Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 yoda
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems in this car that even when the units turned off it seems to go into somekind of standby mode and is still draining enough to drain overnight.

i thought it was my old pioneer cd headunit that i had was bad or wired wrong because i had it for 12 years so i bought a brand new JVC cd head unit with detachable face and had a pro shop install it. "something i hate to do because i always install my own systems"..

but i wanted to get this bug squashed...well its draining it again even with the face plate removed.

there are no lights on anywhere ive checked. no trunk light is on, or dash light, nothing.

if i unhook the terminals at the battery the the battery dosent go dead. ill tap the lil terminal ring on the postive terminal and ill get a lil draw drain sparkage. this cd player is doing the same thing the pioneer was doing. not shutting off all the way. ill hit a button and wallaLA powers right on without the power button even being touched.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So the radio works without a key? If yes, then of course it could kill a weak battery because you probably don't have the power remote wire hooked up right. If there is an amp hooked up that way then double that likelyhood. It is probably wired directly to the battery instead of through the ignition switch.

Solution: pull out the radio fuse. Check if draining continues. If you know how, check voltage through fuse holder (car side) and grounded to the frame. If the draining stops, remove HU and check for cut and spliced connectors on the car side of the HU coupler. Somebody may have Mickey Moused it:headbang: BTW: that's assuming you bought the corolla socket adapter that you should have for the HU in the first place and didn't just connect wires directly from car to HU.

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
radio installed the wrong way

·
Registered
1993 yoda
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
whats that?> corolla socket adapter

so the radios in these cars cant be wired like a regualr cars headunit on proper wires?. i paid to have it put in at a pro audio shop... so its in right. maybe the guy didnt know it needed some fancy part?.:confused:

btw wheres the fuse box at?.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
whats that?> corolla socket adapter

so the radios in these cars cant be wired like a regualr cars headunit on proper wires?. i paid to have it put in at a pro audio shop... so its in right. maybe the guy didnt know it needed some fancy part?.:confused:
Basically, when a radio is connected at the factory, it's just a harness to clip in and out. After market radios do not have these (just bare plain wire off the connector on the head itself), so they need an adapter that connects to the one in the car, and then has bare leads going off it to connect to the ones on the stereo. It's not a fancy part, one for all Toyota's made after '87 I believe can be had at Wal-Mart for $5.

Btw, the wire that you should check to make sure it is installed correctly is the ignition wire, which will be Gray on the stock connectors/wire in the car and Red on the adapaters and stereo wiring.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think this is right:
battery = blue & yellow stripe for corolla (yellow is industry standard for equipment)
ignition switch = grey for corolla (red is industry standard for equipment)

Fuse panel is by your left leg under the steering wheel. I think the radio fuse in there. If not then it will be in the engine bay by the battery. The direct battery wire (blue & yellow stripe) should run through that fuse. Pull the fuse and test if the battery continues to drain as you did before. If it stops then you know what caused it.

Also, does the radio turn on without a key??? Did you have an amp installed???

I think the battery wire was installed directly with the ignition wire. Was any radio work done before this recent shop? I bet somebody switched wires around before and probably cut the harness socket mate off the car. If that happened, then it is possible that the shop didn't know. Also, there is a chance that the two wires were switched and you are running high current through the ignition switch. That would be a bad thing:hammer: Best thing to do is pull the radio and report back if there is a harness socket mate from the car snapped into the harness socket mate attached to the HU. If the harness mates are snapped together then see if there any crimped wires on the car side of the connection and then identify where the wires join (crimped) together. What color wires are crimped to each side of the crimps? Pictures are best.

·
Registered
1993 yoda
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya it didnt have a harness or snap harness at all. just wires the first owner lady seems to have had it snipped and had a crappy old cassette in there i removed.

im taking it back and he"ll look at it or add me a glowing blue toggle on the side of my trim plate "more toys!" if it cant be fixed to actually turn all the way off which it isnt doing now.

thanks for help.:welcome:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Easy:

-blue and yellow stripe from car to yellow on HU.
-grey on car to red on HU.
-black on car to black on HU.
-and so on...
moral= you can never assume what the previous owner did or didn't do:ugh3:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts