1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thapranksta said:
shouldn't you ask that question in the Avalon forum?

ToyotaNation Avalon Forum
Nah,I don't own one.
Nor do I have the trans problem.
Also don't want to start a thread and have pimpin-ti going wild there too.:)
Just wondering why there's no talk of Avalon problems.
I've read a few Lexus ES 350's have had issues but no Avalons.
No problems on the first couple of pages of the
Avalon forum.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
The Avalon doesnt have the new 6-speed auto

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JSM1284 said:
The Avalon doesnt have the new 6-speed auto

I didn't know that.
I assumed they did.
.:) .

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
Thats why we are here, To help.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
Didn't the last Avalon come out in '05?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JSM1284 said:
Thats why we are here, To help.
:thumbup: :chug:

The 6 speed trans will probably be used in the Avalon soon.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
thapranksta said:
Didn't the last Avalon come out in '05?
Yes, The current design came out in 05. If body design is what you were refering to.

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
I was talking about when they last redesigned it. That problem appears to be an issue with Toyota cars that were redesigned for 2007. And yeah I looked it up. The latest Avalon design was made for 2005. When they redesign, they will no doubt upgrade the tranny but until then.......

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
JSM1284 said:
Yes, The current design came out in 05. If body design is what you were refering to.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I figure what's under the hood usually gets changed along with the body.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Joe B said:
'07 Avalon.
5-speed shiftable automatic transmission
How is it still rated at 22 mpg / 31 mpg with a 5 speed trans and it being heavier than the Camry?

thats what ive been wondering since i got my camry:confused: and the 0-60 is 6 seconds flat. the our camry's with the same 3.5L is 6.1 seconds

·
Registered
451 Posts
What's reeeeeeal intersting to me....

There can't be that much of a difference between the 5-speed case and the 6-speed case, it's even bolted to the SAME 3.5 V6 VVTi.

Why did Toyota release a "groundbreaking" 6-speed transmission in the Camry and NOT the Avalon?????

Things that make you go, hmmmmmm?

I got two reasons....

1. The Clamry outsells the Avalon (Abalone), no? If so, could be an "economies of scale" type thing for breaking in new tech.... Kinda like, "lets PO our lowly customers who won't pony up an extra 5000 GWs, CAUSE WE GOT A LOT MORE OF THEM!" Think about it a lil bit...

a... better ratios - sell more Clamrys than Avalons w/V6 and it takes a larger number to affect the "failure rate." All Avalons are V6 (see point c...)

b... less cost w/ more sold

c... less fallout... the Avalon has a niche, so does the Clamry... Difference being... There's prolly 8 I4s sold to every V6... As a "whole" the Clamry does "quite well" among the "faithfull."

2. Clamry = Extra-Slippage (ES)350

·
Registered
508 Posts
onsknht said:
What's reeeeeeal intersting to me....

There can't be that much of a difference between the 5-speed case and the 6-speed case, it's even bolted to the SAME 3.5 V6 VVTi.

Why did Toyota release a "groundbreaking" 6-speed transmission in the Camry and NOT the Avalon?????
Interesting theories onsknht, but probably because of the simple reason that the 6A tranny hadn't been developed yet when the Avalon went into production.

·
Registered
451 Posts
drjames said:
Interesting theories onsknht, but probably because of the simple reason that the 6A tranny hadn't been developed yet when the Avalon went into production.
They do offer a 2007 Avalon?

For a big company like Toyota (who builds cars from the ground up) I'da thunk it woulda been a no brainer to come up with a "new and improved version." Like I said, size-wize and everything else, the 5-speed is bolted to the same engine as the 6-speed, so I doubt a new chassis would be needed... And to add insult to injury, it appears the 5-speed has better performance/economy???

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
How often does a tranny get changed (except for fixing mechanical issues) when the body style is still the same? Why would Toyota upgrade the transmission 2 years after they started production of the Avalon with the current 5 speed transmission? I'm willing to bet that when the Avalon gets redesigned, they will upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed just for you onsknht. :D

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lalojamesliz said:
Joe B said:
'07 Avalon.
5-speed shiftable automatic transmission
How is it still rated at 22 mpg / 31 mpg with a 5 speed trans and it being heavier than the Camry?

thats what ive been wondering since i got my camry:confused: and the 0-60 is 6 seconds flat. the our camry's with the same 3.5L is 6.1 seconds
Anyone?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
The avalon is tuned differently. Maybe they will offer the 8-speed in the new Avalon like they did with the LS460?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
JSM1284 said:
The avalon is tuned differently. Maybe they will offer the 8-speed in the new Avalon like they did with the LS460?

I don't know about that.
That 8 speed trans has to be an expensive piece of machinery.
Plus it looks more like a rare piece of workmanship exclusively in the Toyota flagship model.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts