I need. The stop watch function comes in very handy when I'm doing field work and have to time flows. (Don't want to risk getting my phone wet with waste water). Many years back I had a Victorinox Swiss Army watch my dad gave me as a gift and I loved it. At some point it got lost.

·
5,911 Posts
Ah, yeahhh... the wrist bands.... oh the memories of never ending repairs...them little spring loaded rods, yep...always bent at the tip. On my G-Shock rubber band finally tore where they were supposed to go.

Watches are indeed mesmerizing. Especially with case removed. Mechanical, I mean. All those intricate gears, moving this way or that way...
Btw, hey, I can actually add something. I may even find it and and post pic later. gee, totally forgot about it.
I had golden Omega from my grandfather. Likely circa 1920s or early 30s. Was in good working order last time I saw it. Cracked crystal.

·
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ah, yeahhh... the wrist bands.... oh the memories of never ending repairs...them little spring loaded rods, yep...always bent at the tip. On my G-Shock rubber band finally tore where they were supposed to go.

Watches are indeed mesmerizing. Especially with case removed. Mechanical, I mean. All those intricate gears, moving this way or that way...
Btw, hey, I can actually add something. I may even find it and and post pic later. gee, totally forgot about it.
I had golden Omega from my grandfather. Likely circa 1920s or early 30s. Was in good working order last time I saw it. Cracked crystal.
Oh, post that indeed.....here's a picture of my father's Omega, circa 1960's (estimate). It is currently not running and I don't foresee having it repaired. Just costs too much.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
9 Participants
Corrolla clone
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing