Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I'm taking a trip its driving me insane that the navigation screen will not remain on full a size screen. After checking my home screen settings, the only option I can find it having it on 2 panels..( I have it currently set to my audio and Navigation ) the other option was 3 panels, but nothing for only "one" panel.
When I'm driving and it comes to a upcoming split in lanes, my Garmin GPS I used in a previous vehicle would show a split screen, (with one showing take the right lane for example.) Now, in the Highlander, when it speaks about this happening, if I touch the screen and it goes to full screen I can see this.. But after about 20 seconds, it returns the the split screen again showing the Audio panel and a half size navigation screen and I have to constantly do this over and over. Any one know of a setting I'm missing to keep the Navigation screen set to being on a constant full screen?

·
Registered
490 Posts
There is an option you need to change in the settings. Uncheck the box for "Return to Home screen" or something to that effect. I'll see if I can find the details.

Found them in another thread about the same thing:

Apps>Setup>General
Then Scroll Down
(Auto Change to Home)
Uncheck Box

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an option you need to change in the settings. Uncheck the box for "Return to Home screen" or something to that effect. I'll see if I can find the details.

Apps>Setup>General
Then Scroll Down
(Auto Change to Home)
Uncheck Box
This is my first opportunity to reply to Vinny68's answer to my post ...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this information...its been something I could not figure out myself...so simple, but hidden just enough I couldn't find it or figure it out.
These forums are so valuable for getting information people may have never found otherwise on their own. Having my Navigation screen remain full size while I'm traveling is a game changer for me ! 😃
THANKS AGAIN VINNY68 😎👍👍👍

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I tried it and it did not work, what am I doing wrong?
Hello Rusty360...
Like you, I just couldn't find it, but rest assured, it's there, just a bit hidden. (WHY DO THEY DO THIS ???) :headbang:
First off, do NOT try to locate where u need to go to do this while the Highlander is moving. Due to the vehicles safety features, if you attempt to find this, 80% of the screen you need to see will be blacked out...What I did, was just sit in the seat,(vehicle turned off), push the start button one time
(without your foot on the brake, no need to start it) and that will start up the head Unit...From your main screen you are going to do exactly like Vinny68 posted.....

Push APPS
Next screen, push SETUP
Next screen, push General
Then scroll down, keep scrolling down until you see the line that says
AUTO CHANGE TO HOME SCREEN....Then just uncheck the Box...

After that, you can go to your Navigation screen and it will remain FULL SCREEN until you decide to push the HOME screen button to return back to the 2 panel view !
I'm going to attach some pictures as well to help you...please let us know if you get it figured out...😎👍👍

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry miss read this, thought this changed it so at start up it would come on full screen not have to touch it every time for full.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry miss read this, thought this changed it so at start up it would come on full screen not have to touch it every time for full.
This is what I was wondering too. I don't think there is an option to have full Nav screen upon start up (it's either 2 or 3 panels). But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I usually don't use the navigation for where I'm going, just to have the map on the screen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why do folks use the built in Nav and not Google maps on their cellphone?
In my case, Toyota Highlanders do not support Apple carplay or Android Auto.
My cell phone carrier is AT&T and they do not offer unlimited data which on a long trip would be costly. ( at least they don't in Indiana ), So the built in Nav works great for me ...only other option would be a Tom Tom or Garmin GPS stuck to my windshield.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This is what I was wondering too. I don't think there is an option to have full Nav screen upon start up (it's either 2 or 3 panels). But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct...Anytime the Highlander is turned off, it will default to starting up again in either 2 Panel or 3 panel as you said. But, once started, all you need to do is touch the Navigation and it will continue to remain on Full Screen until you touch home again if you choose to do that, whereas before you unchecked the return to home screen tab, after about 20 seconds the screen would return to the home screen again automatically.
I also have my Map info set to turn by turn...I think it gives more info than just using the main Navigation screen...( Pictures attached )

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Apps>Setup>General
Then Scroll Down
(Auto Change to Home)
Uncheck Box

Thank you a million times! I was ready to pull out my old Garmin!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
FYI......Google Maps doesn't use much mobile data at all when navigating. In our experiments, it's about 5 MB per hour of driving. Most of Google Maps data use is incurred when initially searching for the destination and charting a course (which you can do on Wi-Fi).May 11, 2019

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
dtown40
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing