Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had the idea of making a sleeper and I noticed that 2nd gen Camry's are relatively cheap for what they have and aside from small performance parts I haven't seen and engine modifications. I've heard you can pull parts from other cars like the headers from the 86-89 Celica but I really don't know the reliability of such a claim. (No engine swap soon and the only other engine I've thought about is either the 3s-gte or the 22r). thank you ahead of time want to make this project car at least break into the 200's without a turbo but that in itself is pretty hard and this is a pretty big thing for me so once again thank you ahead of time!!!

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
You'll have a very big challenge to get a 3s-fe anywhere close to 200hp without forced induction. The head just isn't designed for that. You'll be spending motor swap time/money, at least...

The auto trans will also kill performance. A 4-cylinder manual (115hp) is about as fast as a V6 auto (155hp), for reference.

I say this as somebody with a ~240whp '89 Camry...

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll have a very big challenge to get a 3s-fe anywhere close to 200hp without forced induction. The head just isn't designed for that. You'll be spending motor swap time/money, at least...

The auto trans will also kill performance. A 4-cylinder manual (115hp) is about as fast as a V6 auto (155hp), for reference.

-

-Charlie
I have been looking for forced induction it's just I haven't been able to find a kit so ill have to do the pipes and welding by myself this just makes the process harder but worth it. Any ideas on what turbo would fit best?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
I have been looking for forced induction it's just I haven't been able to find a kit so ill have to do the pipes and welding by myself this just makes the process harder but worth it. Any ideas on what turbo would fit best?
Fit best? Probably the OEM manifold/turbo/downpipe for a 3s-gte (2nd gen). It won't be the most efficient though - that's 35+ year old tech at this point. You can also buy a header flange and turbo flange and build your own pipes to pick a modern turbo. You can also find an aftermarket 3s-gte manifold with the flange for your turbo of choice.

There will be nothing fully bolt-on, but the 'best' plant is highly dependent on your skillset, budget and goals.

Remember you will also have to have a tuning solution. Anything from an AFC piggyback to a full standalone, depending on goals and needs. Then you have to figure out the fuel system, intercooler, etc. A well setup system can likely be pretty reliable even up to ~10psi or above - but you have to do your own research. The 3s-fe engine is very similar to all the other "S" engines from Toyota and cross referencing what others do (Celica, MR2, etc.) will help you along your way.

-Charlie

Reactions: Rdrcr
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.