Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to charge the my battery I clamped to battery terminal then to body then plug into wall outlet. New charger never used. The red like On flashes won't stay lit. So frustrated. Is it a bad charger or am I clamping it wrong any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,679 Posts
Red clamp to positive battery terminal, black clamp to battery negative terminal. My experience with chargers is green light means hookup OK, red light clamps on backwards.

What brand and model is the charger?

Alway attach black - clamp on first, then red +. Disconnect black first.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
Can you post more information about what it is that you are using for a charger?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red clamp to positive battery terminal, black clamp to battery negative terminal. My experience with chargers is green light means hookup OK, red light clamps on backwards.

What brand and model is the charger?

Alway attach black - clamp on first, then red +. Disconnect black first.
Yes I did that the red light is supposed to stay solid but all it does is flashes on then goes off. The brand is a cen-tech. I know now it's not the best but I had bought it some time ago but never needed t o use it until now tried their number due to civic their not taking calls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I did that the red light is supposed to stay solid but all it does is flashes on then goes off. The brand is a cen-tech. I know now it's not the best but I had bought it some time ago but never needed t o use it until now tried their number due to covid their not taking calls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I hear the click when I plug it in the red light flashes won't stay on just flashes goes out. The needle doesn't move I read the manual before trying it.I am guessing it's the charger😢 I cleaned the terminals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I don't i am just frustrated at this point of the day after reading about the charger I have seen some just don't work.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,679 Posts
I'm wondering if it might be best to take the battery to a parts store, like Advance or Auto Zone. They should charge the battery for free and do a proper test, although they do want to sell you a new battery.

Watch the test and ask questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm wondering if it might be best to take the battery to a parts store, like Advance or Auto Zone. They should charge the battery for free and do a proper test, although they do want to sell you a new battery.

Watch the test and ask questions.
I had my daughter drive it to parts store. They said there was a little charge left they would charge it takes 2 hours she picked it up they told her that it has little juice I need new battery. I found my battery receipt and of course didn't realize I had warranty left just went from free to 40% I will have to wait until Monday the 4 places that sell replacements near me are closed its Sunday. May I ask you another question. Since my car has been sitting a long time after I get replacement battery. Will it be okay just to try to start my car or do I need to drain anything first. I have limited funds and want to do as much as possible to my car myself if I can. With the help of this board I have learned how to change my oil and flush radiator with your help trouble shoot issues.You have been so helpful. I hope I didn't hurt my car letting it sit to long.
Thank you

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
968 Posts
I don't think so Colleen, if it has only been sitting a few months.

You may want to consider an Oil and Filter change service: if the OCI interval (since last service) is close to being due. ... But that's not critical, or required for getting the vehicle back on the road.

Best advice I can offer is to carefully check / observe -all- fluid levels ( oil, coolant in overflow tank, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid level ) -before- starting any vehicle after sitting for any length of time. (This applies to all vehicles, not just Toyota.) Note any low fluid levels: top-off as needed w/ correct fluid, and you're good-to-go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's been more than a few months I am ashamed I let my car sit so long. It's in a closed garage. I have checked the levels everything looks good thank you. Didn't know if I needed to wait for New battery to change oil. Or I could change it today then try to start her up tomorrow.Thank you

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,679 Posts
Keeping the battery charged with a trickle charger (your's may also have this feature) will increase the battery life a lot. If you don't have a plug-in then a solar charger would work. You could mount the solar panel on the dash in the sun.

I suspect the long time between battery use sulfated the plates and shortened it's life.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
A battery tender is an ideal thing to use when a car will be sitting for more than a week or so, to prevent just this very thing. Most didn't think about it when the COVID hit, and since it lasted a couple of months I bet the battery stores are getting some additional business right now because of it.

The other thing besides battery drain, on a car that has been sitting for several months, is brake rotor rust. This is normal (as long as it has not gotten too bad). In a garage there often isn't any at all, but parked outside can accumulate until the car actually will feel "stuck" when moved for the first time. If there is any pulsing in the brake pedal when first driving it, try to "drag" the brakes a little bit (while driving slowly) to use the calipers to scrape the rust off. In most cases, anything like rotor rust will wear off after a 100 miles or so. In the worst case, the pulsing might remain and rotors need turning to eliminate the annoying pulsing but that usually would take months and months of outside parking to get that bad.

Rodent damage to wiring is one other concern with a long time parked car, but if under the hood there is no sign of nest building then you are fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keeping the battery charged with a trickle charger (your's may also have this feature) will increase the battery life a lot. If you don't have a plug-in then a solar charger would work. You could mount the solar panel on the dash in the sun.

I suspect the long time between battery use sulfated the plates and shortened it's life.
Thank you. I researched what could be wrong with battery that was one possibility. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A battery tender is an ideal thing to use when a car will be sitting for more than a week or so, to prevent just this very thing. Most didn't think about it when the COVID hit, and since it lasted a couple of months I bet the battery stores are getting some additional business right now because of it.

The other thing besides battery drain, on a car that has been sitting for several months, is brake rotor rust. This is normal (as long as it has not gotten too bad). In a garage there often isn't any at all, but parked outside can accumulate until the car actually will feel "stuck" when moved for the first time. If there is any pulsing in the brake pedal when first driving it, try to "drag" the brakes a little bit (while driving slowly) to use the calipers to scrape the rust off. In most cases, anything like rotor rust will wear off after a 100 miles or so. In the worst case, the pulsing might remain and rotors need turning to eliminate the annoying pulsing but that usually would take months and months of outside parking to get that bad.

Rodent damage to wiring is one other concern with a long time parked car, but if under the hood there is no sign of nest building then you are fine.
Wow thank you no apparent rodent signs. My garage is sealed up pretty good for that reason. I hadn't thought about the brakes. Thank you for the tips and what to look for your help is invaluable.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
968 Posts
It's been more than a few months I am ashamed I let my car sit so long. It's in a closed garage. I have checked the levels everything looks good thank you. Didn't know if I needed to wait for New battery to change oil. Or I could change it today then try to start her up tomorrow.Thank you
Since it's been sitting in an enclosed garage: I wouldn't worry about the oil at this time, and just run it for the remainder of the OCI interval, if here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts