Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who here bought a T100 new back in the day. What reason did you buy it? Were you comparing it with other trucks? Just curious to see what others have to say?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I got my 4x4 off the lot, its an xcab sr5 5spd. I liked the size of the truck it compaired very well with the others i was looking at. I did not want to have a 2500 or even a 1500 for that matter. I was also better constructed than anything else out there at the time. i have gone on to by 2 more another 4wd sold that to get a 2wd i still own 2 and love them both.

Ls1 T100

·
Registered
238 Posts
I didn't buy mine off the lot but my grandfather did. He traded in a tacoma he bought 1 year prior. Said the tacoma was too light and narrow on the road. He was replacing his 1976 GMC 3/4 ton pickup as his daily driver. He would never own anything but a pickup, but wanted something with better gas mileage. I never thought to ask him what made him go to toyotas, but he was sold on them hard core. Had he lived long enough I'm sure he would have bought two more.

That old GM's still going too though!

I have a picture of him somewhere with my brother on the day he bought it.

·
Registered
98 4wd T100
21 Posts
Bought mine in Feb 98 x-cab 4x4 5 speed manual transmission in Tempe AZ to replace my 86 toy 4x4 22r with 250k miles. I now have 205k in my t100 and I am ready to hand it over to my son. I drove a chevy back then and didn't like it.

"Same" clutch, rear brakes, alternator, radiator and ac unit.

Had to replace the timing belt twice, 1 set of plugs and wires, 1 set of front brakes, carrier bearing and left shaft bearing (last month).

I have to rate this truck just a tad better than my 4 cyl 86 toy truck due to its power with a rate of "Excellent"

Major complaints:
AC is ok at best (I live in AZ)
Non-retracting seat belts
Cup holder position

·
Registered
KS
1,461 Posts
My grandpa also bought it new in 96. He traded in his ford f150 that was having tons of problems.

I remember going fishing with him in both trucks. Then he sold it to my dad, then my dad sold it to me when he passed away. Now my dad has his 05 tacoma and i have the 96 T!! just turned over 80k miles.

·
Registered
1996 t100 x-cab
153 Posts
My grandpa also bought it new in 96. He traded in his ford f150 that was having tons of problems.

I remember going fishing with him in both trucks. Then he sold it to my dad, then my dad sold it to me when he passed away. Now my dad has his 05 tacoma and i have the 96 T!! just turned over 80k miles.
80K, You post that just to tease the rest of us.

·
Mmmm Cookies....
iM
526 Posts
If I remember correctly the main reasons the T didn't sell that well is the high price tag and no V8. Since it was built in Japan there was huge import tax on it which made it more expensive that a F150/Chevy. Most people didn't want to spend more $$ to get a smaller v6 powered truck (even though the 3.4 v6 was better than the base 5.0 Ford/Chevy v8s at the time).

·
Mmmm Cookies....
iM
526 Posts
I bought mine from the original owner. He sold it to buy a new Taco. He said he loved it but wanted something new. Unfortunately he spent too much time and money on accessories for it and no time on cleaning the frame and body after the winter.... yay rust.

·
Registered
KS
1,461 Posts
80K, You post that just to tease the rest of us.
Well yeah maybe a little;):D

I plan to have this truck for a long long time. It already has new seats! And have done quite a bit to it to get it up to par. Hopefully this fall it will get a new paint job! Have a buddy who teaches a body class at a local vo-tec program. He needed a project and I told him about mine and he said it would be perfect. Can't wait

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dad bought a 1996 ex cab, sr5, 4x4 in June of 1996. He was looking for a truck that got decent gas milage but enough power to tow a small cattle trailer. I was there when he picked it up and that day I told him when he is ready to move onto another truck I would buy it. It was the only truck that I really liked that he had purchased in a while back then. I bought it from him 8 years ago with about 39,000 plus miles on it and today it sits in my garage in excellent condition with 49,000 plus miles on it. Until about 3 years ago it still had the original windsheild wipers on it and stock tires and rims with 65% tread life left. The truck was always kept inside. He replaced it with a 2002 Tundra and loves that truck. Both him and I have always had trucks as secondary vehicles that is the reason for little miles on them. I would love to buy a new Truck but the amount of miles I put on it a year, I can't justify it. I have a son that is 6 and I keep telling him he will drive it when he turns 16.

·
Registered
1994 T-100
43 Posts
I'm the only owner my truck has ever had. Bought it off the lot in 1994. 117,XXX miles later, I'm still on the original brakes & driveline. Timing belt and plugs at about 100, and that's about it.

Oh yeah, it's had Rotella T15W-40 since day 2...

Paid 16K OTD. V-6,auto,1 ton, sliding rear window...

·
Registered
98 4wd T100
21 Posts
Bought my 98 in Feb of that same year with 8 miles.
Green, X-tra cab, 4X4, manual transmission and it now has 216k miles. (original clutch, rear brakes, alternator, starter, rotors and just repalced the radiator)

Today It's heading to the body shop for a new paint job. I am going to give it to my 17 year old son for his b-day next month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
got mine in 1996 worked across the street from the dealer saw it come off the tractor transporter and just had to go after work and get.i still have it today all original and 180,000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1997 T100 SR5 4x4 5speed Manual White Extra Cab current mileage is 101796. I purchased it new from Tempe Toyota (now Power Toyota).
Minor Mods are rear shackles, upgraded torsion bars and Rancho RS9000's all around (3rd set).
about 150 mile back I finally had to replace front rotor and pads (they were still stock)
Because of all the 4x4ing I am on 2nd clutch and 2nd clutch pedal bracket
3rd set of steering arm bushings
3rd set of rear main seals
Factory Dunlop tires made it about 12,000 miles its been BFG T/A ever since 3rd set
Sorry for all you folks in snow belt I have zero rust issues
Battery Tray broke about 10,000 miles back had to build a new one
Only on my 3rd battery Yellow Tops since factory one died
Broke enough rear abs censors I finally pulled fuse for good
Love My truck hope to have it 13 years from now with another 100K+ miles on it

forgot a few
Replace windshield wiper motor (AC Delco part)
2 time soft line for slave clutch cylinder
speedometer cable
kind of odd that some of parts are AC Delco (the ones that keep failing)

I have always wanted to add supercharger but can not stomach have to feed it premium after the upgrade so no go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts