Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need new tires for my corolla, i have BFG that have 73,000 on them looking to buy another 4. Does anyone know how often BFG does promos? They have one now but expires before i can buy.

Also i have seen people say that places like Costco has cheaper prices on tires because the tires they sell have less plys is there any true to that?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,853 Posts
BFG does run sales and promos. Usually it's like $70 off the set. Costco does offer this as well.

I have owned BFG before. They are decent, but I prefer to use all season. Try not to up size on the tires as it will or could throw off your mpg and speedometer.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Costco does not sell low quality tires. That is a lie. They are the same brand name tires as sold elsewhere. Everything at Costco has low prices, for a variety of reasons, including the yearly membership fee that you have to pay.

I believe that Costco sells Bridgestone and Michelin tires only (but not 100% sure). Up until Sept 1, 2019 they are offering $70 off on a set of 4 Bridgestone. Then starting Sept 4th, 2019 they offer $70 off on a set of 4 Michelin tires. They alter back and forth between the two brands on the $70 discount.

However, I believe that BF Goodrich is now owned by Michelin, so not sure if they sell BFG or have the same tire branded as a Michelin. Call or visit them to discuss and get a quote.

Costco includes free rotations every 7500 miles which extends the life of your tires. However, they will be busy today and tomorrow, so you many have a hard time getting the discount on Bridgestone before the sale ends on Sunday.

BTW, if you look at the parking lot of a Costco, you will see more high end cars belonging to their customers than at any other similar type store. Lots of MB, BMW, Lexus, Acura, Tesla. Costco does not sell junk.

Aside from Costco Tires, I recommend Discount Tires. They can get just about any brand and model of tire, but it may take a few days if they have to order it from the warehouse.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
898 Posts
Invest in a good set of TOYO Proxes R1R, handling on your car and your own life depend on them this cars are extremely reliable why not put some good tires?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,600 Posts
need new tires for my corolla, i have BFG that have 73,000 on them looking to buy another 4. Does anyone know how often BFG does promos? They have one now but expires before i can buy.

Also i have seen people say that places like Costco has cheaper prices on tires because the tires they sell have less plys is there any true to that?
First of all, what size tires do you have now? Where do you live? Do you deal with winter driving conditions? Do you want tires that will provide better steering and braking? Remember that tires are the only thing connecting the car to the road so don't underestimate their importance.

I find the best place to buy tires is at Discount Tire. They beat everyones prices and have the best selection. You can go to your local store or online at Discount Tire Direct. They have a big sale every holiday so this weekend is one with the next one on Black Friday weekend.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,600 Posts
Try not to up size on the tires as it will or could throw off your mpg and speedometer.
Not completely accurate. The key to upsizing is buying the proper tire size and keep the diameter the same. Here are tire sizes that all work well for our Corollas.

195/65R15 25.0" diameter
195/60R16 25.2"
205/55R16 24.9"
225/50R16 25.0"
205/50R17 25.1"
225/45R17 25.0"
245/40R17 25.0"
225/40R18 25.1"

As you can see there are a lot of choices that fall in the sweet spot for tire diameter that will keep the speedometer close.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
As you can see there are a lot of choices that fall in the sweet spot for tire diameter that will keep the speedometer close.
Correct. But for the 40 aspect ratio tire sizes, be prepared to have your tires and rims ruined by pot holes that would not bother the OEM sizes, and also be prepared to have back surgery later in life (or sooner if you are already middle age or older).

But on the plus side, the 40 aspect ratio tires "may" be a chick magnet for certain kinds of chicks (but equally repulsive to others).

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,600 Posts
Correct. But for the 40 aspect ratio tire sizes, be prepared to have your tires and rims ruined by pot holes that would not bother the OEM sizes, and also be prepared to have back surgery later in life (or sooner if you are already middle age or older).

But on the plus side, the 40 aspect ratio tires "may" be a chick magnet for certain kinds of chicks (but equally repulsive to others).
Yes, but I was replying to the fact that plus sizing would throw off the speedometer. I was just listing plus sizes that would keep it accurate. I don't personally like the 18" wheels option with 225/40R18. I have read car reviews with this combination though that reviewers said the ride was fine with the combination. I have 17" wheels with 225/45R17 tires and when I first upgraded from the OEM 205/55R16 tire/wheel package and I didn't notice any difference in the ride. This is when buying the right tire can make all the difference. A 225/45R17 tire can have a better ride than a 205/55R16 tire as all tires are not created I've been running the 225/45R17 tires for 10 years and I've never had an issue with a pothole damaging a wheel or tire on my 09 Corolla S Turbo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got General Exclaim HPX about a year and a half ago and I couldn't be happier with them. They're grippy for a cheap tire ($415 installed, at Walmart) and look real nice. They do make some squeals and such when you're driving on a concrete parking lot but that doesn't bother me.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,600 Posts
I got General Exclaim HPX about a year and a half ago and I couldn't be happier with them. They're grippy for a cheap tire ($415 installed, at Walmart) and look real nice. They do make some squeals and such when you're driving on a concrete parking lot but that doesn't bother me.
I had a set of the previous version, the General Exclaim UHP and they were a fantastic tire. Handled great, quiet, and lasted a long time.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,394 Posts
For my 08 Camry, I'm thinking about Continental Pure Contact as my next set of tires for my steelies (16") and whenever I get wheels (18"). They seem to get good reviews on Tirerack and their price is not too bad. I live in Wisconsin so I rather not have Summer only tires.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
For my 08 Camry, I'm thinking about Continental Pure Contact as my next set of tires for my steelies (16") and whenever I get wheels (18"). They seem to get good reviews on Tirerack and their price is not too bad. I live in Wisconsin so I rather not have Summer only tires.
One thing I have heard about those is that they loose their grip when tread is halfway worn, quite a bit worse than other tires (all tires are somewhat worse about half worn). I don't know if that is still true or whether they have improved their tread compound recently. These kind of things don't always show up in reviews.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
One thing I have heard about those is that they loose their grip when tread is halfway worn, quite a bit worse than other tires (all tires are somewhat worse about half worn). I don't know if that is still true or whether they have improved their tread compound recently. These kind of things don't always show up in reviews.
Good to know. I do believe the Pure Contact LS may not have that issue as there is also the standard Pure Contact that I think is not longer for sale or is a clearance item. I sure hope those are it... Whatever was OEM was gone at 25,000 miles, the Ecopia's were great and I did see an increase in MPG but my driving habits may be a bit too aggressive for it, currently got the BFG Advantage T/A (I think) and they work... but I sorta lost my trust in them when I was driving up north and it started snowing and I started losing grip... along with some instances spinning the wheels when pulling away from a stop light in the wet...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 205/55R16 BFG Advantage now. Longest lasting tired that i have every had. I need all seasons. Only trouble i have with the BFG is i do not think they stick to the road when it's wet.

The original tires only lasted 41,000, They where goodyears. I bought them again and got another 41,000. The BFG have lasted twice as long.

I ask about costco since someone said the tires are cheaper and have less ply to get the price down maybe it is different with truck tires.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I have 205/55R16 BFG Advantage now. Longest lasting tired that i have every had. I need all seasons. Only trouble i have with the BFG is i do not think they stick to the road when it's wet.

The original tires only lasted 41,000, They where goodyears. I bought them again and got another 41,000. The BFG have lasted twice as long.

I ask about costco since someone said the tires are cheaper and have less ply to get the price down maybe it is different with truck tires.
I would only really consider Costco or Sam's Club to be cheaper if the Tire names are completely different from the what a tire store would have. If they are the same names, then I doubt there is gonna be any big difference between the two because I would think making two models of the same tire but having one tire slight weaker would cost more than just making two tires.
  • Costo
    • BFG BEST TIRE
  • Tire Shop
    • BFT Advantage T/A

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,600 Posts

I don't ever rate a tire on only the tire life. That helps deciding between different tires but the most important things are wet and dry braking, handling and ride. Why do you need an A/S tire? Where do you live? If you live in a cold weather area invest in some winter tires and you can get a better quality A/S tire that will perform better in wet and dry conditions.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,600 Posts
I would only really consider Costco or Sam's Club to be cheaper if the Tire names are completely different from the what a tire store would have. If they are the same names, then I doubt there is gonna be any big difference between the two because I would think making two models of the same tire but having one tire slight weaker would cost more than just making two tires.
  • Costo
    • BFG BEST TIRE
  • Tire Shop
    • BFT Advantage T/A
Discount Tire will always have a better price than either Costco or Sam's Club.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts