Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
My home-made GPS installation

I don't want to buy the aftermarket ebay GPS and my Garmin is so reliable, so I make my own in dash GPS. :D

I bought this kit from Best Buy for $25, it comes with multiple adapters for your GPS, NOT just Garmin. In this case, I'll be using the Garmin adapter for my Nuvi 850. :thumbsup:

Oh, and this DIY is only for the GEN 6 Camry.

This is how I hook up my Garmin's OEM base to the new stand.

Next I make the hole on the rubber carpet, you don't have to, but it looks better in the end. ;)

I told you it'll look good! :naughty:

I added a spliter cause I need another plug for my radar detector, the cable goes thru the little opening on the side of this console, along with my AUX cable. ;)

And now the final result... :D

My GPS is touchless, everything can be controlled by the sound of my voice, including zoom and volume. :D

I have no problem with receiving signal, it's fast and always at full bars, unless I'm in a basement parking.

·
Registered
2011 Camry
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! Nice post! I also have Garmin..I was wondering what i was going to put in that space...no problems with signal?

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
No problem at all. :D

·
Registered
96+07 Camry
667 Posts
looks clean, but its too low imo. i always mount mine under the rearview mirror when i mount mine

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Yea it's kinda low but I don't like to remove it everytime I park. I can just close that box without having to remove it and use it anytime I want without installation. I rarely look at the screen anyway cause it speaks to me. :D

·
Registered
09 Camry
552 Posts
does anyone put a gps suction cup, and install it right in front of your face?

i've had several rental cars, you can see the previous drivers put the gps devices RIGHT in front of your face...why would you do that lol

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
:facepalm:

:lol:

·
Registered
'10 Camry, '99 Sable
326 Posts
I have the bean-bag base for mine and I lay it up on the dash just a little wee bit left of center, aimed at my face.

I like the bean-bag because I can just unplug the power cord and take it completely out of the car for use in my other car or, if on the road, put the whole package in the trunk.

gator1939

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have the garmin bean bag so i can move car to car.. and place it anywhere on the dash eye level .. it's under $20 on amazon shipped.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
GT-R, best idea, ever. Except I didn't cut the rubber mat. It would have crimped my power cord too much.

Glad it worked out for you too, so clean! :D

Did u use the same hardware from best buy? What size is your screen? They look a bit bigger than mine.

I cut my rubber mat because I have an extra one. :lol:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bought the same hardware as you did, but upon opening my gps, I got creative with the window suction cup mount. The plastic beneath the rubber, as you probably know, is smooth. So I saved myself a good 25 bucks.

It's a Nüvi 1300T. 4.3"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts