Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need a new set of shoes for the 2018 RAV and Sams has a deal on these. North Country use but strictly on road. Not many offerings in the 235/55-18 size out there I see. I’m curious about the LT rating. That’s usually more for heavy hauling pickups from what I’ve seen. Any opinion most appreciated, thanks

·
8,164 Posts
I shall not buy anything but Yokohama.
For hybrid, you want LRR tires. Low rolling resistance.
Shop online. Ship to local Discount Tire or installer of choice.

·
straight cash homie
20,432 Posts
I shall not buy anything but Yokohama.
For hybrid, you want LRR tires. Low rolling resistance.
Shop online. Ship to local Discount Tire or installer of choice.
The last set of tires on my Corolla were Yokohamas, and they didn't last 3 years. I don't hate Yoks, but certain models do better than others.

·
8,164 Posts
I had 1st set of Yokos, they lasted 20K miles over tread warranty. I replaced them "just because" with over 80K miles on them. They never hydroplaned or failed me in snow.
Best tires I ever had.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m no lover of any particular brand myself having seen garbage from all of them at one time or another. Especially tires for Anything That comes on a new car OEM. They must make a special cheap line to wholesale peddle to manufacturers. I too saw junk OEM Yokohama’s on a Honda but that was 30 years ago. From what I’ve seen all tires generally went seriously downhill since the 90s. Just sayin, Prior to that I never saw a crack in a tire unless it was gracing some guys front yard as a flower pot. Today 4 years old is considered old, pathetic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do.
When I worked for Tire Kingdom 1995-1997 (that was 10 hours a day 7 days a week) Yokahamas didn't last long and didn't balance well. By long I mean less than 40K. By well I mean more than 1 ounce of weight on a new tire. Every set balanced differently.

On my 2015 RAV 4 the Dunlops Grand Treks that came with the car lasted 58K. They are a $600 tire, They ride and corner well, and wear square as long as you rotate them every 6K like you are supposed to. Dunlop is a good trade-off from a Michelin and the run-of-the-mill tire. Over the years on many cars, they ride nice.

The worst riding tire out there is Sumitomo, and extemely noisy to boot. Hard rubber, they last forever. But you pay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts