Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Highlander Sport 2008
HL Sport 2008
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I don't know for you but my backup camera lens gets dirty because of the turbulence. In the winter it gets stuck in the snow or a mix of sand and salt and in the winter, if I do trail, it gets dusty enough that I can't see anything in the console display.

Anyone tried to put some kind of a deflector to change the turbulence around it to prevent it to get dirty? Thanks all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd like to know this too. My idea was a little motorized cover activated by the reverse lights going on and off. Too bad I'm not that mechanically inclined. Instead I just wipe it off every time I walk by it.

·
Highlander Sport 2008
HL Sport 2008
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the lens become damaged over time if you wipe it when it is covered with dust that can be very abrasive?:confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine hasn't... I always use my finger to clean it. One swipe across is all it takes unless it has ice on it.

·
Aussie TN User
Toyota Kluger KX-S
128 Posts
I always leave a couple of microfibre cloths in the glove box to manage such things. They're good for general cleaning, such as marks on windows, etc.

·
Highlander Sport 2008
HL Sport 2008
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that I can clean it but the idea is to prevent it from getting dirty. When the road is really dirty or when the snow is pretty sticky, it takes 5 minutes for the lens to be covered.

I'm thinking of placing some kind of a very small deflector somewhere around or over it to that the turbulence would happen somewhere else but not on the lens. I think it will be a case of trail an error.

I'll try it this summer and leave a feed back. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
The only item I've ever seen that you're describing are the lens strips that are used in auto racing. For NASCAR, for example, the cameras mounted inside and outside the cars have a clear plastic strip that sits in front of the lens, and when it gets to dirty a command is sent to move the strip just enough to pull the dirty plastic out of the way and place a new, clean section in front of the lens. I don't know if such a device exists as an aftermarket product, but it seems to me it certainly wouldn't cost any more, but would definitely be more effective, than the change of airflow modifications you've mentioned. Food for thought.

-

·
Registered
2008 Highlaner Ltd
14 Posts
Living in a part of the world where they dump untold gazillions of tons of salt and sand on the road during the winter (how else does a city of 5 million get around in the middle of a 10" snowstorm?) I noticed the backup camera does get dirty very quickly. I simply wipe it off with a gloved finger pretty much every time I got in or out of the car.

Now that the question has been raised, I wonder if a spray-on product designed to repell water etc. from the windshield would help in any way. The major difference is the back-up camera lens cover appears to be plastic, which would suggest it would have a different affinity for water than glass, as well as (possibly) holding a static charge which attracts light particles such as salt dust. The reason I mention salt dust and static is I have noticed that the camera gets dirty the fastest on those dry winter days when the roads are pratically white from the caked-on salt left over from a recent visit by a salt spreader truck. Salt dust is very fine and seems to be sucked right on to the back of the car, even when driving at 100 km/h+.

A concern I would have, however, with trying a spray-on repellant product is I don't know what it would do to plastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts