Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This anti theft system has been advertised in several car magazines. It sure sounds impressive with its claim never having been defeated. Has anyone had it installed in their 2007 Camry's? Sure would appreciate some info regarding cost, installation difficulty, pros and cons(if any)of the system etc compared to others. Thank you.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
V6 LVR said:
This anti theft system has been advertised in several car magazines. It sure sounds impressive with its claim never having been defeated. Has anyone had it installed in their 2007 Camry's? Sure would appreciate some info regarding cost, installation difficulty, pros and cons(if any)of the system etc compared to others. Thank you.
I just had the Ravelco NoHotWire.com installed on my 07 LE I4 last week. Cost $399 + tax for the whole thing intalled. I filled out the form on the web, they called me to set up an appointment to install it anywhere my choice. I chose Starbucks because I work from home but don't want strangers come to my house. The install took 2 hours. Professional and clean installed. They will install the cap snap on (look at the web site you'll know what I meant by cap snap on, your car will not start without this snap on) anywhere you want them to. I like it a lot knowing that my car will be there whereever I parked when I come back.

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
lammydi said:
I just had the Ravelco NoHotWire.com installed on my 07 LE I4 last week. Cost $399 + tax for the whole thing intalled. I filled out the form on the web, they called me to set up an appointment to install it anywhere my choice. I chose Starbucks because I work from home but don't want strangers come to my house. The install took 2 hours. Professional and clean installed. They will install the cap snap on (look at the web site you'll know what I meant by cap snap on, your car will not start without this snap on) anywhere you want them to. I like it a lot knowing that my car will be there whereever I parked when I come back.
What happens if your car is towed away?

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
akira751 said:
What happens if your car is towed away?
If the thieft use a tow truck then nothing you can do about it. There is no anti-theft device can prevent that. The car will not start until:
a) a cap is plug back into the unit.
b) The thieft has to manually try to figure out which wire is HOT to start your car (That will take hours even for the pro)
They will dismantle your car in such a short time that by the time the poice find it it will be nothing left. So even LoJack won't doing anything here.
But keep in mind LoJack is a reactive way to deterent the thieft (got your car back after the fact). This Ravelco NoHotWire is a proactive way to prevent thieft.
That's my 2 cents.

·
aka: DaCubanSkillz
2007 Toyota Camry
119 Posts
If you lose that plug and have the spare at home, you are SOL if you can't get someone to bring it to you. its not like you would carry both plugs with you all the time. Unless there is a way to bypass the system in case you are far from home or can't get to the spare plug, i don't see myself spending 400.00 on it. At least with car alarms, you can bypass it one way or another.

·
Registered
Camry SE
167 Posts
pretty much if you dont want your car stolen dont buy a car. Only thing anti-theft systems do is make things harder for a thief or prevent dumbass's tryin to take your car like kids. I would recommend nohotwire or lojack but keep in mind if someone really wants your car they will take it, exspecially if its a professional.

Lammydi did you watch the guy install it? just curious. Im a person that likes to see whats going on. Kinda dont like ppl takin stuff apart in my car even if its a pro still want to watch heh.

·
aka: DaCubanSkillz
2007 Toyota Camry
119 Posts
lammydi said:
If the thieft use a tow truck then nothing you can do about it. There is no anti-theft device can prevent that.
Its not common but there is a way to prevent your car from being towed. i've seen luxury cars with an alarm that will make the car bounce (just enough bounce) if it were to be tilted in some way. I dont' think a tow truck or flat bed will risk having the car fall off or even damage the truck cause of this.

but yea, its out there..just not as common.

And as far as LoJack. I've learned my lesson with that. I had it on my 2000 Corolla. The Corolla was stolen and it was stripped, damaged, etc. I got my car back minus everything that was inside. Only good thing that cam e out of this was that the insurance paid for everything that was removed from the car (neons, bass tube, amps, radio, etc). If it was bolted down, it was paid for. AND the guys who stole my car were caught inside the car and were arrested. They also had warrents for their arrest so they were locked up for a while. Oh and the car was found in 5 hours cause of LoJack.

now I feel that if they're gonna steal the car, then steal it. I dont' want it back cause its not the same when you get it back.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is there a need for an Alarm, since 07s come with a atandard engine immobilizer? Unless the car thief has YOUR keys or the factory code specific to your car, the car can't start, no? Unless they were to tow it away?

·
Registered
Camry SE
167 Posts
true. My friends RSX was cleaned out. They cut out his back window and his driver side window with glass cutters crazy shit. Funny part is they stole the sound system and put everything back in its place minus the windows they sat near his front door. It was done so cleanly it pissed him off so much. He just said why didnt they just take the fuckin car lol.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I don't park anywhere, that I would be that concerned about it to spend $400 on top of the factory system.

If you live somewhere like that, save the $400 and move. :smokin:

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
wireless said:
I don't park anywhere, that I would be that concerned about it to spend $400 on top of the factory system.

If you live somewhere like that, save the $400 and move. :smokin:
I live in San Diego. It's a very nice neighborhood. However, most cars got stolen are NOT from where you live. It happens in the shopping mall parking structures, school parking lot, carpool parking lot. My co-worker got his car stolen at 7:30am when we met for a business meeting at Starbucks in San Diego. We were there for only 20 minutes...but I guess that was long enough for them to took the car. What amaze me was there were a lot of people come in and out of Starbucks but I guess everyone was minding their own business. So I don't think moving will solve the problem. I just do everything I can then just let it be.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
greycam07 said:
pretty much if you dont want your car stolen dont buy a car. Only thing anti-theft systems do is make things harder for a thief or prevent dumbass's tryin to take your car like kids. I would recommend nohotwire or lojack but keep in mind if someone really wants your car they will take it, exspecially if its a professional.

Lammydi did you watch the guy install it? just curious. Im a person that likes to see whats going on. Kinda dont like ppl takin stuff apart in my car even if its a pro still want to watch heh.
Yes, I did watch the guy install it. I understood the basic of what he was doing but have no clue how he installed it :ugh3: I agreed with you. I have to see what's going on to make sure everything he does is to the exact of my expectation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lammydi said:
Yes, I did watch the guy install it. I understood the basic of what he was doing but have no clue how he installed it :ugh3: I agreed with you. I have to see what's going on to make sure everything he does is to the exact of my expectation.
Lammydi,
Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.Some here feel that if they want your car there is no stopping them. But I bet that most thiefs will go elsewhere when the job becomes too time consuming. They know time is crucial and will probably give up soon and go after easier pickings.Were you able to find out from the installer if the stock immobilizer is still effective when the nohotwire unit is installed. In other words-do you now have 2 anti theft systems on the car, or does nohotwire installations replace the stock immobilizer? Also can you pick a particular hidden
location for the cap, maybe out of sight? Do they also recommend putting on a sticker:protected by nohotwire etc to deter theft?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
lammydi said:
I live in San Diego. It's a very nice neighborhood. However, most cars got stolen are NOT from where you live. It happens in the shopping mall parking structures, school parking lot, carpool parking lot. My co-worker got his car stolen at 7:30am when we met for a business meeting at Starbucks in San Diego. We were there for only 20 minutes...but I guess that was long enough for them to took the car. What amaze me was there were a lot of people come in and out of Starbucks but I guess everyone was minding their own business. So I don't think moving will solve the problem. I just do everything I can then just let it be.
Well, I do my part by not making my car 'bling-tastic'

Who want's a stock looking Camry when I am surrounded by BMW, MB, and other enticing cars. :D

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
V6 LVR said:
Lammydi,
Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.Some here feel that if they want your car there is no stopping them. But I bet that most thiefs will go elsewhere when the job becomes too time consuming. They know time is crucial and will probably give up soon and go after easier pickings.Were you able to find out from the installer if the stock immobilizer is still effective when the nohotwire unit is installed. In other words-do you now have 2 anti theft systems on the car, or does nohotwire installations replace the stock immobilizer? Also can you pick a particular hidden
location for the cap, maybe out of sight? Do they also recommend putting on a sticker:protected by nohotwire etc to deter theft?
V6 LVR,
My stock immobilizer + Viper Alarm + Nohotwire are working together. :whatwhat:
Yes, you can pick the location of anywhere (even hidden in the middle compartment.
But I choose under the "Mirror Switch" for 2 reasons: Easy access (glad I did that) for me and let the thief know I have Nohotwire to deter them.
As far as putting on a sticker. I had it on for 1 minute then I took it off because it looks cheesy. The same reason I did not put on my Viper alarm sticker.
Hope that help...
Lammydi

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
wireless said:
Well, I do my part by not making my car 'bling-tastic'

Who want's a stock looking Camry when I am surrounded by BMW, MB, and other enticing cars. :D
My coworker's car was a 2004 Honda Accord as stock as you can be. No bling as all.
Still stolen. The reason it was stolen because Accord and Camry are such high demand for parts out there!!! I think more Accord and Camry are being stolen than BMW, MB, Lexus because so many Camry and Accord driving around in our world.
So wheter you are Stock or Bling, if you driving a high demand parts cars like Camry and Accord .....you are the target! Sad but true.
Anyway, I just do my best to protect the car then move on to enjoy my car. Please do the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
drjames said:
Is there a need for an Alarm, since 07s come with a atandard engine immobilizer? Unless the car thief has YOUR keys or the factory code specific to your car, the car can't start, no? Unless they were to tow it away?
Read the FAQ's on the nohotwire.com site. They clam that the engine immobilzer can be bypassed .. quite easily actually. :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the Ravelco in my 2004 Camry. No moving parts, no batteries, nothing but a plug and a cap that has to be on the plug for the car to run. They say it can't be defeated but so far I've haven't needed it so I can't say. There's a small discount on insurance that over the life of the car will more than pay off the $375 it cost.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,265 Posts
Explicitstylz96 said:
. I dont' want it back cause its not the same when you get it back.
was it damaged when u got it back. How was it not ever the same?

·
Registered
508 Posts
astrokat said:
Read the FAQ's on the nohotwire.com site. They clam that the engine immobilzer can be bypassed .. quite easily actually. :eek:
Thanks, I did look it up on their site. But, in all honesty, what are they supposed to say? Maybe, "If you have an engine immobilizer, then our product is useless."? lol. the link they provided is also inactive.

That said, I am aware of bypass modules available, they are used for such applications as remote starters..., but as far as I know, without the coded key, the car's computer will not allow it to be driven away, just started. My insurrance company also told me not to bother installing any aftermarket alarms on any of my three vehicles (Camry SE, Boxter S, RX),.. you'd think they would have told me about things like this.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts