Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found Weathertech and AVS have ventvisor/rainguard/deflector products for Venza. But the former is almost 3 times the price of AVS. I am wondering if any has installed those products for Venza themselves. If yes, please comment on the value, the quality and the ease of installation of the products. Or any other products to suggest. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Me too....

I haven't seen a Venza with a vent visor yet. I have already gone to 3 dealerships and they all DO NOT recommend it. They are saying that it affects the automatic windows and eventually will warp the inner rubber seals and will cause wind noise. I have read somewhere here that someone said that it actually eliminated wind noise. I don't know what or who to believe. The dealerships I've been to said that I can order the vent visor and install it myself because they don't want to be liable. My big question is, if Toyota makes it, why would it be a problem?

Anyone? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've found Weathertech and AVS have ventvisor/rainguard/deflector products for Venza. But the former is almost 3 times the price of AVS. I am wondering if any has installed those products for Venza themselves. If yes, please comment on the value, the quality and the ease of installation of the products. Or any other products to suggest. Thanks!
Hi BBTing,
I had the dealer install AVS stick on vent visors on my Venza.
I had Weathertech stick on's on 2 prev. trucks with very little problem installing them.
With the heat here in Florida , I had to retape them every 2-3 years.
But the stick on are pretty easy to install , take your time on the placement , and don't wash for 2 days to make sure they stick.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi all,
I noticed that before vent visor install , with the back windows down , I was hearing a humming noise ( I think all Venza's do ).
After the vent visors there is no niose.
Some members have the in channel vent visor , but I'm not sure if they interfere with the power windows or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed the window vents from WeatherTech - very easy to install. When I first put them on, the automatic up power window did not work properly, but after slowly putting the window up a few times and "seating" the visors into the channel a little better, they work fine now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Am I right that the Weathertech in-channel Ventvisors do not need tape to install while AVS uses tapes ? How secure is each type of these install methods ? Which is more durable and more maintenance-free (eg require re-tape every now and then). Is the Weathertech worth the 3 times more price than AVS ?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
as I recall one of the members indicated that the weathertech in-channel set are for front windows only and the rear windows still need the tape...... maybe someone can verify this.....

·
New Venza owner
42 Posts
as I recall one of the members indicated that the weathertech in-channel set are for front windows only and the rear windows still need the tape...... maybe someone can verify this.....
The web site indicates explicitly that "no exterior tape needed". The promo video and instructions appear to indicate the same. The instructions leave open that the rear set may have an adhesive on the deflectors themselves. Since I just took a trip in heavy rain and was pelted when I just cracked the window a bit I'm planning to order a set of these soon and can report back once they arrive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually the rear window visors come with tape pre-affixed, but they still go inside the channels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Weather tech rear deflectors use tape

That was me...while they go inside the channel, they still use tape...I returned my rear set...they fell out even after 24 hours of "seeding"...

The front ones work fine to me and require no tape.

Good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed the window vents from WeatherTech - very easy to install. When I first put them on, the automatic up power window did not work properly, but after slowly putting the window up a few times and "seating" the visors into the channel a little better, they work fine now.
This sounds very typical of a few installs I ahve done on my previous vehicles. WeatherTechs are the best. They stay in the front without tape because there are three sides that are installed inside the window track. You have to bend them just right to get them in. You can also take them out. I do not have any on my Venza and I will not based on the experience I had with the RAV I had last year. I believe I had more wind noise after installing them but I am just not certain because I only had it about a week when I installed them. It might have just been the RAV was noisey anyway. One in the back fell out and got run over before I could get turned around to get it one day. That might have been because I installed them in freezing temperatures. Maybe the sticky tape didn't set up just right.

Any WeatherTechs I ever saw looked great. They look like they were made for the vehicle they are on with a nice low profile. The stick-ons,... well, they are stick-on.

Randy

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the weather techs and the front ones are great but the rear ones would not stay in place. After several calls to weathertech (which has an excellent customer service department)and several options they asked me to try, along with a free replacement set, I was refunded for the rear set since none of the rear visor would stay in place. The reply I received from them is that this issue has been turned over to the quality control department for further test and evaluation. Probably just a flaw due to a brand new design. The front ones alone look fine. As a matter of fact I would prefer to have only the front weathertechs than the stick on visors on all fours. The "techs" have a more sleek and factory appearance, where the stick ons protrude noticeable further from the sides of the vehicle, and in my opinion are functional but not much on looks. Please, no offense to anyone who has the stick ons, this is just simply my opinion.

·
New Venza owner
42 Posts
Just installed mine, both front and back. The front was very simple and after a few opening/closing cycles even the auto functions works fine. The back were another issue. Definitely more problematic with the basic install (had to force the windows shut) and last I checked one was still blocking the window from closing without forcing. Given they say it may take 12/24 hours for the seating to take I'll just wait for now.

Given all that, the whole process took about 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SUGGESTION: whoever has experienced the rear window install problems with the weathertech ventvisors should contact their customer service department. The more this issue is reported may help their research & development department come up with a solution to the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No tape for Weathertech Deflectors ?

Hi Kennyd,

How are your deflectors after using them for a while now? I am a bit reserved installing the rear Weathertech now after so many bad comments. Can you also comment on the wind noise after installation ? I myself find Venza has quite a bit wind noise on highway and would hope the deflector helps eliminate some.

Thanks all for the inputs,
BBTing

·
New Venza owner
42 Posts
Hi Kennyd,

How are your deflectors after using them for a while now? I am a bit reserved installing the rear Weathertech now after so many bad comments. Can you also comment on the wind noise after installation ? I myself find Venza has quite a bit wind noise on highway and would hope the deflector helps eliminate some.

Thanks all for the inputs,
BBTing
They all seem fine now. The installation isn't really that bad. Just that the front are soooo easy the rear seem difficult. I did reseat them several times over the first day - basically just pushing them firmly into position - but they seem to be staying now.

I haven't had it up to highway speeds yet so I can't really say much about the wind noise. I was used to an Xterra for the past 10 years so the Venza seems much quieter in comparison so I may not be a good judge.

You might want to just get the front only, unless the rear are of real importance to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No luck with Weathertech deflectors yet

I ordered the front pair. I installed the driver side according to the manual. After inserting the thing in the window channel, winding up the window the very first time crushed and broke the machined edge inside the channel as I heard the cracking noise and some chips fell out. Too bad! Then I lowered the window down and rolled it up a couple of times. I've found the window touched the deflector at 80% up and went back down due to resistance. I don't know the clearance was less because the edge was broken inside the channel or the thing had not been seated for 12 hours. Any comment on this ?

I was so disappointed and did not attempt to install the passenger side. I tried to return it but the vendor convinced me to try it again with a replacement they are shipping me.

Any experience installing to share ?

Thanks
BB

·
New Venza owner
42 Posts
I ordered the front pair. I installed the driver side according to the manual. After inserting the thing in the window channel, winding up the window the very first time crushed and broke the machined edge inside the channel as I heard the cracking noise and some chips fell out. Too bad! Then I lowered the window down and rolled it up a couple of times. I've found the window touched the deflector at 80% up and went back down due to resistance. I don't know the clearance was less because the edge was broken inside the channel or the thing had not been seated for 12 hours. Any comment on this ?

I was so disappointed and did not attempt to install the passenger side. I tried to return it but the vendor convinced me to try it again with a replacement they are shipping me.

Any experience installing to share ?

Thanks
BB
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Installing the fronts should not be much of a problem. The only issue I ran into was that I mistakenly put the passenger side inside the rubber channel and not on the outside of it but quickly recognized my mistake before I got it fully in place.

Even when properly installed the auto-up function will fail initially. I had to grab hold of the glass and force it up but there was not breakage involved. After they set for a while everything works fine. I worked my windows up and down quite a few times a few hours after installing just for my own satisfaction that all was well.

Please let us know how it goes the second time around.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
13 Participants
edkate
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing