Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey new to the forum. I've been looking all around for info on the new Tundra and can't come across too much solid stuff yet other than some of those covered up spy pics and some info on 5.4L v8s and a possible diesel. Also heard on this forum if a diesel is introduced, it could produce upwards of 700 ft lbs of torque. Doesn't that sound a little steep considering it's Toyota's first HD truck? I'd be surprised to see one get 600 ft lbs if Toyota actually did make a diesel.

That would be great, though that seems unlikely. I just hope Toyota doesn't make a third strike in making a big truck - the T100 never compared (other than reliability) to the American Trucks, and their second shot, the Tundra, still can't come close, as even the heaviest duty Tundra has Dodge Dakota like abilities. A true full size truck, especially with a diesel, definately would be a kick in the pants to Detroit. I've been in and around several brand new Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra trucks and was not impressed by any of them at all. The 02 Silverado constantly was in the shop and the "Profession Grade" Sierra had small defects left and right. But the 6 liter, 345 hp engine of the latter definately has some kick.

Also, will the 4.7 liter remain as well or be totally replaced by the 5.4? The domestics all offer a wide variety of engine choices like one V6, 2 V8s, and a diesel, at least. For a cheaper alternative to the 5.4l, the 4.7 probably wouldn't be a bad choice to keep around. I've driven my dad's Sequoia many times and it's an excellent engine.

And any word on transmission choices? Hopefully trucks other than the 4 liter will get a 6 speed.

Assuming they are related, any word on changes to the Sequoia and Lexus version of it?

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
The new Tundra will have an available 380hp, V8. Not sure on liter size. Diesel version are all just talk right now. This truck will be big and powerful.
There is talk of changing the Sequoia but not until '08 model year I believe. The make the current Tundra and Sequoia in Princeton, In. and it would be tough to do model changes on both in the same year.
I will try to find out about liter displacement and transmissions next week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts